Some remarkable Ornette

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Dajbro, May 7, 2015.

1. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

Live at the Hillcrest Club in Los Angeles, Oct of 1958. The band is Ornette, Don Cherry, Charlie Haden, Billy Higgins and Paul Bley. This is right before they went to New York and blew up the jazz scene. Recording quality is pretty good, all things considered.

2. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Wow, thanks. Is that out one CD? I'd like to buy that. That's some interesting fertile sh*t. Musical gestation in progress.

3. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

5. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Interesting Amazon review "It was the Paul Bley Quintet, not the Ornette Coleman Quintet. Incidentally, two of those hands you hear clapping were mine."

6. bender

bender Member

Love Ornette, but I need to be in the mood. Thanks (I am in the mood).

7. Neer

Neer Member

There is a lot of history with this recording--a huge turning point in the world of Jazz. First, the Hillcrest was Paul Bley's six-night-a-week, long-running gig. He added Herb Spanier on trumpet, and the two of them started playing totally free, which wasn't working in the group context. There was also Dave Pike on vibes.

When the bass player left the gig, he suggested Charlie Haden as a replacement. Bley said Haden arrived shoeless and "his choice of notes left something to be desired", but his time was "impeccable." The drummer then left and Billy Higgins filled the spot.

It was Billy Higgins who brought Ornette and Don to sit in. In Paul's words:

"Several things happened almost at once. The audience en masse got up, leaving their drinks on the table and on the bar, and headed for the door....The second thing that happened was that during the first saxophone solo, large parts of the music had no discreet notes that one could say were being played. As a pianist, all my notes are readily-identifiable parts of the well-tempered scales, so on the spot I had to reassess my role in the group. Another thing that happened was that, for example, while Ornette was soloing on a 32-bar piece, suddenly he would play eight bars that had no relationship, or relatively little relationship to anything else in the piece. They were phrases that he would play because they fit in eight bars....

After the first set was over, Carla and I went out to theparking lot to have a talk.

'If we fire Dave Pike and hire Don Cherry and Ornette Coleman, we won't last out the week. What should we do?'

We looked at each other and smiled and both said, "Fire Dave Pike.""

History was made! BTW, read the book, Stopping Time: Paul Bley and the Transformation of Jazz.

8. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

Great, thank for posting the recording Dajbro, and for the great story, Neer!

9. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

Yes! Great read.

10. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

Big time Ornette fan here. :beer

11. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

thanks for posting this.

It is very interesting to read how the musicians got together and how they decided to proceed and venture to play in a more free format.

Must be a sight to see your audience get up en masse and head for the doors.

12. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

Yeah, it took some guts to do what they did. Thank goodness there are people like that out there.

I'm imagining Paul in this day and age faced with a similar issue and posting on The Keyboard Page: "I've got a steady gig with a pretty good band. People seem to like it and I'd really like to keep this gig as I've got bills and a family to support. However, these guys came in and sat in and while I really love the music, the entire audience got up and left. What should I do? I don't want to lose the gig, but I really like playing with these new guys. Should I keep playing music with the old group who the bar and crowd like and accept or should I bring in the new group who clear the place out when they play but whose music really gets me."

Just reminded me of some of the questions I've seen recently here.

13. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

awesome, thanks for posting, Dajbro, great story, Neer

14. jb70

jb70 Member

this sh!t is legendary!

15. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Amazing that this stuff is even on tape. A paradigm shift in the way music was played captured live. I never had the opportunity to see Ornette in a jazz setting, but I did see him sit in with the Grateful Dead. That was interesting to say the least.

16. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

I've listened to that 3 times already today.

Gives me goose bumps. Not much music does that anymore. (me = old and jaded).

17. Neer

Neer Member

Take it the next step a few years later when Paul was playing with Jimmy Giuffre. Some of the greatest music EVER made. They said they had to disband when they did a gig in NYC and each made less than a buck.

If you have adventurous ears and the ability to let yourself get sucked into the music without judgment, you will know the greatness of this band. The Jimmy Giuffre Trio-- especially Fusion (1961, I think). steve Swallow on acoustic bass, no drums....just insane.

Off the topic of Ornette, I know, so I'll post my little Ornette story: I met Ornette on line at Radio City Music Hall going to see Pat Metheny during the Still Life Talking era. i couldn't believe my eyes that he was just standing there like a patron instead of seeking out the guest line--either that or he bought his own tixket. IDK. I said hello and a wonderful conversation for the next 20 minutes. I was about 24 and so dumb.

18. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

I know very little of Giuffre's music. A little bit of the stuff Jim Hall did with him but even that, I haven't listened to much. I need to give it a more in depth listen. From what I can tell from things here on TGP, our tastes run in similar directions so I'm sure I'll dig it.

Great Ornette story! Any words of wisdom from it you want to share? I can't imagine standing around and chatting with him for 20 minutes. I have a feeling my mind would be blown.

19. Neer

Neer Member

They played a lot of Carla Bley's music.

Bill Evans and Lee Konitz made a record of Jimmy Giuffre arrangements, too. Really great record.

20. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

Cool! Thanks Neer. I'll be checking him out over the weekend in between going over material for a gig tomorrow.