Some pedals i've built lately....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by B_of_H, Jul 29, 2008.

1. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I've been on a geekout rampage....
    (well that and I partied my ass off at a gig wed and went and saw moe/ grace potter/ cosmopolitics on thursday so I needed some 'downtime')
    I built this one to fit snuggly in the corner of my board. It's Paul C's fat bastard and a A/B loop switch with LED's in a 1590 blem box from Pedal parts plus. It's switches silently on both sides. The insides are very messy so i'll spare everyone the horror. The idea here is that I can use one stomp to select either clean or dirty loops and the boost pedal.(you can barely see my new byoc opto comp in the pedal board photo next to the PP2)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    side
    [​IMG]

Orange Squeezer - perfboard, mark m's layout...'squeezed' into a 1290 from PPP (same blem run I think)
    [​IMG]

BYOC Tremelo - (a little blurry because the blinking green LED) in a PPP 125
    [​IMG]

I actually built this patch box a while back but thought I'd share as well. It's a 1290 from PPP as well. I made a little snake with four cables and it connects here. It has made using the effects loop much easier in setup and take down for gigs.
    [​IMG]

2. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

Nice work! I like the idea of the a/b box with the boost.

I'm right there with you. Completely addicted.
    I've been building alot lately myself. Every bit of spare time I get, I'm building. Just finished a BYOC screamer that I modded like crazy. I'm so glad it worked when I fired it up cause there is alot of extra wiring and debugging it would have sucked.

3. Deaj

Deaj Member

Cool ideas and great work!

I got the DIY bug late last year and before too long I'd replaced everything on my board with my own builds (well, everything except for the tuner and an amazing sounding MXR Phase45).

[​IMG]

4. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

NIce pedals :). I sent you a PM about the Fat bastard/AB switch.

5. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

B_of_H Do you have a wiring diagram for the clean dirty switcher? I don't need the boost part. thanks.

6. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

Hey Deaj,

Thanks alot for posting the LDO mods over on the byoc forum! I did the mods (plus a few others) to my Screamer and it turned out great! I finished it too late to really crank it, but will have at it tomorrow.

7. Deaj

Deaj Member

You're welcome! I'm glad it was helpfull. :)

8. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

I see several of the same pedal. Why?

Are they actually different circuits that are broadly similar? Or maybe you want multiple settings of the same tone without having to adjust knobs so you switch to a different pedal entirely?

I don't get that.

9. eleanor296

eleanor296 Member

I'm pretty sure they're all different. There are a gazillion drive pedals out there that have 3 knobs... volume, drive, tone. Just as example.
    Just because they share the same layout doesn't mean they have the same circuit inside.

~Andy

10. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

well, I just did basic 3dpt wiring and luckily so far it's been silent. Here is how it went.

lug 1 - send A
    lug 2 - from input jack
    lug 3 - send B
    lug 4 - LED A
    lug 5 - ground
    lug 6 - LED B
    lug 7 - return A
    lug 8 - to output jack
    lug 9 - return B

Deaj - that pedal board is sick! I really like the look of un painted pedals like that.

11. Deaj

Deaj Member

Thanks B_of_H! :) I hadn't concerned myself with how it would look when complete but I do like how it looks.

How would you describe the 'Fat Bastard' boost? I love the LED indicator as an 'O' in the word boost - looks cool!

12. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Very cool board - when you make it big I doubt anyone will copy you!!

I like how the 2nd row is 125b's for added height. Very smart.

13. Deaj

Deaj Member

All but two drive pedals are derived from different circuits. The Overdrive-1 and Overdrive-3 circuits are both TS808 based though they are quite different.

Compressor: is a Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer clone.
    Tuner Mute / Buffer: utilizes Jack Orman's mini buffer circuit.
    Boost: COT50 based with a DA Rangemaster voiced treble boost tone control. The buffer is defeatable via a small toggle at the top edge.
    Overdrive-1: a slightly modified 'Burst Eternity circuit with 2-way clipping switch (four symmetric 1N4148 diodes / 3mm red LED's).
    Overdrive-2: a modified Marshall BluesBreaker circuit with some mods taken from the KOT4, 5mm red LED's for clippers, and a presence control similar to the trim pot presence in the Crinch Box.
    Overdrive-3: a GGG ITS8 kit turned L'DO clone turned CJOD clone with a 2-way clipping switch (5mm red LED's / BS170 MOSFETS) and a fat boost switch.
    Distortion-1: A BYOC Mightly Mouse kit modded to closely emulate a MO'D.
    Distortion-2: a modified and rehoused MI Audio Crunch Box with the Presence control externally mounted.
    Tremolo: a modified version of the EA Tremolo circuit posted at Runoffgroove.com.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  14. Deaj

Deaj Member

Thanks! :) The slight difference in height between the shorter 1290's and the taller 125's plus the use of small, low profile knobs provide plenty of clearance for the front tier controls when stepping for the back tier. It worked out better than I thought it would.

15. Deaj

Deaj Member

How do you like the Tremolo? (Love the pulsing LED - did that with mine as well).

16. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

Deaj the fat bastered is a great pedal built one of them over a year ago (meaning to build another for the year too!!), its not a pedal with massive gain as in it wont overdrive but its great for be able to boost things and change your clean sound. much like a RC booster (im not comparing sounds just uses). I have used it for a range of different things from boosting for a solo sound to fatening to getting a good wes tone with the treb rolled off. Its a great pedal to have.

AJ

17. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Looks nice.

Here's a Diaz tremolo copy I made recently.
    [​IMG]

18. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

The fat bastard is a nice cleanish boost. This particular one isn't quite dialed in yet. For some reason i'm not getting quite as much clean volume as I have on other ones I've built but it still sounds great. If anyone knows what could be causing this let me know. I'll probably try swapping out new transistors next.

love it. Sounds great and didn't cost much at all (I sourced the parts myself and just bought the pcb from byoc, although I buy plenty of kits from them as well)

I agree.

Have you tried any mods or substitutions? I'd like mine to get a bit more treble and volume.

I built one that I ended up giving to a local guitarists (it sounded better than this one so far) whose been gigging and recording with it for years. He still hasn't paid me but he does get me free tickets to shows regularly so i'm all good with it. (he got me free tickets to moe/ grace potter on thursday)

19. Deaj

Deaj Member

Here's a generic looper wiring diagram I put together a while back. It may be built to accomodate as few or as many loops as are required. Hope this helps. :)

[​IMG]

20. Deaj

Deaj Member

Very cool! Would you mind describing how the speed switch works?