• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Some Girls

MrTAteMyBalls

Indeed. I would spend hours trying to get Ron Woods style down.
I still like to bust out and play the intro to "Miss Judys Farm", it just sounds great and is fun to play. I would play that over and over again, just because it is a cool sound. Nothing but a guitar though a cranked tube amp.
That dude could do more with just a guitar and amp than most could do with stomp pedals. Which, thank God, during the first half of the rock era weren't all that common, and distortion pedals didn't even exist.
I still remember all the guitar work to "Had Me A Real Good Time" as well.
I first picked up a slide in '70 or '71 because of Ron Woods work on those albums.

That was the cool thing about rock guitarists, it was about who could do the most creative licks and get the coolest sounds from a guitar and an amp, not a race to see who could run scales the fastest.

Also, Mr T ate you balls? WTH? I've heard of mountain oysters, but....

Mr T Ate My Balls was the first or one of the very first internet memes.

Sorry. I come from the 90's.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
I remember hating it when it came out due to the disco influence. IIRC, Shakedown Street came out around the same time...The Dead went disco too...LOL. I like both albums now, in fact, we do "Miss You" every gig - super popular with people, believe it or not.

Beyondless

It's also the height of Keith Richards stupidity with Heroin - he had been busted up in Canada and was in constant legal trouble through out 1977 - and there was the very real possibility that he might have ended up in jail for a long time - that prospect I think also contributed to the overall straight forward feel of the album.
Keith's vocal on "Before They Make Me Run" sounds like he keeps looking over his shoulder :eek:

drewl

It was a pretty damn big event when Some Girls was released.

People all over school were playing it, it was all over the radio.

I was at a party when they played SNL, imagine like two hundred people crammed into a house trying to watch an old console tv!

Shadoobe.

Ephi82

i can’t believe anyone would dare to claim Wood is an average guitarist. Especially on a guitarist forum. Moronic.

Some Girls literally jumped out of the speakers and grabbed you by the throat. You want disco, here’s Miss You mutha f er. You want punk ethos and energy, try not to bleed When The Whip Comes Down. Want some swampy, silky R&B styled rock guitars, groove on Beast of Burden.

I believe this recording saved the career of The Rolling Stones. Mick Jagger and Woods lead the way. Bill Wyman shines.

That video of Some Girls tour in Texas is very cool. Great opportunity to hear the difference between the Boogie and Fender amps. Most of the Some Girls tunes are through the Boogies, earlier material through the Fenders. Truly a feast of guitar tone. This shows Ron Wood at near his best, picking up the slack for a drug addled Richards.

Jon C

Gold Supporting Member
Definitely not my favorite (or even top 3?) Stones album imo but I'm in the minority there (and fine with it). I like it (mostly), don't love it.

Ronnie Wood is great at what he does (no need to be a virtuoso).

karmadave

Silver Supporting Member
Great album. Got it when it was first released. Played the heck out of it. The album still holds up pretty well today :)

boo radley

Definitely not my favorite (or even top 3?) Stones album imo but I'm in the minority there (and fine with it). I like it (mostly), don't love it.

Ronnie Wood is great at what he does (no need to be a virtuoso).
I don't think your opinion puts you in the minority there, here, or outside of TGP.

It's got some great songs, and was deliberately provocative as you'd expect from the Stones, but I don't think it quite slammed everyone in the: "We're still here and the world's greatest..." sense like Tattoo You did.

As far as Some Girls being Top 3, and dethroning Exile or Sticky, etc., nah, but it's a very cool album. And Wood integrated perfectly, IMO.

Rockledge

Mr T Ate My Balls was the first or one of the very first internet memes.

Sorry. I come from the 90's.

I come from WAY before then. My grandkids are from the 90s.
And I still haven't caught up with much of the internet jargon ( and have admittedly not tried to).

Average, my azz!!! :nuts
Indeed. Ron Wood is one of the gems from the rock era, and thank God he never followed some of the other guitar greats off into wanker hell and stayed true to his roots.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Has some great stuff but I thought David Johansen’s solo LP of the same time period was a whole lot better for a Stones-style rock record.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
P.S. I attended the New Barbarians concert circa April ‘79 Crisler Arena Ann Arbor, MI, shortly after Keith got out of his Canada problem. Happened to have seats as high up and far away as possible. And from that vantage point we could clearly see the mirrored table by the drums with what looked like a overturned 5 pound sack of flour and around which the band gathered between songs. The stage was all red velvet and white ermine like something out of Poe’s Masque tale.

Trending Topics