Some Girls

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Stratofreak, Jun 9, 2019.

1. mikefair

mikefair Supporting Member

I guess all the negative comments are objectively true - Ron Wood certainly isn't Tommy Emmanuel; the songs are mostly 1 - 4 vamps; Mick affecting a country singer persona is cartoonish, but these boys ain't phoning it in. Every time I hear this record my pulse rate quickens. I want to throw my fist into the air. I want to dance around the room. That never happens when I listen to Satriani or Eric Johnson or...well...Tommy Emmanuel. Ever.

Under oath I guess I would have to say Exile is my favorite Stones album, but I couldn't love this any more than I do. For the record, I should probably state that this is my opinion.

2. Hammered

Hammered Supporting Member

Sometimes I forget back then at 12 yrs old I didn’t always have $5.98 laying around to buy an album whenever I felt like it

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    DiPa likes this.
  3. ozraves

ozraves Member

Some Girls is a solid album. Anyone other than the Beatles would be proud to have it in their discography.

erksin and Vintage_ like this.
  4. Andres6and8

Andres6and8 Member

I'm considerably younger than most people here, but like so many, Some Girls was the first complete Stones album I listened to.
    Very few albums open up with as cool of a riff as Keith Richards' "Miss You."

5. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

Solid is a word that keeps coming up and I would agree, it is a solid album but lacks the edge that makes the Stones who they are. It strikes me as a more conventional rock album rather than a rock and roll album, and that's what has always distinguished them for me. As several have pointed out, less Keith more Mick influence for the obvious reasons (except of course for the great Before They Make Me Run)

6. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I think he went in with the intention of escaping all the BS and making an easy huge buck, plus, following Mick Taylor into the Stones , there was no bigger prestige and pedigree enhancing move he could have made.
    And he fit in. He had the look, he easily has the chops.
    I think he just got sick of the Faces on again off again crap and wanted to get out there in front of people and play in a sure fire thing.
    You gotta figure, he had been through the Itchycoo Park pop sensation pretty boy thing with Steve Marriott only to have Mr Marriott bail and jump into a whole new thing with Rod Stewart, then suddenly the labels see Rod Stewart as a cash cow hit machine so Faces takes a back seat, then Ronnie Lane gets ill and eventually succumbs to a debilitating disease.
    Joining the Stones and just touring and recording and sitting in the back of the bus on the way to gigs knowing exactly what his situation was likely to be for the short term must have been an easy gig after all the crap he had been through.

Also, in spite of the public persona Mick Jagger has, he is one smart dude. He knows how to make the Stones make money for the Stones instead of for everyone else, so even if Mr Wood was only on a salary, no doubt it would be a huge salary and guaranteed.

And of course, if he writes a song on a Stones album and the album does great ( even Stones albums that suck sell great just because they are the Stones) he gets paid royalties for every copy sold. Even if the song never gets played on the radio Joining the Stones was a no lose situation.

In other words, joining the Stones was a very smart business move.

If you haven't heard it, there is a Ronnie Lane/Ron Wood album, I forget the name, but it sounds a lot like the Long Player/Nod Faces, I consider it to be the third in a trio of great Faces albums.
    It kicks ass.
    I was lucky enough to come across a CD of it in a junk store for a buck or 50 cents some years ago, and was blown away that I had even found a copy, and more so with how good it is.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Johnny Ninefingers, e???, PdL and 2 others like this.
  7. Ramboorider

Ramboorider Member

Ronnie was the type of "perfect foil" Keith always wanted, the ancient art of weaving and all that. BUT, true as that might have been, I don't think having Ronnie there got Keith to do his best work, not by a long shot. I think it's kind of ironic that Mick Taylor was the second guitarist LEAST like what Keith said he always wanted to interact with but it's pretty hard to deny that the Stones, and Keef hisownself, was at a creative peak when MT was playing with them.

My amateur theory on that is it forced Keith to just play rhythm, since Mick was such a pure lead player. And even if he'd have rather played rhythm with someone else weaving in and out, like either Ronnie or Brian, having that sole responsibility really pulled the best out of the guy. Nobody else is gonna help me weave this into a riff - I'm just gonna have to do it myself. As great a lead player as Mick Taylor was in concert, he didn't really do all that much on record except on a couple of cuts on Sticky Fingers, like Sway and Can't You Hear Me Knocking' where he really got a chance to stretch out. But for the most part, from Beggars through Exile, Keith was playing EVERYTHING that mattered in the studio. And he came up with a lot of their most brilliant stuff ever during that time.

It's not the way he WANTED it to work out, but it worked out that way and they were at their best when it did. As someone once wrote in a song somewhere, you can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes you just might get what you neeeeeeed.

DrumBob, AZJim and DiPa like this.
  8. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Mick J. was upset when MT quit the band, yeah it created an arena and an opportunity for Keef to step up, he has since come up with killer licks and lines, the Stones was not about have a top notch world class lead guitarist, I feel they are a world class rythem guitar band playing Rock with few killer catchy lines.

9. hippietim

hippietim Member

As long as we can all agree that the Stones are better than the Beatles, things will be fine.

:fisticuffs

10. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

Oh I got that part. Maybe it’s fun to play that way. But I don’t find it interesting as a listener.

supergenius365 likes this.
  11. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

His last name is Wood.

12. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Listen closely to all the licks weaving in and out of the background on Miss You. They are sweet as hell.

fretless and Stratofreak like this.
  13. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

Jagger/Richards:
    "White girls they're pretty funny
    Sometimes they drive me mad
    Black girls just wanna get ______ all night
    I just don't have that much jam"

14. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

And now we know why you have 14,607 posts. DrumBob, saving the world, one typo at a time.

15. Ramboorider

Ramboorider Member

Well, the Stones were around back in the days when misogyny was just a freaking given. It really pisses me off that songs like Under My Thumb and Stray Cat Blues have lyrics that I could never bring myself to sing today because they're such great songs otherwise. Hell, I get embarrassed sitting in my man cave singing them with nobody else around. With two 30-something daughters, I just can't get myself to sing about 15 year old girls. At least by the time they got to Some girls, almost all of their sexist lyrics were tongue in cheek. Some Girls is a blast to play, because it's ALL about whether you're feeling enough swagger to pull off the rhythm on a given day. Some days yeah, some days not even close.

16. Timcito

Timcito Member

As you say, each to his own; Goat's Head Soup is my favourite Stones album. Great songs without the glitz, and some of the finest rock guitar playing ever recorded from Mick Taylor. His laid back, fluid soloing with that edge of overdrive on 'Hide Your Love' … oh, so very, very fine.

hatfield92 and PdL like this.
  17. cottonmike

cottonmike Member

Go Cats.

Ramboorider likes this.
  18. Hammered

Hammered Supporting Member

Obviously this one`s not from Some Girls but it`s from the tour. These guys are just slamming this one out. Looked like it would have been a blast to be in that audience

GA20T and middlechainringguy like this.
  19. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

What kind of figuring do I gotta do to put Ron Wood in the Small Faces with Steve Marriott?
    What are the odds that a typo would coincide with what a lot of people call him, out loud, twice?

20. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

My daughter is fifteen years old! Yes naughty nasty negative. My kid let’s me know how wrong the world was that I grew up in. Corrects me immediately, as well as books, shows and songs. Dinah Moe Hum?