Some Quality Time With Family...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Campfired, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Campfired

Campfired Member

My life had been somewhat hectic recently, what with doctor's appointments, my job, my studies, other responsibilities...

Now am welcoming some quality time with my immediate family...my nephew will be arriving in about 2 hours for some food, music, entertainment, and good association.

If perhaps you'd like, I'll share the dinner menu with you...just spent the last 2 hours prepping the meal before the food will be cooked...this gathering is in honor of my nephew (b-day recently) and my Mom (Mother's Day next month).

Looking forward to less family drama than usual this time...my nephew has mellowed quite well for his young age, and expects less from our gatherings than we usually provide...he's almost always pleasantly surprised and appreciative of our hospitality.

Good for him to be with us again. Nice clean-cut kid with good standards. His folks brought him up well, and I usually thank my younger brother (his Dad) for doing such a good job with the young man.

2. Probos

Probos Supporting Member

3. Campfired

Campfired Member

Heh,

Just for you, the menu...I'll even set out a virtual plate for TGP in their honor...

Drinks:
    Yuengling Lager / Chilled Glasses
    Zestos Garnacha Red Wine
    Diet Peach Iced Tea
    Iced Water

Appetizer:
    Old Bay/Tellicherry Peppercorn Seasoned Shrimp
    Homemade Shrimp Cocktail Sauce

Main Course:
    Garlic-Infused Prime Rib Roast
    Buttered Brown Sugar Mashed Sweet Potatoes
    Early Season Corn-On-The-Cob

Dessert:
    Small Round Spongecakes
    Sliced Fresh Strawberries & Blueberries
    Decaf Coffee & Tea

[​IMG]

4. Analog Delay

Analog Delay I Judge Books By Covers Silver Supporting Member

What happens if your nephew brings his dog without asking?

Can your nephew play in your guitar room? How about the dog?

derekd and Probos like this.
  5. Campfired

Campfired Member

Heh, heh...nephew lives in a 2 room apartment in the city on a limited budget and is a student who will graduate end of first semester next school year. His family doesn't do "dog", but have been a cat family since '00.

He's 24 years old, relatively well-mannered, respects his elders, but still questions my right for counseling my Mom when she might need it. My nephew is entirely welcome when visiting my guitar room, because unlike toddlers, he won't get into trouble when left to his own devices. Kid knows his boundaries and respects mine.

Regards questioning my right to counsel my Mom, the instance this evening involved his assertion that my Mom's iPhone would be "better" with her fingerprint identification access. My request was that Mom needs to remember things like digital password access instead of conveniently using a fingerprint.

When Mom's memory begins fluctuating, we'll consider fingerprint ID then. My reasoning was, your brain function is like a muscle that requires exercise. Use it or lose it. My nephew had a difficult time accepting that, but I think he'll honor my wishes at this time. If I had to consider my nephew, I'd pat him on the back and say, "Thanks, but we paid good money for these phones. Mom and I love you, yet Mom needs to use her short term memory more often so her mind stays sharp. Do you understand why convenience isn't always a good thing?"

I'll need to email him this evening so he doesn't feel I was bit hard on him. Smooth over the rough waters, as it were. That way, we can both keep feeling the [​IMG]

6. DK207

DK207 Member

Sounds like a great time! Enjoy!

Menu looks awesome.

7. Campfired

Campfired Member

Nephew is a good young man. Is quick when offering helpful suggestions about stuff he either studied or learned from others. His ears aren't as finely tuned as his elders, though. Most older folks experience hearing loss with the passage of time. Instead, most of our family has musician's ears that can detect the buzz of a gnat from across the room. (We've never experienced sleeping sickness from tse-tse flies, though)