Some thoughts on the Axe Fx...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ed DeGenaro, May 14, 2008.

1. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

I'm late too the party. That said I really didn't get to interested until that Bogner re-amp thread which was a no contest win for the XTC. That said for the first time, and then a few days later when I heard a clip from Audioholic of the AxeFx that had me interested in checking it out.
    Now, I got a bunch of pms and e-mails about what I think of it, and I was very non-committal. If I own it I'll use unit and will make it sound ball park the same as anything else. Even though I prefer miked cabs I have gone so far and made my own impulse response for my cab/mic set-up so I can DI my amps if I feel like it.
    Where am I going with this? Well, my deciding factor of gear staying is how does it feel. Playing around with it was enough fun that I decided this wasn't going anywhere, and I finally cracked the manual open and started editing. The box does feel awesome. I tweaked around and liked what I got. Then I slammed the front with a Demeter midboost...perfect. No big deal I can get there with a overdrive, delay and a Twin. But how would it do for fretless? It was off the hook, this is going to be my go to fretless set-up.
    So...I really think the box is "all that" for my application. For any one else? I dunno...I'm just me.

2. digital jams

digital jams Member

So I take it you will bring it will you to NYC this Sept for the fretless gig?

I agree, you tweak everything to your tone be it a bassman or Soldano using pedals to get there if need be.

3. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Wow Ed!
    I felt you were trying to be a little quiet about your thoughts on the unit.
    I must say im surprised to see this post. Not that I dont agree with your comments, but I considered you a tube diehard. I have had mine over a year and its been the best live tool I've played.Wait till you hit it with an amp and real cabs. Try not using any amp or cab sims when running a regular pre amp / power amp / guitar cabs rig.In my opinion it feels even better. Oh make sure the tone stack is in the passive mode too( global settings button).The Axe FX has the feel and tones for sure.I think that once you dig deeper, you will make it an integral part of your main rig.
    :RoCkIn

4. Ed DeGenaro

Absolutely will bring it for the NYC gigs.

5. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

i don't own one yet (i'm on the list) but was blown away by the ultra at the amp show last week.

6. Ed DeGenaro

i am a tube die hard...heck, I work for THD and I had to be sure I really dug the box as much as I thought I did before making any statement. Especially seeing that I heard more talk about it, then clips that sold me. This really was a "gotta try yourself" hang.
    Next step is integrating it into this...
    [​IMG]

7. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

This is very timely... I just got "the email" - my number's up on an Ultra. Decisions, decisions! You might have just tipped the balance for me.

8. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Glad you like it. This was really the point of most of us 'drank the kool-aide' types. You just don't get it until you get one...try it.

Ron

9. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

Ed,

I use my AxeFX with a MosValve amp and it sounds fantastic. I'm sure you'll have great results. :cool:

Matt

10. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Ed
    Thats a nice rig you have assembled there, but thats a lot to haul around.
    I cant wait to get your feedback after the live gig with the Axe Fx.
    I could see it simplifying your life.Please keep the tunes and clips coming.

11. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

All I can say to Ed or anyone is if you actually like the presets, you'll completely love it once you write your own... The presets are very blah to me and within a week a few years back I made my own that were so much better for me. It's an absolutely incredible unit and I still have the old firmware on mine ! Can't wait to 1 day sit down and upgrade it

Eric

12. Ed DeGenaro

You're not kidding, I started last night and that thing blew me away once I started twiddling knobs.