Somebody explain this to me like the guitar idiot I am

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by patentcad, Feb 9, 2012.

1. patentcad

patentcad Member

Why do my two PRS guitars, an SC-58 and an ME Quatro, feel and play so much better than all my other guitars, which include a Fender Custom Shop, a Gibson Standard Plus, two Agiles and a Taylor? Today I swapped guitars with my guitar teacher who is playing a c. 1980 Gibson Custom, and he completely agreed.

WTF do they do in Stevensville to make the guitar necks play so great on these instruments?

Not looking to start any flame wars, just really curious what they do when they build them sets these guitars apart in the play/feel dept. I'm sure I'm not the first person to make this observation, PRS fan boys have been saying this for many years.

Don't get me wrong, I like the other guitars, but the PRSi play better, and I don't know why.

2. BigViolin

BigViolin Member

First guess would be how the frets are crowned.

3. nl128

nl128 Silver Supporting Member

I know what you mean. I picked up a 96 McCarty as my first PRS a little while ago and I totally fell i love with the neck and feel of it. Its all i played for a couple months. but now I'm back to switching back between the others with the prs included in the mix.

I think it just comes down to quality control and practical well thought out design. Every PRS is custom shop quality coming out of a factory.

4. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

well between the cs fenders and the prs i would think fb radius might have something to do with it.

5. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

Not to get too touchy-feely on you, but next time you pick up a guitar, figure out what it is that you *don't* like about it compared to how your PRSes play.

Is it the neck shape? Is it the fretwork? Is it the finish? Is it the way it sits against your body or the heel joint?

Back in the days when most guitar-buying transactions were local, it almost didn't matter if you could articulate it. You picked it up, played it, and liked it or didn't. But buying/trading by mail (or building from parts or ordering custom) seems to make being able to articulate it a much more valuable skill.

For my part, it's mostly neck shape and radius that's a deal winner or breaker.

6. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

The shape of the neck and the way the fretboards are made. This will differ slightly even between the same PRS models, it will vary drastically from one manufacturer's design to another's.

7. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

maybe you were just lucky enough to find 2 guitars that were perfect for you? not that they are any better than the others just that the are better for YOU! it's a good thing!

8. patentcad

patentcad Member

Yeah, could be part of it. But it feels more like the frets/fretboard feel or something. Can't quite figure it out. Like I said, I'm a guitar idiot.

Hey, I like 'em all. Love the Lester too, and that has a tapered neck, i.e., 50's on the low E string side, 60's on the high E string side of the neck (or so Gibson claims), but nothing really feels as good as those PRS necks. That SC is a friggin KILLER guitar.

9. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

Do get me wrong here, PRS makes great guitars as does Gibby as does Fender and so on. If you like the PRS gits you have, they start feeling more like home partly due to your perception. Your mind has convinced you that PRS guitars are the bees balls. Don't argue with it, just enjoy.

10. DRS

DRS Member

I think part of it is that the PRS come well set-up from the factory. Get a Fender or Les Paul set up by a pro and you'll have a great guitar too. Neck shape, however, is a matter of preference. If the PRS Wide Fat rocks your world, then go with it.

11. dilver

dilver Supporting Member

PRS: Yes, liked the feel. No, didn't like the tone. Worst thing that ever happened to Carlos Santana.

12. patentcad

patentcad Member

I wasn't so quite crazy about PRS tone until these two recent guitars listed in my signature. They are both killer in every respect.

13. patentcad

patentcad Member

My Lester was set up by a pro. It got better. Still not like the SC-58.

14. illini

illini Member

As others have said, it probably has to do with the way you play and the size of your hands that fit perfectly with those guitars. I have a Les Paul that feels like an extension of myself unlike any strat I have played, but this doesn't mean that Fender makes a lower quality instrument.

15. baimun

baimun Member

When PRS started their 57/08 and 59/09 pickup series, it was the best thing that ever happened to their electronics.... Every PRS I really liked before that had the stock pickups replaced.

You've really got to give them credit for listening to players and really distilling some useful new guitars. Many other manufacturers are either stuck to slavish recreations of guitars from the past, introducing quirky technology that's only marginally useful, or in the case of some of the bizzarro Gibson products of the past few years "You know what would makt that guitar better? If we sawed a bunch of holes in it... or maybe we should make it out of multi-colored plywood!" :huh

16. patentcad

patentcad Member

I must say that I've been pretty impressed with the Gibson Historics I've played @ the store too.

17. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

Absolutely nothing. They build them the way they think they should be built, and your hands seem to like that feel better. That includes the neck profile, thickness, fretboard radius and the fret sizes. Others will differ, and suit other guitars.

I for one have never really gotten along with Gibson Historics, nor PRSi. Oddly enough, my fav Gibson happens to be the "wrong" 50s neck they put on their cheaper non-historic Les Paul Standards. Even for strats, my fav would be the thick C they put on the John Mayer strats. Yet some others would argue that they prefer other shapes, other builds, etc etc...

I personally used to prefer exclusively the EBMM necks on the Silhouette Specials until i fell in love with slightly larger necks.

So if the PRSi works for you, then more power to you.

18. patentcad

patentcad Member

As long as everybody's happy, I'm happy. And I still want an R9. The last couple I played slayed me. I'm a singlecut guy I'm afraid. I just like that fat tone.

19. SteveO

SteveO Member

My '90 Custom Wide/Thin is still my most comfortable guitar after all these years. I don't play it nearly as much as I used to, but whenever I pick it up it still feels like a well-worn pair of jeans-it just fits me.

Incidentally, it is also the guitar that led me to the old PRS forum back in the day, and started my love affair with guitar forums. :)

20. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I couldn't get along with the wide thin neck but I'm going to try their new necks in the near future.

Regarding their PAF type pickups, I'd rather try something else. Too many guitars these days with PAFish pickups.