SOMEBODY needs to buy this archtop...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Dave Orban, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

2. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

Very, very cool!! i played a Lee Ritneour L-5 which is 15/5" and a 25-1/2" scale and absolutely loved everything but the price tag! (Which I would gladly pay if I could afford it!)

3. Dave Orban

Believe me when I tell you, this handily blows away any contemporary Gibby you may have played...

A 25-1/2" scale is the ONLY thing that would have "improved" this one, at least for me. (Oh, and MAYBE P90s...!) LOL!

4. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I'm not an archtop guy so excuse me if I'm asking a dumb question...but what is the point of that type of wooden, non-stationary bridge if you're going to mount the pickups directly to the top? I thought the idea was, if you want the top to vibrate the most (and get the most acoustic resonance), don't mount stuff on it. Is the idea that you do want the top to vibrate but maybe not that much?

5. Dave Orban

Like anything else, the whole is predicated by the sum of the parts.

In this case, the hand-carved top is left thicker in the center, to accommodate the mounting of the pickups, and then t tapers dramatically toward the sides... The wooden bridge is favored by many archtop players for its very specific sound qualities.
    Some like it and others don't. But the ones who like it tend to love it. ;)

Is it a true archtop, soundwise...? No. It's designed for electric play, hence the smaller depth, minimizing feedback issues. The body size was dictated, I believe, by Bill Frisell, for whom this is a signature model.

It's certainly a "tweaked" recipe for an archtop, but a very nice one, indeed.

6. Evan Gluck

Evan Gluck Member

I attended a class Steve taught at the Guild of American Luthiers convention in Tacoma last month. He is a genius and a very interesting guy.
    Evan

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

John's place is about 2 miles from me. I'll pop along - I owe him a visit anyway......

Best, Pete.

8. Dave Orban

Remember, it was developed specifically for a very specific gigging musician...

I guess that's what he wanted...

9. george4908

george4908 Member

Interesting, haven't seen that one. It looks like a more conventional variant of the "Little Archie" that he developed for Frisell some years ago:

[​IMG]

I played the prototype of this model at the L.I. guitar show about 8 years ago. Surprising acoustic volume unplugged; plugged in it was gorgeous, everything you'd want in an amplified archtop. And cute as the dickens. I would love to have been able to buy it on the spot, but the price tag was $5k at the time, even more now.

10. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Man, I am so happy that I've never developed an itch for a jazz box.

:)