Some serious Dumble fans on TGP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jazzandmore, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Wow there are some serious HAD fans on TGP. I mean guys that constantly search different websites looking for D amps and then posting for us all to check out. Only a real fan would do something like that. Like my friends who talk about the high price of taking the family to the ballpark and enjoying some food and drink. They are diehard fans, so they look in the ads all the time to see if somebody is offering tix for a good price.

I must admit, I am totally happy with the gear I've got. Although if I could afford one, I'd definitely give it a play to see if I wanted one. Oh well, Robben, Larry, Joe, play the crap out of them and let the rest of us enjoy hearing it. In the mean time, it's nice to read all the opinions of the fans and owners of D amps (Larry, Robben and Joe are you secretly lurking on TGP posting?);)

2. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

In my opinion no amp is worth that much. Even if I was Robben, Joe etc and could afford it, I'd spend a few grand and get a boutique builder to build me a clone and give the rest of the $85,000 to a kids' charity.

3. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

I had the pleasure of actually seeing more than one D* pass through the original Make 'n Music in Chicago. In fact, one had a flight case with "Jackson Browne" stenciled on it. Cool stuff. It was years and years ago.

Considering how few real D* amps have been made, what I find amazing is all the the people here that have had a chance to see, hear, and play one in-person. I am assuming people want to get their first-hand experiences out to their TGP brothers; thus, all the comments and links to the "for sale" threads.

;)

4. bbaug14

bbaug14 Supporting Member

This bold faced lie should be a banner statement for everyone on this forum, followed by, "This is best amp I've ever owned, but I need to move it to make way for XXXX..." :roll

5. e???

e??? Member

Someone said the other day on another d thread that all dumble threads are started by guys in between 220-280 posts. Kinda weird. Guess he was right. I'm pretty into the story of HAD right now myself. Look at my post count

6. bettset

bettset Member

i did this in getting my fuchs ods 100 and i have a sebago ultraphonix bassman. there's a bludo in the mix too.......a nice thick sounding one. all nice with the right 2x12 or 4x12. all 100 watts. i'm lucky that i can turn up because that's where it comes from. oh yeah......tried the boogie kingsnake and i have an old LS classic 100/50. to be honest playing live.......i can use 2 amps together......anymore the ks and UP. i don't use pedal od's. i'd like to think i get better at the pick attack.......and playing with the guitar's volume and tone control. with these amps you can turn down the volume with your pick attack.....i think so. play with your fingers and thumb. when i get real old which isn't anytime soon more than likely i'll keep the boogies and UP. bill's UP could go up in value over the yrs........but i didn't have him mod the amp for that. it gets played and he did a great mod to the amp. the big names will do as they please cause they can. i think it upsets players since we try to get their tone that we think there's no way we can do that w/o the same amps and stuff. it's temptation candy.....and for jb and others an investment. now let's plug in to what we have and smile. and turn up. i've seen one dumble....didn't play it cause it was on a stage. he sounded awesome of course. i was in front. the thought of ever getting to have one is cool, but i agree with the post :munch

7. Jazzandmore

Thanks Tele, you actually got my tongue in cheek attitude for this post. It is amazing that so many D threads go on, and so many people have opinions based on how few amps have been made, and how few people have ever played one. I saw one once at RumbleSeat Music, it was unplugged and just sitting there. I didn’t like the tone :rotflmao

Seems strange to me that people really get worked up about the price of something that they will never own. It's like me complaining about the prices of Lear Jets....And so many who have never played the amp, really seem to dislike them. Seems weird to look online to find prices and posts about something you don’t like, and then go online and write about it. In that case why don’t we start a Yugo forum, I never owned one, and thought they were pieces of junk…..Let the Yugo bashing begin! :mob

Bbaug14,
    Yeah lots of dudes say that as they flip gear. And there are some great amps out there that is for sure. In my case, I’ve had only a Brunetti amp for years now, because they are exactly the tone I want. I don’t even bother looking at the amp emporium, and although I get multiple guitar mags, and give a listen to various gear they feature, I can honestly say, there is not an amp out there that I have an interest in owning other than the ones I’ve got. I know it’s counter to the TGP habit pattern, but I’m Totally Happy, with my amp choice. :D

Mogwai, not disagreeing with you on your opinion of what you think it’s worth. But you and I aren’t buying one. To someone who puts the money down, then it’s worth it. I don’t care about going fishing, and wouldn’t waste a dollar on a fishing boat, pole, etc. But does that mean I think all fisherman should buy a canoe instead, and give the rest of their money to a charity? Nice sentiment, but it’s not reality. It’s like saying “I wouldn’t marry that woman”. That may be true, but you ain’t her husband, and he did marry her, and he looks mighty happy :)

Every single day, people buy things they want and other people don’t want those same things. That’s the beauty of living in a free society. Pay for what you value and let others pay for what they value.

8. Al Rose

Al Rose Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. About 300 out there, and if you assume each one has been flipped say 10 times (I'm sure that's too much but bear with me) and each one had 5 people play is, then about 15,000 folks have actually gotten to play one. I know that's bad math, and I'm ignoring the "come to my studio and try it out" side of things, but as you say, with so little out there, not too many have been able to actually play one. I know I haven't, and I don't know if I've even seen someone playing one live in person. Saw Carlton in 1987, but coundn't see his amp.

As an analogy, I was at opening day in Cincinnati in 1974 and saw Hank Arron hit 714. I was in the green seats with my family. Still have the ticket stub. 52,000 of us saw it. That said, I would not be surprised if today in the baseball circles over 250,000 claim to have been there.

Anyway, I'll stop now as I'm rambling.....

Al

9. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

I think most love those amps cause guys whose playing they respect use them!

I've actually played 3 of them and was underwhelmed by the first 2 (Christopher Coss' were for sale at Valley Arts in the late 80's) granted a music store that you can't really put an amp through it's paces is most definitely not the best place to check it out! The 3rd one belonged to a guy I did a few gigs with. I liked it, but it really didn't blow me away.

10. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Not sure how you can even show your face around here without owning originals of both a dumble and a train wreck ; )

I've never been in the same room with either... But I think I'll survive.

11. Nota

Nota Member

Dumbles are like Klons, there's a lot of misinformation and hype.

But there is something to the sound, it captures some people's imagination! Personally I love the Dumble sound (at least, the version that's in my head), and the Ethos gets me there. I get compliments on my sound. I'm happy.

I don't need an $80,000 amp to get there, or even tubes. It's just an amplifier circuit that can be modelled in different ways, like AxeFx and Kemper.

bloomz likes this.
  12. rsm

rsm Member

I'm happy I dig the sounds of Vox and JC-120 cleans. Spending enough $ on these as it is. :p

13. kirk95

kirk95 Jazz Lines You Can Use in the Blues Silver Supporting Member

Just for the record, there isn't a (single) Dumble sound. They ALL sound different - even the same models. At least the ones (8) I have played. Some are amazing and some very average. It all depends on the particular amp. H.A. Dumble theoretically voices each one for the particular player that is buy it. The ones that are special are pretty amazing - as in sound/feel like nothing you have ever heard/played before! But there are plenty of clones that blow away the non-special ones... just my 2 cents...

I currently own 3 clones - Bludotone Ojai, Glaswerks Zingaro, a (Modded by Scott Lerner and Two Rock) Fender Bassman. All 3 get me plenty close to the "Robben Dumble Tone" that I like. If ya want to hear them just say the word. I have tons of videos and clips. Hit my links below.

bloomz likes this.
  14. Jazzandmore

^^^checked out some of your stuff, very nice.

That's cool you've played 8 different ones and really got a feel for the differences that made some special and some not so much. It's always good to hear an informed point of view based on experience.

15. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Samething with 58 and 59 Les Pauls. Crazy money! Its still cool to see one in person!!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  16. Jazzandmore

Actually got to noodle on a 59! Couldn't believe the dude handed it to me. All I could think was "just don't drop it or scratch it":worried

17. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

You can have sensible, informative discussions all day long here about Marshall, Fender and Mesa, but once someone drops the D-Word, the **** gets real. Quick.

18. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure about the math. Admittedly, I'm a gear whore and visit some guitar store at least once a week. And I get to go to Nashville a few times a year for a few days (and visit far more guitar stores there). But in my 23 years of gear whoring, I've had the chance to play two Dumbles I can remember. So, it seems to me that most of them get more play than that. Although that may be changing now that they're being listed for $100k. Not going to let every tom, dick and harry play something that valuable.

Maybe we need to press Tom Wittrock to buy a Dumble so he can let folks play a burst thru a Dumble at the guitar shows in Texas (because he will let you play one of his bursts if you're 1/2 way reasonable).

19. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I'd just like to be in the same room as one to hear it in the flesh. Playing one would be even cooler. All that though is highly unlikely.

20. DRS

DRS Member

It's just a tool. The creativity comes from the player. It's been elevated to a fetish here.