Some questions on the KOT pedal

jdel77

Ok, here's the sitch.
I received a Tim from Paul C. earlier in the year. Beautiful pedal as we all know. And I have a Timmy (early perfboard version) that I am using mainly as a gritty boost after my dirt chain.
I have been offered a KOT as part of a trade for the Tim, and have never tried the Bluesbreaker circuit. I guess I'm after something a little smoother and more rounded than the Tim/Timmy sound, with a touch more compression. I love the Tim/Timmy circuit, and it's an absolute must for me, and the Timmy is probably all I need.
How necessary is the high gain mod on the KOT? How do you guys use your KOT? Do you find it's more of a rhythm pedal, or aimed at a lead sound. I'm going more for a rhythm guitar sound, lower gain. My Fetto Nord is my #1 for me for the mid to higher gain thing, but always on the lookout for additional ideas.
Cheers.

Last edited:

pdavidso

Gold Supporting Member
I'd say it depends on the type of amp you're using. I think the kot sounds better in my fender amps than my marshall class5. The kot can do lower gain rhythm really well. Its smooth but my wife says it doesnt have enough drive on my more rockin songs. I don't have a tim/Timmy so I can't really compare.

Eliguitar

Silver Supporting Member
I have the high gain version and I really like it. The yellow channel is perfect for rhythm and the red channel has enough gain for solos especially if you're using humbuckers.
The KOT has 4 switches inside that lets you choose between boost, OD and Dist on each side.
The clean boost option is amazing for lower gain rhythm playing. If you want a little more compression use the OD option.
I had a Tim for a while and while its a great pedal, Im just not a big fun of completely transparent ODs, The Kot is transparent but it adds its own sound with a little bit mids that i really dig.
I'd say go for it.

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
I've never tried a timmy, but my kot doesn't have alot of compression. It's not a 'liquid lead' kind of sound. It works best driving a dynamic tube amp, and has a tasteful ammount of mids-boost, but not nearly as much my 808, and also the 808 has more overdrive available.
I like it as a clean boost, and semi-clean boost; it has great dynamics and an interesting voice, but it's not a distortion machine.

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
I agree with other posts. The KOT is not a rhythm machine. Its one bad ass od though. I get thick chewy leads and when I adjust the tone knobs, my Strat sounds like a Les Paul or humbuckers. I'm not sure what my internal switches are set at though. I like it where its at so I don't mess with it. I've owned both the Tim and Timmy. Just didn't fit the bill for me BUT I mainly use Fender amps. I can't say enough good things about the KOT but I'm not sure if its a rhythm pedal. For leads there is no better OD in my opinion.

Maybe you should just own both? Can't go wrong with that!

JRC4558Dude

I like it as a clean boost, and semi-clean boost; it has great dynamics and an interesting voice, but it's not a distortion machine.
Agreed.

I much prefer mine with humbuckers/P90s. Doesn't have enough "ooomph" when I use it with my Strats.

Mine is the regular-gain version, but I find the KOT sounds best with the gain not maxed out. I like to use the yellow side (set to clean boost) for a "cleanish" boost that will break-up if I pick hard, and use the red side (set to OD) as a low-gain crunchy tone.

vanguard

IMO, the KOT is one of the better rhythm pedals. it doesn't do the juicy, compressed, smooth TS808 thing on the high notes, but it's raw, transparent, just barely compressed voice gives rhythm stuff nice crunch with a resonant, but never boxy sound.

the KOT really is a perfected tube screamer (sonically). imagine a TS with less compression, less mids, more bass and more clarity and you have the KOT. and what i love most about it, it's transparent, but not TOO transparent; the OD has a very distinct voice that marries well to every amp i own.

Bobby D

i REALLY liked the KOT with the high gain red side.

the KOT is a fantastic sounding pedal, and really shines at stage volume into an amp that's already "cooking" a little bit.

i was prepared to be underwhelmed by the KOT -- but i was pleasantly surprised by it when i demoed it :YinYang

my buddy Wes in Porcupine Tree has had pedal builders BEGGING to send him overdrive pedals for the last few years -- but ever since he got his KOT, he has not even TRIED anything new - he is SO HAPPY with that pedal, he doesn't even consider trying anything else. i have known that guy for......damn near 25 years now.......and he's always had good tone, going all the way back to the 80s.....and he runs the KOT into a couple of Cameron modded MArshalls that are already cranked up pretty good - so the KOT just boosts them and adds a little "edge" and "grit" for solos and heavy rhythms.

the KOT is a great pedal. just get on the list and wait - don't pay crazy ebay prices. buy it from Mike, wait your turn, and then BE HAPPY :)

fenderheavy

I have the KOT with the high gain mod on both channels. Use it in front of a DRRI with Mercury Mag x formers. Fantastic. Gives me a solid three channel rig. Fantasitc mid gain crunch and added gain (and volume) for solos. Truly a joy to play this rig. Also have a compressor in front of it to kick in if I need more singing sustained solos. I use a Strat Plus with a JB Junior in the bridge position.

zztomato

I'd do the trade. Sounds to me though that between the Tim Timmy and Fetto, you've got the overdrive section covered.
The KOT is a great all round OD for rhythm or lead work. The regular KOT has enough gain for most needs and you can always boost it for extra hair.

zosozep7

I bought my KOT in the Emporium for a little over $300. I see them all the time there for that price.

WolfmansBrother

Silver Supporting Member
I'm still on the fence with the KOT. I like it, but it seems to make my amp sound "boxy." I wasn't underwhelmed when I got it, but I also wasn't overwhelmed. I was mid-whelmed ;).

I've had a Tim for a while and it absolutely blew me away when I first plugged it in (and still does!). I'm on the list for a Timmy, too.

I have no plans of selling the KOT just yet. I just have to spend some more time with it.

I love AM, BTW. Crazy about my sunface and pep fuzz. I sold my mini bi-comp and have been kicking myself for that, haha.

effectsman

Through my rig I use it as a rhythm pedal. I have the high gain version but with my Strat it doesn't produce enough gain for me for solos. I don't run the gain on the OD side any higher than about 3/4 as the last part of the range sounds a little harsh to me.

When I have my plexi 45 clone cooking a bit and already adding hair to the notes, turning on the KOT just makes it sound spectacular to my ears. It just sounds like you have added more of your guitar, or turned your amp up another notch.

IMO it does the low gain transparent thing really well. Haven't played a TIM though so bear that in mind.

analogmike

I guess I'm after something a little smoother and more rounded than the Tim/Timmy sound, with a touch more compression. I love the Tim/Timmy circuit, and it's an absolute must for me, and the Timmy is probably all I need.
That sounds like the definition of the KOT sound, Tim(my) is more open and harder sounding. Which works better depends on your amp (hard like a Fender Twin Reverb or soft like a tweed champ) or what you want in the OD sound.

Trending Topics