some questions about the MINSTREL V2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, May 4, 2016.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

can I run the pedal off my V Lab PP2 plus? (Power requirements: 9VDC @ 500mA, center negative 2.1mm power jack)

in position 3 gain mode, can it hang with the super crunchbox?

is it noisy compared to regulars ODs?

thanks guys :)

oh yeah....are the pedals a step up in sound compared to the other "real tube" ODs?

oh yeah again...is it TB?

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  2. pinkfuzz65

pinkfuzz65 Member

As long as you have 500mA you're good. I run it with my Cioks Big John with a current combiner cable no probs.
    The 3rd gain mode is very crunchy and its really good! I've never plaid a crunch box but i would compare it to my Purple Plexi or OCD with a bit tad bit less Marshall flavor but in a good way.
    No its not noisy at all! I find that after the tube warms up it gets creamier and more dynamic. A really good OD. I prefer the lowest gain clipping, with my strat i get RHCP tones all day long.

No clue if its a step up but it definitely is a killer pedal. No idea if its TB but probably is.

3. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

I have a V1 Minstrel, so it's a little different than the V2. That being said, Kingsley's pedals are pretty much as good as it gets as far as tube pedals go.

What makes them better than, say, an old Tube Driver, is that the tubes run on full voltage, exactly as they would in a great amp. For all intents and purposes, they are full-flegded tube preamps. And they are wonderful.

sanfi4u likes this.
  4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Had the first version of this, no way it can do Super CrunchBox stuff. I have a SCB now and love that thing for wailing leads.

5. zul

zul Supporting Member

Minstrel V1 @12 volts. Mode three turns my Rev Hellhound into a beast.
    Gain is not even halfway up; I like it tight and percussive for rhythm.
    Hit with a Tumnus after, it will sing for days with controllable feedback.
    A singing lead sound however is much too saturated for the syncopated
    ensemble play that is essential with my current band. So, I use these in tandem.

I am not familiar with V2 yet, though I know it has a FET stage before the tube.
    Quiet unit considering I am in highest gain mode, but let's be realistic here, it's a rock gig.
    Fortunately venues with dirty power that makes the band buzz are usually the places where they embrace electricity.
    Anyone expecting absolutely no buzz or hum at these gigs, should turn off their monitors and maybe go out more.
    Both are coupled to a soft touch looper, because I bring them in an out constantly; and since the accountants are already annoyed.

Late at night in my basement, I sometimes take the tube guard off just to bask in tube glow. Fully clothed though.

6. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

thanks guys...anyone else re running in my PP2 +?

7. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

just noticed that input 5 and 6 are 250 mA......bummer........

8. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

You should be able to run it using both 5 & 6 with a parallel adapter. That'll give you 500mA at 9V. Should be no problem at all.

9. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

anyone got some gut shots of the new V2....?

would be really interesting to see one with the valve/tube an' all.....

10. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

11. Franco87

Franco87 Member

I use it on outputs 5 and 6, recommended by Simon.
    My "always on pedal" is the OCD, with gain very low.. 9 o'clock. Then, when I want a heavier and fatter tone, I just turn on the Minstrel v2 into the OCD.
    Philip Sayce solo:
    improvised solo:
    I like to stack pedals, so I can get into some fuzz face territory... but live I can get it easily. At these videos I'm using a Hot Rod with low volume.