Some help with delay needed.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by auffredou, Jun 26, 2008.

1. auffredou

auffredou Member

Im pretty much starting from scratch here as I recently cleared out most of my pedals in order to afford a new tele :BEER . Im going for a different style these days and planned on getting some new stuff anyway.

Is there any point in having something line a Line 6 DL4 along with a boss dd-7 and rv-3 on a board, or would it be redundant? My most recent purchases have been a rat and an RV-3. Im trying to decide if this many delays would be overload, or perhaps if I should skip the dd-7 completely and just pair an RV-3 with a DL-4.

For guidelines on what Im aiming at, think that "indie" (for lack of a better word) style by guys like Jon Buckland, Jonny Greenwood, Bloc Party, Death Cab, etc.

Im also trying to decide if I need a compliment to my RAT that Ive got coming. Maybe it will cover it all? Im trying to squeeze all the "essentials" for the sound Im aiming at on a Pedlatrain JR. that I recently got, and the initial plan was some delay, an OD/Distortion or two, maybe tremolo, tuner, etc.

2. auffredou

auffredou Member

3. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I would say it's overkill to have a DD7 and DL4. I happen to like the DD7 and DL4 (won't find many more DL4 supporters here), here's a comparison:

-Both have tap tempo, digital delay, and analog delay mod
    -DD7 has better rhythm delays - specifically dotted eighth and dotted quarter
    -DL4 has more kinds of delay (tape, analog plus mod, lo-res, etc)
    -DL4 lets you save 3 presets for different kinds of delay/tempos while the DD7 you'll have to twist a knob to get a different kind of delay or rhythm setting
    - DD7 will take up less space
    - while I've never had a problem with the DL4's reliability, others have. The DD7 will be less likely to break on you.

Honestly I think either would work for you, just depends on the convenience to size ratio.

In terms of other pedals, I would get a second OD or a boost pedal to put before the RAT so you can push it's gain harder if you want.

Hope that helps!

4. auffredou

auffredou Member

great info frizbplaya, thanks!

5. auffredou

auffredou Member

I was leaning towards the dd7 recently. I was thinking the only benefit I would miss is the presets available through the DL4 on the fly. Being a pedaltrain JR user, the dd7 will definitely have the size advantage though, and my last concern was the dotted eight type rhythms, so I think you made the decision a little easier!

6. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

I don't personally think the DL-4 and DD-7 on the same board being overkill. But I think any more on top of that would be overkill (not including a reverb unit). The DD-7 is a solid delay pedal but you get more spacey and warped sounds out of the DL-4. I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for in your style of music but if you want something to create more of an ambiance, the DL-4 would be perfect.