Some Orange Amp Help Please!?!

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
i am interested in the ad30 but have not been able to try one locally. if anyone could provide some feedback on my questions below it would be appreciated!!

1) i have been able to try the TT, Rocker 30 combo, rockerverb50, and dual channel terror. In terms of these amps, would the AD30 be as 'dark' or would it be a bit brighter? I liked the TT except that i found it a bit dark or middy (almost a bit muffled or nasaly to my ears). would the AD30 be similar or different? was this the particular heads i was trying, the v30s, closed back cab, or is that THE orange sound?

2) I have only ever used combos before but would like to go the head/cab route on this one. i am thinking about a 2x12. what would be the difference in sound between a closed vs. open back cab? will the closed back have much more bottom end emphasis?

thanks!

Anna_Laurel

Hmm, I didn't consider the TT dark at all. Very "Keith Richards" sounding if you get my drift. The R30 and RV50, I can see how they could sound quite dark with certain guitars and cabs. The AD30 is definitely a brighter or less cloudy sounding amp than the rockers and rockerverbs.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
actually, i think the TT was more of an almost muffled effect to me, as opposed to the rockerverb which i definitely thought was darker (or, perhaps, smoother to some). the TT just didnt sound very 'open' to me...if that makes sense

ellpolo

I now own a rocker 30, and tracked a record last summer for 2 weeks a rockerverb 50. Later, at GC, i played an ad30 single channel.

The ad30 differs from these in that it is the closest of the new series amps to the original orange sound. That is, lest gain, a little brighter, and more classic/british sounding. I mean there is still plenty of gain to be had but its not as much as the new guys.

I'd say that its a brighter amp, and has an all around different tone in the mids than the rocker series amplifiers. People in indie bands/classic rock perfer these amps to the rocker series from what i've seen.

fiftynine

I've owned the AD30 head with Orange 2x12 and the AD30R combo. They sit near Vox and Marshall (pretty obvious) but with stronger lower mids and can get quite compressed.

I wish I still had the combo......great indie tones and a classic British rocker as mentioned above. Reverb was fine, brilliant control over pre and power amps, full tone stack and nothing else confusing things. Nice and simple. Great amp. Heavy. I'll have another one day.

I too thought they could sound nasal and wasn't sure if it was just the v30's. I have a hunch they make a contribution. I tried G12M's (sucked tone) so went back to V30's.

Wish I'd tried a couple of blues in it.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
thanks guys - so it sounds like maybe the ad30 may be at least worth a try. i was really close to liking the TT and the r30 because they had very usable master volumes which i need for home...the TT was just a little too compressed or something...if teh ad30 could address that, it could be what i need.

any chance anyone has tried a 2061 and an AD30?? I know there is no MV on the 2061 but i am wondering if it could deliver classic marshall tones with a pedal fronting it?

Yankee Univox

I'm a big fan of the R30 head.Compared to the ad30 I tried it against,the Rocker was much more 'ballsy' and 'present'.Then again,I'm a classic rock,and grunger...so my ears are listening for different things than yours perhaps! :cool:

Trending Topics