• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Some music stores are really missing a good business booster...get folks in groups!

StompBoxBlues

I noticed that at least after a while when not in a band I tend to settle down and not be buying nearly as much equipment. I read about an amp or something, and just think "well...not in a group now, it's kinda hard to justify".

So I was thinking, since everyone says about the economy, affecting music sales, etc.

Why wouldn't music stores just do more to promote getting folks in bands?
Or bands? If I owned a music store, would definitely consider sponsoring a "battle of the bands", lending my web site (as well as bulletin board) to folks trying to meet other folks to start a band, etc.

Seems like a great idea to me. When folks get into bands, in my experience they tend to buy quite a bit, besides just the little things like strings, picks, etc. but also often think "maybe I need another guitar" or amp, etc.

kurtsstuff

Not to sound bitter but.....Doesn't matter whether 1 guy or 5 guys buy from you at your music store..Nowadays with map pricing..internet whores and the ones that started the whole thing and are now in jeopardy themselves G.C......when the public dictates that a store only be allowed a 20-25% profit from products sold and sometimes less. Thats just the front end. That same weak profit structure gets whittled away very quick with Shipping cost's,Rent,Wages etc,etc...Thats why good stores are going belly up everyday but..I guess it would look good on paper huh??
and yes....I used to manage music stores...sigh...

Think Floyd

Gold Supporting Member
A local chain (3 locations) store here has a "Musician's Ads" section on their website.

StompBoxBlues

Not to sound bitter but.....Doesn't matter whether 1 guy or 5 guys buy from you at your music store..Nowadays with map pricing..internet whores and the ones that started the whole thing and are now in jeopardy themselves G.C......when the public dictates that a store only be allowed a 20-25% profit from products sold and sometimes less. Thats just the front end. That same weak profit structure gets whittled away very quick with Shipping cost's,Rent,Wages etc,etc...Thats why good stores are going belly up everyday but..I guess it would look good on paper huh??
and yes....I used to manage music stores...sigh...
From years of hanging around music stores, just as customer, I got the impression that newbies, and especially kids who come in with their parents for that first guitar and amp (and some kids parents want them to have "the BEST" right out of the gate) make up a core for a lot of music stores. I get the impression even today, they don't order from the net, because they want to "talk with a salesman" and because the world of guitar/instruments/amps/accessories is so out of their sphere and all.

While I was thinking more of us more "seasoned" players, a help to keep live music alive (they aren't going to sell much in any case if no bands are getting "air time" and all) but think also, if little "Billy" gets his first guitar and after a time can start playing enough to get in a band...I still think there is a missed oppurtunity here.

Or how about this, local music stores used to give lessons at the same place ( a smart move) but what if they had band practice rooms to rent? For one, they get extra income for that, for another they'd get folks coming in from the practice buying strings, cables, etc....

There's a lot of ways to go with the basic idea...and there are a number of folks that given the item in front of them (take it with you right NOW!) would pay the extra price rather than have to wait days or longer, plus a lot of folks still like to play the actual amp/guitar they are thinking of buying (in my day it was a given...not all guitars of the same model are the same, you always want to play THE guitar you may be buying).

somedude

One of the local stores has a small studio built in so that local acts can lay tracks in a decent sound room and take them home for editing. That pair of rooms does alot more business than I thought it would, and it doubles as teaching rooms when they're not busy.

They also sponsor a battle of the bands in their store parking lot. It's not really a battle of the bands so much as a an opportunity for smaller local acts to get on a bigger stage than they're used to (if they've even been on a stage before).

StompBoxBlues

One of the local stores has a small studio built in so that local acts can lay tracks in a decent sound room and take them home for editing. That pair of rooms does alot more business than I thought it would, and it doubles as teaching rooms when they're not busy.

They also sponsor a battle of the bands in their store parking lot. It's not really a battle of the bands so much as a an opportunity for smaller local acts to get on a bigger stage than they're used to (if they've even been on a stage before).
That's pretty cool! That's what I was thinking of too...sounds like they had the idea way before. I was looking for "win-win" situations, that benefit the musicians (new and old) as well as the music stores themselves.

My first thought too. When it comes to recording you can end up getting burned by some shady or inexperienced people. If you can provide a simple recording environment with some decent tools, and have it run by someone who knows what they're doing, I can see a lot of repeat business happening. My local store sells mostly boutique stuff, but they also have a full indoor stage with lighting, a pro mixer, and multitrack recording, enough room to hold 350 people, 2 recording booths, and a bar :) Their problem is that they are too far away from L.A. (closest major city) so they don't get as much business as they potentially should.

StompBoxBlues

Part of my thought here (my "big picture") actually was this win-win symbniotic relationship we OUGHT to have with music stores, and that some of your guys examples bear out, are most often missing in most cases.

The bigger picture, and I even read this kind of thinking in Woddy Guthries times in the "other" depression, when radio started taking over, and he lamented that people "forget that music comes from other people" and begin to think "real" music is what comes out of the radio, not those two sisters, singing beautiful harmony, up on a hill with a guitar to the refugee camp.

Today it is worse. We think music only comes from the labels, and worse yet, that the only "real" music sounds all compressed, with auto-tune effects, and dancing, and pyrotechnics, etc.

So who would be the musicians natural ally in taking back SOME of music? Music stores that could think ahead! They are naturals for getting people to get excited to learn instruments, create their own music. Many do, but with the expectation of getting "signed" which is about as realistic as any inner city, or suburban youth on the basketball court getting signed to be in the NBA.

But it doesn't have to be that way. What if the music "scene" got to be like it was in the 60's again? People that went out hoping to hear something "new" and good...lots of places with music, lots of chances for bands to be heard, or "roll your own", rent a barn, put on a show...etc.

Just thinking the natural ally for all this thinking would be any music store wanting to make a lot of money...because it would.

Part of my thought here (my "big picture") actually was this win-win symbniotic relationship we OUGHT to have with music stores, and that some of your guys examples bear out, are most often missing in most cases.

The bigger picture, and I even read this kind of thinking in Woddy Guthries times in the "other" depression, when radio started taking over, and he lamented that people "forget that music comes from other people" and begin to think "real" music is what comes out of the radio, not those two sisters, singing beautiful harmony, up on a hill with a guitar to the refugee camp.

Today it is worse. We think music only comes from the labels, and worse yet, that the only "real" music sounds all compressed, with auto-tune effects, and dancing, and pyrotechnics, etc.

So who would be the musicians natural ally in taking back SOME of music? Music stores that could think ahead! They are naturals for getting people to get excited to learn instruments, create their own music. Many do, but with the expectation of getting "signed" which is about as realistic as any inner city, or suburban youth on the basketball court getting signed to be in the NBA.

But it doesn't have to be that way. What if the music "scene" got to be like it was in the 60's again? People that went out hoping to hear something "new" and good...lots of places with music, lots of chances for bands to be heard, or "roll your own", rent a barn, put on a show...etc.

Just thinking the natural ally for all this thinking would be any music store wanting to make a lot of money...because it would.
You are giving musicians way too much credit as "progressive thinkers". Fact is, most musicians are deadbeat flakes. The ones that are motivated and driven are too few in numbers to make a substantial difference. Come to think of it, you are also putting too much faith in the majority of the music consumer community. Most people won't seek out music, they want it to come to them and we all know how that's handled presently. Wishful thinking (but I agree with what you're saying).

Trending Topics