Somebody can call Paul C?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AFCA, Sep 3, 2005.

1. AFCA

AFCA Guest

Hi! Could somebody please call Paul C for me and ask him if he could to make a Timmy for me? He doesn't reply my email.
    I'm from Holland and I know he's a very busy man, but I can't call him. I really appreciate it, if somebody could call him for me, so that I can communicate with him via the regarding member. I know it's a job that's pretty easy for a lot of people on this forum, so hopefully someone could do this for me!

Thanks in advance!

2. AFCA

AFCA Guest

I'm not a bad guy. I'm very honest and have no bad intentions so I've approached him very politely. And I think that's quite normal btw.
    I just like to buy a Timmy from him because I think it's THE pedal I'm looking for! I'm convinced he would've respond after reading my email as a lot of people experienced him as a very nice guy. I know he's a very busy man and not always reading his emails...that's why he didn't respond I think. So that's why I like someone to call him for me.
    Maybe someone who's planning to call him could also ask if he can put me on his list? It's no big trouble, it's done in a sec. Besides their own name and address they just have to say my name and address too. I would really appreciate it!!

3. 6789

6789 Member

If you do a tim or timmy or paulc search of this forum you'd find that several times Paul has told people to not try to email him because he doesn't check email that often. He prefers phone calls. Don't they have phones anymore in Holland? Set your alarm clock to to adjust for the time difference and just call him. when I bought my Timmy, I called him three times and he answered each time between 7:00pm and 8:00pm. Or you could buy one on Ebay.

I've made a at least three phone calls to Holland in the last few years to set up hotel resevations. it's weird figuring out the different country and area code phone numbers but it does work.

4. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

5. shihku

shihku Member

I think you'd be better calling him,
    I did e-mail him several times, I was lucky enough
    to recieve one reply, but the next e-mail I sent
    him regarding an order for the tim, that I never
    got a reply for. I'm not sure if he never got my e-mail
    or what ever happened... he didn't contact me and it
    has been one month, so I gave up. So if you really
    want one just call him, and don't buy one from ebay,
    its not worth it. You can just wait for one month and pay
    alot less.

6. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

the guy is new and probably doesn't know what "pm'd" means.

AFCA, check your personal messages on the "user cp" on the uper right set of buttons.

7. AFCA

AFCA Guest

aarondavis,
    I know how a forum works and I know what pm means ;)

as for shihku,
    I really don't want to buy it from Ebay, because those people want to profit from Paul's pedals. That's awful and it's not worth the money. I could wait for a reply, but I think calling is the best option indeed.

A few people pm'ed me and were willing to help me out, so I hope it's gonna be allright after all and I can buy the Timmy! :)

8. elambo

elambo Member

If people are charging more than the original price for a Tim, it's because they can get it. A lot of people are willing to pay another $10 or 20 so that they don't have to wait so long to get one. I was lucky enough to find a great guy who only charged me the original price, but if it had been another $20 I still would have bought it.

In my opinion, Tims and Timmys are underpriced, at least when compared to other boutique pedals. What is a Timmy anyway? Like $100? That's a bargain for what it does.

Good luck with your quest. You'll love it.

9. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

If you really really want to send me that additional $20, that's fine with me!

Just kidding of course - glad you're still enjoying and using the Tim. My timmy ships from PaulC on Tuesday. The only bad thing about waiting for pedals from Paul (or anyone else), is that you tend get itchy in anticipation and start looking for other things to buy to sort-of "hold you over". It's a sickness...

10. shihku

shihku Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-TIM-OVERDRI...ryZ41416QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is not just a $10, $20 difference, I've seem them go for 200 on ebay. Paul can raise the price for his pedals if he wanted to, but his just trying to make musican's like you and me happy and not have to spend a ton, another reason people are paying high prices for these is probably becuase of the waiting time, if Paul had time to produce them faster, I don't think anyone would still pay that kind of price on ebay or wateva. That being said, if Paul was to do this as his main job, making pedals, he would probably raise the price for his pedals. But I think Paul should really at least setup a site for his Tim/Timmy. :dude

11. grego7

I don't know, it's an interesting thing regarding these small, sometimes one-person shops. I definitely am not speaking for any of these builders, just my own opinion, but it seems like some of these folks (paulc and clay jones immediately come to mind) enjoy building their pedals, and are doing so because of that enjoyment. They're not trying to "move the most product". And it seems as though, in at least paul's situation, adding a website or overtly trying to advertise in anyway might just overwhelm his ability to get these out as fast as he does. I think we've all read the threads regarding clay jones' regret about the infamous fifty.

I guess one of the main questions that arises is, should pedal makers charge whatever the market will allow? From the few conversations that I've had with Paul, it comes across very loud and clear that he charges what he thinks the pedals are worth. He doesn't care if someone sells or buys used, he understands that not everyone will dig his stuff. {he also lets you play the pedal for a week, and if you don't like it, he'll let you return it for a full refund. That, to me, is incredible. Though most folks, if they decide they don't want the pedal, will probably try to sell it at a markup} What seems to bother him is when his pedals sell for WAY MORE than the cost to buy new - and what upsets him isn't that he's "losing money", it's that he doesn't think the pedals are worth that inflated price, and so he worries that the buyer is getting screwed. He mentioned to me that he was planning to submit a whole bunch of timmy's for the Katrina raffle, which he liked the idea of much better than the tsunami auctions, because someone paid, what, like $400 for a timmy. He genuinely felt bad for that buyer. Really speaks to his character, IMHO. Again, not trying to speak for anyone else, these are just my observations.

12. shihku

shihku Member

but charity auction is a whole different story I guess, the money auctioned for the pedal itself has nothing to do with the real value.

13. grego7

Of course. That is a different situation than selling a pedal outright. My point was that (I think) he feels as though people shouldn't have to pay more than what he thinks is the worth of his pedal. In my opinion, their worth is higher than what he charges for them, but I've only bought a Tim and a timmy straight from him because I have never needed anything RIGHT NOW to the extent that I'd pay many dollars over the new price. It's just refreshing to deal with someone who is not hyping up his stuff as the "best ever", as some other gear makers (no names) are prone to do. He makes a good product, he charges a fair (amazingly good, actually) price, and he stands behind his work. If some pinhead wants to pay twice what Paul charges for his pedal to some yahoo on ebay, that's the buyer's business (impatient, instant gratification gear hound that he apparently is :rolleyes: ).

14. sssmile

sssmile Member

goodluck timmy is great

15. AFCA

AFCA Guest

I've read all this and from what I've read Paul is a very sympathetic man. He's a great dabbler (or how do you say it in English) and he's doing everything for fun. I really admire that! That's why I like to buy a Timmy from him and not from somebody else, because I think he really deserves the money. And for me, that's way more important than the low price!
    I have to say, like grego7, I'm not having an urge to buy a pedal immediately, but even if I did, I'd still be patient and wait for the pedal.

16. PaulC

PaulC Member

Hey guys,

I'm sorry about the mess with getting ahold of me about the pedals. The email thing is just really hard for me. The big problem is since my email has been out there for about 3 years now it's been latched onto by the "bots". I get about 200 junk emails a day, and I miss a ton of real emails because of that. Also I've run into problems because I have orders coming in by phone/emails/pm's/and guys just mailing in payments without my talking to them. It's very hard to keep track!! I'd like to keep it all by phone because then everything can be talked about, and there's no doubts about if an order has been placed or not. I've had alot of emails where I thought the customer was still thinking about it, but they thought an order was placed, so I wind up missing them.

I'm going to do my best to get on top of the emails, but really - phone calls are just the best way for me to keep organized. I know that's hard for everybody overseas, so I'll try harder!! I guess the answer would be to get a new email address, and get a web site going. But like it was talked about in this thread the reason I don't have a web site is because I don't want it to get bigger than I can handle...

Now about the resale thing... I don't mind at all if somebody can sell the pedal and make a couple of bucks off of it. that's the nature of an auction - a buyer bids what he wants to. But what I have seen alot is I'll have given a 10-20% discount on the pedals to make up for the wait, and then I'll see it posted for $50-100 over list. Not an auction, but a post on a buy/sell board asking $150 for a timmy I sold to them for $90. That's lame to me.

Anway - thanks for everybody being so patient with me! I've never blown off anybody, or ignored anybody wanting a pedal. It's just real easy to get overwhelmed doing this.

Take care, Paul

17. larc

larc Member

My experience in trying to place an order with you is puzzling.

I've emailed you 3 times since February and my friend Wes phoned you twice to place our order for 3 Tim pedals and we still haven't heard back from you.

When Wes called you the first time, you instructed him to email you our order. I did exactly that and waited until the estimated time frame you given him elapsed. I didn't hear back from you, so Wes called you a second time. You instructed him to email the info again. I did...still no response from you.

In the meantime, I've read a number of posts regarding your pedals and amps on this board. It's pretty common to see someone ask how to get in touch with you and it appears my friends and I aren't the only ones that are having difficulty.

What I find puzzling is:

1. Why would you request us to email you are order info (knowing you already have problems sifting through junk mail)?

2. Looking at your posting history here....for a guy who's busy and swamped, it appears you do have the time to read and participate in threads. Most of your posts seem to be in threads which concern your products. I get the impression that you're more concerned about what people have to say about your product vs. being genuine about spending the time to sift through your junk email (trying to fill people's orders).

Regarding your comment in another thread:

Whenever my friends and I order the same products, we always get together to pool our orders. This helps save money on shipping and also makes it easier for the seller. I dunno...since our order consisted of 3 Tims, you might've considered us profiteers. I assure you that isn't the case. I've yet to sell any of my guitar gear at a profit; things I've moved were always sold for less than what I've paid.

It seems the only way I'll succeed in obtaining a Tim is paying a premium price for a used one.

It's good to have builders and tech minded people participate on this board. Much can be learned when they share their knowledge. Not always, but sometimes I find myself questioning the intent of some people's participation here; whether it's genuine or perhaps there might be some kind of hidden agenda involved.

I've lurked here for a entire year, before I started posting. I've enjoyed reading and participating in many of the discussions here, but as the board grew bigger I can't stop myself from wondering about the content in some of these threads...whether some of these posts are truly sincere or if it's an attempt to hype or spam a product.

My apologies to those who are turned off by my thoughts. I've been biting my tongue for quite a while now, but if there are others out there wondering the same thing, perhaps some people reading this might think twice about the content they post here. It might help provide them in the long run.

18. grego7

+1

I agree that it's awesome that there are so many pedal / amp / guitar builders that participate in these threads. I'm sick of reading people asking a builder if he is so busy, how do they have time to read these threads (i.e. "where's my stuff?!"). Give me a break.

19. justabubba

justabubba Member

Paul is a genuine, nice guy, making quality effects when he isn't overseeing the production of superior amps.
    It's galling to see someone take baseless potshots at him ... possibly the most rude post I've seen on TGP.
    I now better understand why Clay Jones said no mas after completing the promised 50 pedals. Why spend precious free time making gear for a demanding, unappreciative jerk.
    *steps off of soapbox*

20. shihku

shihku Member

No one was doing that in this thread,

:cool: