some LOVE for Lee Garver and GMW!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Bobby D, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

i am a HUGE fan of superstrats. i love them ALL. Tyler, Suhr, Grosh.....Stevenson......so many COOL guitars.

my love for the superstrat goes back to late '81. i was stationed in San Diego with the NAVY, and i went to a guitar shop downtown (think it was a Guitar Center), and they had a few original San Dimas Charvels.

there was a maple neck hot rod flames Charvel that just was SO GOOD it made my heart stop. it was priced at $1200, if i remember correctly. priced higher than either a new Les Paul or a new Strat!

that started my love affair with superstrats, and it has never subsided.

over the 80s and 90s, i had DOZENS of Charvels, Jacksons, Tylers, Sadowsky, Zion, Anderson, and a few custom shop Fenders.

but i have ALWAYS been chasing that first HRF strathead charvel from 1981.

i even ended up with an original prepro Charvel HRF guitar that is sorta famous -- it was built for Jeff Beck, had a SOLID MAPLE BODY (was heavy as hell) and ended up being Mike Eldred's (charvel jackson shop builder) main player for years. It has a rosewood board, and a GREAT feeling neck, but the weight KILLED my back...and I am a maple neck guy...so it now resides in a very large Charvel collection.

fast forward to TODAY. :wave

I have always heard such great things about GMW, and over the years had tried a couple of them. My friend Trina (shnook here on TGP) is the very proud owner of Dweezil Zappa's "Shamer 5149 1/2" replica of the famous EVH 5150.

Trina had sent me that guitar to play with for a few weeks, and i was BLOWN AWAY by how good it was.:phones

But she WILL NOT let go of it......and I don't blame her. It's an iconic instrument, and she's a big Dweezil fan, as am I.

However -- she knew I was jonesing for a great maple neck shredder, and she had ordered THIS guitar from Lee Garver many years ago, back when Lee would still do THAT headstock.

So she sent me THIS guitar :aok

[​IMG]

nuthin fancy. just a sunburst maple neck superstrat, right?

but the guitar absolutely BLOWS ME AWAY.

Lee Garver is VERY cool to contact. he gave me plenty of info on the guitar.

THIS guitar is the closest thing I have ever felt to that original 1981 Charvel that I have been chasing since back then.

The fit and finish of this guitar is 100% perfect. The fretwork is immaculate. I can bend as high as i want ANYWHERE on the neck, with no fretting out. It just plays itself. :phones

I know there are some more GMW owners out there. Hippie Tim has a SEXY Tele with US NAVY graphics on it that i lust for. :cry:

and honestly......GMW's prices are really quite fair, you can get a GOOD one for well under $2k.

i think Lee's gonna be building me a custom "Bobby D model" next year.

TGP...show me some GMW love!

2. Just1more

Just1more Supporting Member

Lee makes great guitars, I had a few that were done by him, and a couple that were joint ventures with Neil Moser. Had an "Empire" GMW model that was a great guitar.
    Congrats on the guitar, that neck looks nicely worn in.

3. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

i REALLY like some of the new stuff Lee has been doing.

saw this one for sale on harmony central.....VERY nice!

[​IMG]

saw THIS ONE for sale on gbase.com for only $999......Lee said that the body ALONE would cost $500, it's solid quilted maple!

[​IMG]

i have a REALLY cool guitar in the works that is gonna be awesome.

now i just gotta save my pennies :aok

4. bsteff666

bsteff666 Member

Beaver, PA (That's just outside of Pittsburgh)
    Yes. GMW guitars are amazing. The build quality & attention to detail are fantastic as is the playability. Those necks are the closest thing to an early Charvel neck as you will find.

GMW HRF Charvel strathead replicas are out there...you just have to keep an eye out for them..they turn up from time to time.

I have a pair of them.
    [​IMG]

As well as this one.
    [​IMG]

And I used to own these ones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Lee is great! In 1998, I commissioned him to make me the custom Les Paul I'd always wanted. He did an amazing job, including re shooting the finish because it wasn't right. Neil Moser actually made the neck (he's the 'M' in GMW). I found out a few years ago that Ron Thorn did the Rose on the headstock.

It is still my favorite guitar in terms of playability and tone. After many pickup swaps, I finally settled on Lollar Imperials, regular wind. It has 2 volume pots - no tone - and each are push/pull for series/parallel wiring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Shnook

Shnook Member

Bobby D, I'm so glad your digging the GMW! I couldn't be happier to know it's in the right hands. Anytime I've emailed Lee he has been very quick to respond. Great guy to deal with. And a fantastic looking/playing guitar does he make. I do miss the GMW Strat, but I'm having a love affair with the 'Bobby D Strat.' I remember when I first received that Sunburst GMW. The first thing out of my mouth was...'the neck feels like those on an old Charvel.' The next thing was 'Wow! what an incredible fit/finish.' BIG thumbs up to Lee Garver!!! :aok Rock on Bobby D! :rockin

7. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

pardon me....while i clean the DROOL off my keyboard :rotflmao

WOW!

8. Glenn Brown

Glenn Brown Member

Mine...built in tribute to the late, great original Funkadelic guitarist Eddie Hazel; mahogany body, carved maple top, birdseye maple neck, ebony fingerboard, 24 jumbo frets, Duncan Jazz + Custom pups, series/parallel pup switching:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. slowhand66

slowhand66 Member

BSTEFF666--I love those HRF's bigtime, and the Redrum!
    A few more GMWs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yup, and I now own the Gold sparkle :)
    [​IMG]

10. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

slowhand......that white one is :love::love::love:

all of them are :love:

maggot brain is AMAZING.

Lee doesn't get enough love.......he builds GREAT guitars, and his price point is well below most other builders.

i am getting one next year. it's gonna be EPIC. it's a SECRET until then.....but trust me, it will turn some heads here :D

11. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

That gold sparkle is beautifully ugly!

I can't look away.

12. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

lol.......i LOVE those "bassboat sparkle" finishes. used to have a jackson like that.

Lee Garver is THE MAN. :agree

13. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

another NEW one Lee just finished.....

not for everyone.

but i would ROCK THIS hard!

[​IMG]

14. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

BADASS! I'd rock that in a heartbeat

15. neilli

neilli Member

I'm jumping in late on this thread (for some reason, the TGP search won't find GMW), but I'm a big fan of Lee's guitars too. I have 7 of them, so I guess that must say something :) Here's a pic of 5 of mine, prior to the most recent arrivals. The 'Adrian Smith' guitar (white/black guard) was my first GMW and it's my favourite guitar ever. Like Bobby D's awesome looking sunburst at the top, it's not flashy as some, but I just love this thing!

[​IMG]

The most recent toys are firstly a strathead which has an awesome birdseye neck, and secondly a millenium head with solid flamed koa body and pau ferro neck. And it's awesome - the first guitar in ages that's blown me away straight out of the box...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

For amazingly built hard rock/metal guitars Lee is right up there. Cool thread Bobby D.

17. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Supporting Member

GMW makes some great stuff. These were all in my collection at one time or another...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Supporting Member

19. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

damn Fiesta Red.......that's a whole load of AWESOME!:bow:bow:bow

20. FiestaRed