Some High End Stratocaster Cork Sniffin'

ewheel

Oh yes, I think she's a beauty, but could you pay that kind of money for a guitar with no truss rod? I see the point they're making, but it would still give me pause.

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/...ake-Placid-Blue-Masterbuilt-by-Mark-Kendrick/

63_Stratocaster_NoRod_Lake_Placid_Blue_Masterbuilt_Mark_Kendrick_R48554_1.jpg

germs

no.

no way in f*cking hell would i pay that sort of money for a maple necked guitar with no truss rod.

i GET the idea, but unless that came with a Lifetime Guarantee against warpage, twist, or what have you...just, no.

dspellman

I don't buy the premise, for starters, that pausing in the carving process stabilizes a neck to such a degree that it won't shift. That aside, I have a difficult time with justifying a $5200 stratocaster, period. I figure if I have to tell a story about a guitar in order to justify the price, then the guitar isn't worth the money. "I had to pay extra for them to leave out a piece that fixes it if it's screwed up, and that every $100 version of this guitar has. And yes, it looks like an old and beat up version of that $100 guitar and I paid extra for that too. And yeah, I know that the $100 guitar sounds pretty much like this one."

Polynitro

what a great idea....NOT! :rotflmao

I like the quote about guitarist looking for that missing tone for the last 60 years. You know that great Strat sans trussrod tone that never existed.

Bluestar

Double Platinum Member
A guitar without a truss rod probably has the same potential for issues that a guitar with a non adjustable truss rod has. I really don't think such potential issues alone would scare me way from buying, say, a vintage Martin without a truss rod or with a non adjustable one LOL. I'm biased because I have a Mark Kendrick 50th Anniversary Masterbuilt Stratocaster, but if he put his name and rep on this line with the OP Stratocaster, IMO any buyer will be on pretty safe ground.

Radagacuca

awesome! pay more, get less!
wonder why they put frets on the neck though...

luckily my local greece restaurant hasn´t figuered these tactics out yet!
:D

Pedro58

Silver Supporting Member
It's just something else to market. I think it will work just fine, too. The part I find laughable is that they know what Leo Fender was thinking in the early 50's.

LReese

I'd think it would actually be cheaper to produce a neck this way... I guess there would be a bit of tradeoff in terms of attention in terms of fretboard prep.

But - having never tried a non-trussrod neck, I'll reserve judgement on sonic benefit... One thing I'll say on the subject of having that piece of Steel in the neck is - well:

You have that big chunk of steel in the bridge...

damo7v

Cringed at the name... Not Rod... :facepalm

Perhaps it's also quite telling that the press blurb explains what a truss rod is - because the target audience aren't necessarily players?

bazooka47

No interest here. They spend six paragraphs on the straight-faced sales pitch, and it's still not convincing that this Strat is superior in tone to all that have come before it.

I haven't played tons of Strats, but my EJ Strat sounds pretty damn good. I personally don't need anything better.

Some will differ.

That lake Placid blue does look cool, though.

Astro Strat

The Music Zoo is a joke. They always think they have to skyrocket the price on anything and everything. I always see their crap on eBay and it never sells.

monty

No way.
I'm the type that will let things like that bother me (what ifs).
Strats sound just fine with the TR IMO.

Bluestar

Double Platinum Member
Well, FWIW, according to The Fender Telecaster by A.R. Duchossoir (Hal Leonard Publishing, 1991), the Esquire, the first production Fender guitar, did not have a truss rod, specifically because Leo Fender thought a truss rod was not necessary as the neck was strong enough to handle string tension - urban legend is he had his theory tested at the factory by having someone stand on the neck while a Esquire was suspended between chairs (page 12). Leo Fender eventually agreed with Don Randall (and presumably others), and truss rods appeared on the second production Fender, the Broadcaster, and (IIRC) have been in Fenders ever since.

JRC4558Dude

"Plus, a solid, truss rod-free neck is how the very first Fender solidbodies were made, and that's just cool."

Actually, there isn't anything "cool" about it. Leo Fender originally thought it was unnecessary to install a trussrod. After the necks on early-production Broadcasters warped, he changed his mind.

The "very first" Les Pauls came with trapeze tailpeices. It was a dumb design in 1952, and it's still dumb in 2010! Same goes for building a Strat without a truss rod!

Beautiful guitar, though. Love that Lake Placid Blue.

Last edited:

buddastrat

lol, JRC, No way on this. I guess the only way to adjust the neck is by using different gauge strings. Though I do see the neck to be 1/4 sawn which can help make it stable.

That's a lotta dough. I wonder if they have got the block right yet? Mike Eldred told me the blocks are exactly like the original! I guess he needs glasses because he can't see the deep string holes and whatever they paint or powdercoat them with.

wizard333

That has to be the dumbest GD thing I've seen in a long time. I guess there's one born every minute, some goof ball will buy it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom