Some OD style amp questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by toneman335, Feb 12, 2008.

1. toneman335

toneman335 Member

Whats your opinion and why:

. what is the best overal sounding and flexible OD style amp?
    . what is the best "value" OD amp....bang for the buck?
    . If not already mentioned your thoughts, good and bad, on the Brownnote D'Lite and the Ceriatone Overtone amps.
    . Best overall speaker to use with an OD amp?

2. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

The first question is really two questions. Answers Carol Ann and Glaswerks for both parts.
    2nd question: Glaswerks

3rd question: I have no opinion of said amps.

4th question: I prefer celestion 12-65s

3. toneman335

toneman335 Member

Thanks for your insight. It will interesting to read other's thoughts. Where can I listen to some great examples of the Glaswerks. I listened to the ones on the Glaswerks site and honestly I wasn't impressed.

4. voodoosound

Do a search for member lv or glaswerks on this site. Lou posted a bunch of clips that really show a good snippit of the glaswerks.

5. bynt

bynt Member

Well I'll say the answer to both 1 and 2 are Zinky's. Really nice OD. Just kills.

I don't know what I would say as far as speakers go because every amp is so different. Then there's the cab or combo question and so forth. I'm a big fan of V-30's for a lot of applications (The Tinny Terror LOVES those) but my Zinky has an Eminence in it.

As far as the Brown note, my buddy was at NAMM and liked them so much he's going to try to sell them at the store here in Flag (he's a bass player, too).

6. Baggins

Baggins Member

7. scottl

scottl Member

The Glaswerks clips are totally not representative of what the amps does. I am one of the only guys here to have played most of the amps in this vein and the Glaswerks is astoundingly good. I'll have some new clips soon that hopefully better capture what is going on.

You should never base your decisions on clips. Assumptions are dangerous....

Having said all that, the Brownnotes are fantastic as is the Bludotone. The new Classic 3 Two Rocks sound really promising as well, although I have not personally played one.

Best bet is to play these things. That is the only way to tell.

8. voodoosound

Best advice Scott. Although, Scott is not the only one to play all the amps in this vein. Quite the contrary. I own most of the amps that have been talked about. And have owned almost every Dumble style amp out there with exception to the fuchs. My Bludotone is being delivered early next month. And I may break down and give the new Two Rock a run through.

9. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I will have a type 3 next week and report.