• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Some Girls

CowTipton

Gold Supporting Member
One of my all-time favorite bands but this album never did much for me.
Not my cup o' tea as it were.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
I was fortunate enough to be @3 rows back for that gig. Amazing show! There's a decent sound board audio recording available as "Garden State '78" for those curious.
Yes, great show. I've had that bootleg for years.

BlueRiff

And quite a negative old man yelling at clouds one it is.....seriously the Stones needed to move forward not backwards.
He's not yelling at clouds - he's yelling about old stuff - not new things he can't accept. Not to mention he's right. SG is a step backwards.

sah5150

:)

To clarify, I actually don't dislike Ronnie at all. My flippant comment was in the context of the Stones only...

I think he was great, absolutely irreplaceable, with Rod Stewart and the Faces. I just don't like the direction the Stones took after he joined, which may be no fault of his, frankly... although I do prefer Mick Taylor's lead playing in the context of the Stones.

Steve

Last edited:

Stratofreak

Beggar's Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main Street

Probably the greatest four album run by any rock band in history.

Anything after these... well...

Steve
Beggar's Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main Street

Without a doubt, the greatest four album run by any rock band in history. Fixed it for you.

Nobtwiddler

"I think that Some Girls is better than Exile on Main Street"

REALLY?
Have you really listened???
The emotional performances captured by everyone involved in the creation of Exile, is untouchable !
Really the epitome of Rock n Roll in its heyday.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member

To clarify, I actually don't dislike Ronnie at all. My flippant comment was in the context of the Stones only...

I think he was great, absolutely irreplaceable, with Rod Stewart and the Faces. I just don't like the direction the Stones took after he joined, which may be no fault of his, frankly... although I do prefer Mick Taylor's lead playing in the context of the Stones.

Steve
I get that. Taylor was around for the apex of songwriting and a pretty clear division of lead and rhythm guitar parts.

Ronnie came in as the band was shifting in multiple facets. I think he’s pretty underrated as far as meshing with the ever changing direction they went in.

I don’t really prefer one player over the other. I definitely agree the songwriting suffered as the 70s wore on.

I do, however, think that many guitarists could have filled the role Taylor had pretty easily but that it would be much harder to find someone who could chameleon as well as Woody once things got more blurred in the writing and playing.

urizen

Gold Supporting Member
I LOVE Some Girls.... Jim has perfect mix of rawness and desperation in his voice & playing:

I'd like to hear those English guys cover this: Could be right up their alley (or mew?), like the covers they did way back in the glorious Waaaay Back:

Last edited:

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member

Steve
It was no more “Rod Stewart and the Faces” than it was “Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones.”

Trending Topics