some outside jazz/rock wanking

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by jzucker, Jun 2, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

2. ToneZappa

ToneZappa Member

Amazing playing Jack the precision and ideas !!!!!!!!

3. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Sounds great......really.

Honestly?.......and please don't take this the wrong way, it's just my opinion......

I'd MUCH rather hear you further develop this more outside fusiony style, and your straight up jazz playing......it's devastating when you're really on it.....like on this vid.

I can appreciate the the jimi/srv thing.........but it doesn't feel as natural on you.......I would even venture to say it's not where your gift lies. Not to mention that there are so many other folks who do it well.

Also........more actual music and less gear "demos".........I think you're selling yourself short by not putting a real, cohesive musical statement out there.........

Plus......you're just fueling GAS for the weak folk.....soon, they're gonna pass laws about that **** :p

4. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Yo Jack ...
    Didn't care for this pedal in a comping context (have my Emma for that ..)
    But man I love the way you use it here as a soloing tool ..

You're just killing it here Jack ...
    I'm telling you... you've got to put out a CD of you blowing like this ...
    You're playing here is just so cool ...

5. jzucker

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the comments. To jim's point, yes I know my jimi stuff is weak but i I was born on jimi's birthday and I feel it calling me. It'll come someday and to tell you the truth, I'm really burned out (bored) with the whole jazz thing.

Don't know about the CD thing. I have too many friends with boxes of them in their attic. :D

6. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

I gotta agree with Jim. I think a Zucker CD of original stuff would far outweigh the demos.

I like the demos but I think Jack is a really gifted player and should give us a record of his own. Talent like that going to waste on demos only? Sad really.

That said, I dont like the sound of this pedal at all.

7. scottl

scottl Member

Loved it Jack!!

8. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

:agree

Wow! You can tear the a$$ out of a groove! We want more!

9. hottub

hottub Member

way to rip it up Jack! boy I love the sound of filters on a solo like that, but just could never get them to work for me in my rig. way to go man!

10. KRosser

KRosser Member

Nice playing Jack, as usual - I agree with Jim's point that even on these 'demos' hearing you dig into some actual music of your own creation instead of soloing over canned vamps would be REALLY COOL...I say this out of encouragement, not criticism

I hear you in a big way. I think you have to follow that even if the payoff isn't yet apparent.

I came to the same realization, that the music of The Beatles and the classical guitar, two things I was involved in WAY before I got into jazz, have more personal resonance to me than "Kind Of Blue" or "Giant Steps"

And that's basically what's kept me from it too. I understand the laws of supply and demand enough to know the supply would greatly exceed the demand.

Keep up the good work...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  11. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Just do it, Jack! That was fantastic. There is an audience for everything good, and I'm confident you can get your arms around the distribution thingy.

12. jzucker

Thanks for the encouragement. What I'd really like to do is get the whole jimi/blues thing into my soul and then fuse it all together into something that moves me and has something to say that is unique. Right now, I just don't feel I have a voice that's developed enough to justify making a CD. Gift or not, I actually feel like I'm playing more from the heart when I am doing the more rocked out stuff.

The search is eternal but I do know that my calling isn't playing jazz standards with a hollowbody. ;)

13. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Well....that's what's important...what moves YOU.

...and, BTW...I wasn't saying your Jimi thing is weak...at ALL......just that I hear more uniqueness in your jazz and fusion playing......more YOU.....but that could be more a reflection on where I am, since I'm a jazz wanker, but a decent rock/folk/blues/country player.

As for "releasing a cd".......I agree that printing a 1000, selling 200 to friends and familym then having the rest sit around is silly in this day and age. But there are LOTS of alternate mediums for getting your music out there.

Hell......you're pretty locked into the Youtube thing........why not release the 1st Youtube-only "album"???

Good luck.

14. jzucker

Thanks Jim. I don't have a band at this point. The local music scene here is very weak and most of the guys I want to play with are not into rehearsing anymore so it's been somewhat frustrating. I am working on some stuff with local guitarist Frankie Starr and we may do something together more formally in terms of video or audio.

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Wow - Jimi died on my birthday!:eek: