Some love and appreciation for Andy Summers...

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
For a long time Summers was one my benchmarks for wet (clean) tones.

Phnurt

Gold Supporting Member
I was in a different space in my teens but I was still a Police fan. I didn't fully appreciate Andy as a "guitar virtuoso" till the post-police stuff in my twenties. Landmark tone, incredibly tasteful chops.

Big fan here. Ghost In The Machine was among the first records I bought with my own money.

sing along if you know the words

Ajax77799

Silver Supporting Member
This gentleman is one of the more under-appreciated guitarists in rock, IMHO. And he's really not a rock guitarist - at least, he can't be reduced to merely that style.

His work with the Police is of course great, but check out his solo stuff, like this cut:
He's definitely under the radar in my opinion- not flashy but just all around GOOD and innovative in certain areas. Listen to a track called "I Remember",
an acoustic duo track with classical maestro Manuel Barrueco- Andy does a short steel string solo that is sublime- excellent note choices and tasteful as can be.

He is basically a contemporary of people like Clapton, the guys in the Rolling Stones, Page, Beck, etc. In fact, he is a couple of years older than some of those guys.

He just didn't become famous until much later. He had quite the varied career before the Police, though. He played in one line up of the Animals, toured in Neil Sedaka's backing band, etc.

I generally steer clear of reading rock star bios, but his is pretty good.

Balok

As far as I'm concerned he was the most important member of The Police. Sting would disagree of course. Stings vocals over Summers' killer chord creativity made the band work. Sting solo? no.

As far as I'm concerned he was the most important member of The Police. Sting would disagree of course. Stings vocals over Summers' killer chord creativity made the band work. Sting solo? no.

Yeah, I know a lot of folks on here love Sting's solo stuff, but it does very little for me.

I think Sting needs to always work with a drummer who is not afraid to throw a stick at his head.

NorCal_Val

Addendum;
His autobiography is a "must read".
The thing I really loved about it was that you can hear Andy's voice narrating it as you read.

monty

One of my biggest influences! AS is just unreal with what he could do with a guitar and a good song.

Trending Topics