• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Someone hands you a guitar at a social gathering...what do you play?

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
I can't play without some kind of back up.
If I can't bow out ill usually play Hotel California, Melissa or Money

They sound harder than they are. so I pass the sniff test. shut up most other guitarist in the room and they all leave me alone

1shredmaster1

If someone hands me a guitar at a party I play the intro from Yngwie's I Am A Viking and some sweep and shred licks. Hopefully no one wants to hear more and I can continue drinking. Guitars should be banned at parties.

JDthaddeus

no-skill zero-talent guitarist and eternal student
Silver Supporting Member
I can play at home for hours and have gigged for several years. However, I can't think of a single thing to play when I demo equipment in a music store or when I'm at a party and someone finds out I'm in a band and hands me a guitar. What do you play?
When I first started playing guitar I wanted to impress people/girls. Now I really don't care. There's freedom to be had when you start playing for yourself and stop trying to impress people. So I would play whatever I felt like playing at the moment, even if it was just two notes.

Silverthorn

Assuming there are attractive single women at this social gathering - Over the hills and far away and when you have caught some sweet things eye you bust out the lyrics.

It was one of the earliest songs I learnt. :p

edgewound

I forgot... I could also pull out that song about prostitution that most every new guitar player learns to practice open chord changes...except F.

Roger Lyness

little wing...did somebody post this same topic a few weeks ago??
Beverly Hillbillies Theme, or I'm Just a Bill from schoolhouse rock, King Of The Hill theme,
Or if I am serious, Whipping Post, or Mood For a Day by Yes or Aqualung or the Blue Danube by Strauss in E major. Mr.Blue Sky mashed up with Yesterday is fun too. (Nearly the same chords)
I usually just take a request.
If I can do it and its not lame. Spinal Tap as well if its a good crowd.
You gotta try to make them sing though.
Depends on the crowd. Gotta read your audience, but as one of the last guys said, if they say 'play something' I play 'something' by George Harrison.

Roger Lyness

If someone hands me a guitar at a party I play the intro from Yngwie's I Am A Viking and some sweep and shred licks. Hopefully no one wants to hear more and I can continue drinking. Guitars should be banned at parties.
Yes they should, but if theres a piano in the corner, I might play some e flat blues, and tell anyone to play any black keys they want to in any order.

Muddy100

"Jesus Walking on the Water" - Violent Femmes.
It weeds out the stiffs from the people I wanna hang out with....and it doesn't turn into a guitar playing pissing contest. Pass me a beer...

ClickClack

Of course, if no-one there knows your name or address, you could just say, "Thank you," then run out the door with your new guitar.

Trending Topics