Some Righteous Blues Harp Playing

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Brian D, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Brian D

Brian D Member

Ladies and gentlemen, I present for your listening pleasure the great Sonny Boy Williamson. He's so full of soul his finger snaps even have it!

(I have no idea what the image at the beginning is from, however. A lynching? Nazi Germany?)

Any other blues harp videos out there to share?

2. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

That is all the blues harmonica anyone needs!!! Great thread, so far (two posts and nobody has put up some dumbass John Popper **** yet)!!!

3. Schwalbe

Schwalbe Member

My apologies if this is excessive. I could do this all day.

4. Brian D

Brian D Member

Not at all Schwalbe. It's nice to see some positive examples of blues harp playing, instead of the usual (and mostly well-deserved) rants against excessive wanking!

Actually... can harp players wank, or is that just a guitar thing? :huh

5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I can listen to very little harp music. Sonny Boy, yes... Just his voice and harp. It is an extension of his singing.

When I hear a blues harp in a band context..

Not the case, not at all.. I can deal with a bit of wanking on any instrument, but the harp players I have been exposed to overall, take the cake with regard to wanking. Cannot listen to it at all. Every pocket, every fill, THERE IS THAT DAMN HARP!

6. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

my favorite Blues harp players alive today:

Kim Wilson
    Willie "Big Eyes" Smith
    Mark Hummel
    Billy Branch

7. motis1953

motis1953 Member

Gotta love all those guys but one of the best I've ever seen was Carey Bell in the early 70's. That young whippersnapper Jason Ricci does a great job in his smoking band and is doing some very innovative stuff using pedals and playing jazz on the chromatic. Every youtube player in your thread is fabulous. It's almost enough to make me change my "check all harmonicas at the door" policy. Almost.

8. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Yes.

...but a good kinda wank!

9. Poppa Stoppa

Poppa Stoppa Member

In an ideal world you could tell people what you really think of them..."You sir, you on the gob-iron, you are a total wanker..." but this isn't an ideal world, so..."You are a fine fellow, a master of the harmonica, I salute you and wish you the compliments of the season" will have to do.

PS...to the harp players I know...I AM JOKING...(they can be such sensitive flowers)

10. Schwalbe

Schwalbe Member

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:crazyguy

11. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

They didn't pull that crap when they played with Muddy Waters.

12. MacLoud

MacLoud Member

Hi Gentlemen

"Harmonicas are like guns, they should be checked at the door."

Quote from Gatemouth Brown just about says it all for me.

Delta MacLoud

13. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

Sounds like the other 90% of bands that have a guitar as a lead instrument! Lol!!!

I find your comment interesting since, as a harp player, I've listened to probably more harp then most on this board and can't think of even amateur bands around here where that is the case. I can instantly think of 3-4 bands like that with guitar players, though.

Actually, I think there are a lot of keyboard players out there who would put guitar and harp wankers to shame....they simply can't play blues and always have to be busy, busy, busy! Space is your friend.

14. musicofanatic5

Oooo, unless you're at least fifty I would seriously doubt it!

Alright! we got about six posts in before someone brought up Jason R! See if you can get a blues gtr thread to go six posts before someone brings up that Bananamosta dood!!

Great vidjo posting, Dan!!

15. Schwalbe

Schwalbe Member

Thank you Jon.

:aok

16. lougio

lougio Supporting Member

17. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

I would be a large some of money, gear, food, whatever, that I've listened to more harp then most the board. How many thousands of people are on this site? Even if there are 1,000 on this board, I doubt that 500+ have listened to as much harp as I have. Therefore, I am in the more than most category. ;)

Plus, hearing harp in a song isn't necessarily listening...much like most the guitar players on this board can hear stuff that I don't when listening to guitar...

Age is often meaningless compared to experience...one doesn't ensure the other...John Mayer, Derek Trucks, Joe B....they are all under 32 aren't they?

18. nmontz

nmontz Member

Mike, you can argue with Musicofanatic5 all you want to about experience and listening to harp players but........I've learned to keep my darn mouth shut when I don't know nothin' rather than open my mouth and remove all doubt. Usually this means I keep my mouth shut most of the time and listen to what is being said. I'm only 32 though and want to be smart someday, I hope I get there....your mileage and experiences may vary. From what I gather Jon has backed up a few harp players in his day.

Here is a post in the WCBT from Geoff to Musico...

"Respect where it's due Jon - you played on some of my favourite albums! Good luck with the grammy!"

OK....back to this thread...Just cause nobody has mentioned two of my favorite Harp players yet.

I just couldn't find any great youtube clips of Sam Myers playing harp live with Anson...gosh I miss sitting infront of those two tweed bassmans!! Here is a clip of Sam in the studio though....

James Haman plays harp like I like to hear it!!

I could listen to Kim Wilson playing shuffles like this 24-7

19. musicofanatic5

Sorry, my misinterpretation. Yes, you probably have listened to more harp than MOST ON THIS BOARD ('specially the gtrists here who unashamedly admit their inability to tolerate any harmonica!). I took you to mean had listened to more than any on this board. For this, pardon me.

I believe I have seen a posted vidjo of your band (at Neumann's maybe?), by which I judged your age to be...well, younger than me or, say, Dan. I was thinking of all the cummulative lifetimes Dan, I and any number of blues musicians on this board have spent backing up all those hunnerds of harmonica players through the years, not to mention all the Walters, SonnyBoys, etc records studied for endless hours. That's listening to a lotta harp. That's all I was getting at in terms of mentioning age.

Hmm, in writing the above it, I thought about the term "blues gtrist". What many might not consider is that the true measure of a "blues gtrist" is not how badassedly one can wail alla them SRV licks, but rather how well one can back up a harmonica player!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009