• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Some of Pete Townshend's power chords are the best in the business but...

Tonelover

Boy are his solos terrible. Don't get me wrong, his contributions to the band were immeasurable and obviously they have their place in history. However, anytime I watch his solo breaks I find myself being reminded of nails on a chalkboard. It's really like he doesn't know how to play guitar. Sorry for the rant, just watched The Kids Are Alright and couldn't hold my tongue any longer. Keith Moon is always entertaining though.

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
I think his guitar solos are perfect for the songs the Who plays. Flash not required. The songs just sound good. And the live stuff just kills.

I listened to this concert last week (I was at the same show in MSG). My reaction was the Townsend was a master at this point of his career.

drewl

Everyone has their clunkers, as has been pointed out here on several occasions.

He even said he should have practiced more when he was younger in his bio book.

However there are plenty of examples of him just killing it on lead.

Funny, especially in later years.

SnidelyWhiplash

Silver Supporting Member
Everyone has their clunkers, as has been pointed out here on several occasions.

He even said he should have practiced more when he was younger in his bio book.

However there are plenty of examples of him just killing it on lead.

Funny, especially in later years.
Practiced more, hell...

He was far too busy rewriting the role of rhythm guitarist & becoming one of the greatest songwriters in rnr.

Would a Floyd & tapping skills make PT a better guitarist??? Not in my book... :cool:

Last edited:

Laurence

Silver Supporting Member
I seem to recall Pete was once quoted as saying 'we don't let the music get in the way of a good performance'. If that's true, I believe him. He has an erractic solo style compared to his rhythm work. Whatever, he's great.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Boy are his solos terrible. Don't get me wrong, his contributions to the band were immeasurable and obviously they have their place in history. However, anytime I watch his solo breaks I find myself being reminded of nails on a chalkboard. It's really like he doesn't know how to play guitar. Sorry for the rant, just watched The Kids Are Alright and couldn't hold my tongue any longer. Keith Moon is always entertaining though.
Well, then you shouldn't listen if it bothers you that much, and don't come here with what sounds like a troll post. And by the way, you're wrong. I could be more blunt, but let's leave it at that. Listen to Live At Leeds, or watch their Isle of Wight DVD. What Pete played was entirely fitting for the songs. He's a supremely talented guitarist. Not a flashy lead player, but he's never had to be. He did what worked for the material. If your idea of a great lead guitar player is Satriani, Vai, or Malmsteen, then maybe you need to adjust your listening habits.

Last edited:

Funkee

I’ve read interviews over the years where he points out that between Entewhistle and Moon there was just no space left in the music for intricate guitar solos.
... as dude above pointed out, Moon and the OX were enough solos in that band...

This always reminds me of one of my favorite quotes regarding The Who:

"Well they're all playing lead aren't they, all of them. John Entwistle's playing lead bass, Keith's playing lead drums, Townshend's playing lead guitar, and Roger's the lead vocalist. It's ****in' insane."

- Noel Gallagher

slider

Live at Leeds has several short solos that are quite good.
The Who were a different kind of band, guitar solos didn't figure in as much.
Saw the original group. His performance was jaw-droppingly great.
More stage presence than most, by far. Almost like he could've been a modern dancer if he'd wanted to.

Trending Topics