Someone else signed for my guitar: Fedex content

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by buzzp, Jul 12, 2019.

1. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

all delivery devices have GPS. When anyone makes a delivery a dot is marked on a map where the stop is completed. You can request GPS information on problem shipments. Just an FYI.

eclecticsynergy and stratocat63 like this.
  2. stratocat63

stratocat63 Supporting Member

I have a name that is not John Smith but there are a few of us in the phone book. They had a problem with the label or something and took it to the nearest XXXX XXXXXX they could find, and left it. Brilliant! Except, it wasn't my house.

Beano Addict likes this.
  3. Steinmetzify

Steinmetzify Member

This is incorrect.

I work for FedEx and the 4 sig options are

None

ISR - Indirect Signature, wherein someone will leave a tag on your door, you sign that stating that you say it's ok for the driver to leave at your door next day, collecting the tag as your legal 'signature'.

ASR - Adult Signature, wherein the person signing has to be visibly over a certain age or show valid ID.

DSR - Direct Signature, wherein a (not THE) person has to be witnessed signing for the package....differs from ISR meaning driver has to actually physically see a person signing, where with the ISR you can sign and leave for driver to take and scan and then turn in at end of the day.

Basically, it's not the driver's responsibility to check ID at your house....if they knock on the door and someone answers and says "Yeah I can sign" driver basically has to let them.....it's the address they're after, not the actual person. If the driver spots a neighbor they'll ask if they know them, and if they do it's recognized as ok by FedEx for the neighbor to sign and driver to leave the package.

As far as your package being shown as delivered, that's laziness on the driver's part. After he realized his mistake, he should have scanned it again and then coded it, so it'll go out again next day.

4. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

No I'm not. Look up the word "Indirect" and tell me what it means.

5. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

I've had the driver sign on multiple occasions... I have RING recorded proof.
    I get everything delivered to the local store now.

6. Steinmetzify

Steinmetzify Member

I didn't say you were incorrect, I said what you posted is. I'm not talking about the definition of the word, I'm telling you what it means in the FedEx lexicon, and in this case you ARE incorrect.

In this case, what it means EXACTLY is that in the case of an ISR for FedEx, a tag is left on the person's door for them to sign, meaning that FedEx gets their signature INDIRECTLY, which is why it's called that. Customer giving driver indirect permission via a tag they sign which is then turned in and filed, to leave something at the door the next day.

If you don't work for FedEx and never have, I'm not sure why you're arguing with me. If you did and did it differently, maybe things have changed since you left but it's been this way for a long time.

I've run routes for Ground, Home Delivery and Express, and that tag is the same for FedEx everywhere.

7. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

I've been doing it for 25 years. If you don't know that an ISR can be delivered to a neighbor or a neighboring business then you were or are a bad driver. You are correct about signing the doortag to allow the package to be released the following day. You only have half of it right.

8. Steinmetzify

Steinmetzify Member

Interesting. I’d be fired for that. Where are you?

9. Neff

Neff Member

Worked with fedex for years as part of my job 2003-2010. We’d have anywhere from 20-60 boxes a day show up from our customers. Usually a few a week would show up on my inbound report as being delivered, but they’d be nowhere to be found. Our receiving folks were supposed to go though the shipment piece by piece before signing for it. However, quite often if the driver didn’t see someone handy they’d enter a signature of “AA” themselves and leave. Always frustrated me to no end, our fedex rep said they do it all the time and there wasn’t much I could do about it because the driver wasn’t going to “wait around”. We were that reps largest account.

I got that rep fired. The new one was no better though. Glad I don’t work with them directly anymore.

10. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

I have been waiting all week for an amplifier to arrive. Requires a signature. Today was the big day. Home all day waiting for Fedex to deliver it. I finally look on my computer at the tracking info. Says they tried to deliver it this morning and got no answer at the door. I was here anticipating their arrival. No knock, no doorbell, nada!! I'm in a small town with no hub (it's 70 miles away) and no stores that handle Fedex so I'm screwed. Now it says they will attempt redilivery on Monday. I did look on my door and there was a notice. Actually this is the second time the same thing has happened in the last couple of months. I have no problems at all with signature required packages from UPS or USPS.......rant over!

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  11. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

Top line of a FedEx doortag is the date.
    The line after that says "package left at and a blank space". The powerpad has a prompt called Indirect delivery. You follow the steps and the package is delivered. You don't know what
    Your talking about.

12. Steinmetzify

Steinmetzify Member

I know exactly what I'm talking about, and I'm telling you right now if I did that I'd get fined. If one of my drivers did that, they'd get fired.

Maybe it's different where you are, but that's straight truth. You, apparently, are the one that doesn't know what he's talking about.

This is the tag we use:

[​IMG]

and we don't have an option for anything but the Indirect sig as I've outlined. We are ONLY ALLOWED to fill out the necessary info and leave the tag, then collect it the next day. If it's an ISR it gets the tag hung and that's it. Anything else, you're fired. End of story.

I was civilized to you, then you told me I was wrong, then you stated I was bad at my job.

I'm done arguing with you.

OP, your buddy's case should be on the truck tomorrow.

Beano Addict likes this.
  13. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

I apologize. I'm FedEx Express. We have different doortags and different rules. From your comments you sound like you follow the rules like I do. Once again I'm sorry for my comments.

14. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

I have never been told any of this by any fedex employee in this town in over 20 years of shipping. I've asked countless times what indirect sig means and every single time, no matter who it is or which fedex location it is, I was told it means it's ok to let one of your neighbors sign for it. Direct sig means only someone at the delivery address can sign. I'm not saying you are wrong, only that what I've stated here is all I have ever been told by any fedex employee in this town.

15. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

Very commendable. I respect this kind of honesty and I long ago made the difficult and unintuitive leap to recognize it as a strength, not a weakness.

It would also be commendable for the other guy to acknowledge your honesty and constructively recognize the misunderstanding. If two guys are debating something face to face in a bar over a beer and one of them says "Awww, you don't know what you are talking about!" it would not be enough of a motive to become enemies, and it should not be enough here either.

FlyingVBlues and Beano Addict like this.
  16. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

More than once I've had a FedEx driver claim they tried to deliver and got no answer, while I was at home waiting for them just inside the front door.
    No knock on the door, and no door tags were left. But their computer indicated attempted deliveries.

17. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

I'm the same way and will forever struggle to understand why that way of thinking is so rarely witnessed.

soundchaser59 likes this.
  18. Steinmetzify

Steinmetzify Member

All good brother. Figured there was something one of us wasn’t seeing.

Be safe out there!

T92780 likes this.
  19. Wino67

Wino67 Supporting Member

I avoid this by ALWAYS having items shipped to a nearby UPS store. They receive for $5 per package, including alcohol shipments. I've never had a problem.

20. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

In my area, I really prefer FedEx over UPS.
    With FedEx I can re-route to a pick up station BEFORE a delivery attempt (or have the package shipped directly there, which saves the seller some dough).
    With UPS I can't re-route until AFTER the first attempt. WTH?!?

Also, it is positive, IMO, to witness two FedEx employees debating about doing things right. Glad to see the passion they both displayed. Good to know people still care.