Some help needed here.... Popping content...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by josh.rigaud, Jan 25, 2012.

1. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

Ive posted a similar question before, but came up empty handed. Just searched the forum and couldn’t exactly find an answer.
    I have a JHS little black buffer. Here is the prob. I turn my gear on. And ONLY the 1st 3 pedals ( Turbo tuner > BB > Shiba ) that are placed after it will pop like its gonna explode….. for about 10 minutes then it goes away and becomes dead quiet again. It just happens when I just turn the stuff on. Now I had this problem earlier when I had the polytune. I had read that many people with the polytune had the same thing happen ( thinking the problem was with the poly) . I now have a turbo tuner and was surprised when it did it again. Only with the polytune it would not stop. ]

Is there something up with my buffer? Electricity? What could it be?

2. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

Aw cmon ... get back up there ... Noone?

3. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Have you tried taking the buffer out and seeing what happens? What kind of power supply are you using? What kind of cables are you using? How many pedals are in your chain and how are you powering them all?

4. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

yea, I took the buffer off, no prob. Mogami instrument cables and Goerge L's between pedals. I am runnin 8 pedals. For my time factor I use its wall wart. My carl Martin Compressor/limiter has its own power cable. The remaining 6 pedals are powered by my dc brick......

5. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

Weird thing is, to me at least, that it only does it for aprox. 10 minutes. Then quiets down.

6. Zirk

Zirk Member

Have you contacted JHS? they would be able tell you if its even possible for the Buffer to do that. Ive never heard of it before. JHS is really cool about that stuff so Id run it by them.

7. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

Yea, Ill shoot them a message. Thing is that even IF they were to send me a new one or whatever, Im in Brazil now. It will cost me as much to send it there and have them send it back, as it would to buy a new one.

8. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

I had a double barrel once that did this, every switch in my bypass looper started popping with it plugged in, made a tone of noise too. Without it everything was perfect and noise free. The wiring inside was pretty shoddy looking, but their quality control seems to have improved. I've had a couple of their pedals since then that were fine. At one point on a thread here Josh said that if you had an older one with messy insides he would replace it with a new one for free. You should check with them on that too.

9. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

That doesnt sound half bad actually. Altho, I dont know if mine woul dbe considered old. I bought it, lprobably a little under a year ago. I just sent them a message and will be waiting for a reply.

10. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

Welp, I exchanged a few messages with JHS. They recomended placing it, again, after the tuner. Because the buffer is pushing a ton of signal thru, and when that gets cut off completely it could have that popping effect. They mentioned that thats why many buffers dont have a on/off switch in the 1st place....... problem is that its doing it again. Even after the tuner... And harder, for little while, then it stops....... I dont get it