Some Hughes & Kettner Triamp Clips

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SFW, Oct 9, 2008.

1. SFW

SFW Member

I don't see many Triamp threads, so I thought I'd get some clips together and post them... since this is the amp forum...lol.
    Clip Info:
    The first two clips where recorded with my Les Paul, loaded with Duncan 59s w/ Alnico II magnets. There is a bit of delay going on from a DD-6 in the amp's loop. Marshall 1960AX cab. with Greenbacks. Recored using a Shure SM57 to a Korg D16XD. No EQ at the recorder.

Triamp Channel 3B rock riffs : http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=760600&songID=6957011
    More Channel 3B rock riffage : http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=760600&songID=6959996

This next clip is of the Triamp's Clean channel. (1A) I used my ESP M-103 on the neck and middle pickups.
    Triamp Channel 1A Clean Tones: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=760600&songID=6955463

Last, I decided to bring some thunder to the mix. Played this one with my ESP Eclipse tuned to B. Same amp settings as the first two clips, but the lower tuning sounds wicked thick.
    Triamp Heavy Riffage: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=760600&songID=6955227

Here are some pics of the setup:
    The Recording console...
    [​IMG]
    Channel 3 settings...
    [​IMG]
    The mic setup...
    [​IMG]
    Hope you guys enjoy...
    Joel

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  2. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

INteresting pics. My Triamp looks so different to that, completely different front panel look.

3. SFW

SFW Member

You probably own a Mark II. Mine is a Mark I. The major difference between the two is that the Mark I came with 6L6s.

4. The Captain

Yeah, mine is a MkII, bu tit came with 6L6's too, which I have stuck with. There is a huge cosmetic change though.

5. SFW

SFW Member

Yeah, yours looks much nicer. :)

6. Mc Tanza

Mc Tanza Member

Great thread and clips SFW. I also own a MK II and am in love with the amp. Your tone is more agressive and has more sizzle than mine, speakers and cab must play a big role in that regard. Also I have EL34 instead of 6l6. Power tubes aside, the differences between the MK I and MK II are deeper than just the cosmetic part. I see that you favor the 3B channel for 80's rock sound. I usually prefer the 3A to spit those fantastic Still of the Night riffs, I get the perfect ├╝ber-Marshall tone in that mode. I use 3B when I want to shake the walls of my whole neighbourhood. Cheers.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  7. SFW

SFW Member

On the Mark I, 3A is a little muddy. So I use 3B for most of my high gain needs. Yes, there are some big changes in tones between the I & II versions. I would love a Mk II, but with the price diference... well, the Mark I gets the job done for the time being. ;)

8. Mc Tanza

Mc Tanza Member

And it gets the job very well done, indeed. The MK I is a great deal on the used market nowadays, a lot of amp for the dough. Try swaping tubes to solve your problem with 3A. I have a pair of NOS Tungsrams in the first two slots for channel 3. Great tubes for gainy stuff.

9. SFW

SFW Member

I have an NOS Mullard in the slot for 3A. It did do wonders to help the channel, but it's still a little too loose on the bottom for my liking. I probably need to change the power tubes soon, so we'll see if that helps any.

10. The Captain

Ooooooooooh, I use 2B for uber-Marshall. It roars !!
    I run mine through the matching H&K slant quad with greenies, which is quite a bright cab and impart a real crunch all of it's own. I've tried making some clips, but they never do it justice.