Some Kansas cover tunes

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by billdurham, Jun 5, 2006.

1. billdurham

billdurham Member

2. JLeurck

JLeurck Member

Really great! That is probably my favorite all-time rock band. I'm pretty intimate with ALL of these songs. The vocals on these are particularly terriffic. The Masque tracks really capture the guitar tones of that period of Kansas, too. Well done! Just lacks a really great drummer and authentic keys. I'd love to play in a band that covers this kind of stuff. I heard Jake sing on "The December People" Christmas CD. Terriffic singer! I don't recognize the names of the other folks but all of this sounds tight. I was beginning to think I was one of the only ones out there that digs this band. Bravo! To this day, any time Kansas or Jethro Tull come near, I'll go check them out. I think the level of musicianship in those two bands, coupled with Ian Anderson and Kerry Livgren's songwriting really make these two unique. That and they both have an odd occasional lead instrument for a rock band (flute in Tull's case, Robbie Steinhardt's violin for Kansas). Very cool, Bill. Thanks for sharing this!

3. JLeurck

JLeurck Member

I'm listening to "Belexes" now, the MIDI key parts are actually good, but this is just a kick-ass drummer away from really happening. The bass, guitars and vocals are THERE. I enjoying checking them all out. You guys put a lot of work into nailing these arrangements. Good job, Bill and gang!

4. Staceydude

Staceydude Member

5. refin

refin Member

Just sent your tunes to Dave Hope,original bass player for the band---we play together every Sunday.
    I'll give it a listen later!

6. enchan-ted

enchan-ted Member

so bummed to have not been part of this. I'm a Kansas freak and have a Walshish voice. I sing for a prog rock group called Enchant. If you add any more songs to this project pleeeeeeeese contact me.

Ted Leonard

7. refin

refin Member

Just listened---very good!!
    As stated before,I sent the page to original bassist Dave Hope,and he said it was better than he had heard before of Kansas covers.

8. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Great vocalist! Though you may want to align the harmonies on the intro in Carry On so they're all coming at the same time. You gotta do "Point of No Return" Kansas rocks!

9. billdurham

billdurham Member

Wow Guys! I'm overwhelmed! I really appreciate the compliments and I will pass along these to the guys that participated. It really was a fun project and I understand the drum comments as well. It is definetly the weak link in my recording system.

If you guys are not active already, there is a pretty large group of internet active fans for Kansas.
    www.kansasfans.com is where a lot of the folks that participated in the project hang out.

I agree totally with all your observations about Kansas. Between Livgrens songs and Walsh's pipes it was a hell of a combination... not that they couldn't play as well.

The production of Carry On Wayward Son was not done by me, I only contributed guitars on that one and did not do the mix on it.

I am trully honored that you sent that link to Dave Hope. To my ears, he was the virtuoso musician in the group. His creative contributions to the songs really made them unique, please pass along my gratitude for his comments.

thanks again
    Bill Durham

10. billdurham

billdurham Member

JL,

The Belexes midi was done by Vic Sagerquist and is quite the story. His midis that I used were Belexes and Cheyenne Anthem, and as you say, they are just about perfect. He is a score writer out in LA that used Kansas songs to learn scoring software! He had been writing his works with pen and paper but used the Kansas songs to learn with! His instrument is violin, and doesn't play other instruments! He step sequenced all of that with a mouse and computer keyboard, not a musical keyboard.

thanks again
    BD

11. billdurham

billdurham Member

Ted,

Cool, I will definetly keep you in mind. Do you have any tunes up on the web anywhere?

thanks again for the listens
    BD

12. gennation

gennation Member

Sounds REALLY good. Way to cover the instrumention too. It must've been a fun project.

The vocalist, Jake Livgren...any relation to Kerry?

Also, the vocalist, April Bower, shows prime to do a cover of Uriah Heep tunes :) Just a thought.

Great stuff though! Enjoyable to hear it all.

13. enchan-ted

enchan-ted Member

Yes, my bands website is www.theoasis.cc There are a lot of clips on there. The ones that come up first are the live clips so...uh, ahem...skip past those.

Ted

14. billdurham

billdurham Member

thanks muchly for the listens,

BD

15. refin

refin Member

Bill,Dave was really impressed with the vocalist....he sent the link to Rich Williams......

16. billdurham

billdurham Member

Refin,

that is so cool! There were a lot of really good performances vocally but I really liked the stuff that Darrell Woodard did. Darrell and Jakes work on Child of Innocence was outstanding, espeically considering they have never met! :)

BD

17. AD

AD Supporting Member

I only know the tunes from "Leftoverture" but "Song for America" is killer. good stuff

18. billdurham

billdurham Member

Alex,

thanks for the listen and comments. SFA was a tough one as the original midi drum track was not very good. I had to redo it totally, actually shortening the song to the live album version because of some timing issues with the other instruments that I just couldn't resolve.

BD