Someone please explain the 5e3 circuit

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Doodad, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Doodad

Doodad Member

I am not sure I get it at all and I know I don't know how to use it to its max. What is each knob really doing, what is each input and how to jumper if I choose to do so?

I have a Lil Dawg and I just can't seem to figure out how to max it out. I love the amp, Jensen Neo speaker in it, and I want to get all I can. It seems to be immune to subtle pedal use as well.

Any and all suggestions please. Thanks.

2. burner

burner Member

I run from pedal board into each input with an A/B box
    Run the Mic volume almost full up
    Run the Instrument volume at halfway
    adjust the tone to taste

You can switch via the A/B between the two channels and have a clean/lead setup.
    Running the Mic channel up high,cuts the mids from the Instr. channel giving a nice clean tone....conversely the mic channel then has more mids to help overdrive the amp.
    Anyway, you can't use a cheap simple A/B selector or it will hum.
    I've had the best luck with a Boss AB-2 switch

3. Doodad

Doodad Member

Thanks burner, I had given up on this thread. It is a great but mysterious little amp. The interaction of the channels makes almost too many combinations. Never thought about the a/b thing. Good advice.

4. hasserl

hasserl Member

The two volume controls are just that, volume control for each individual channel. For each channel there are two inputs, one is about twice as hot as the other. The two channels are not discrete, or totally seperate, there is a lot of interactivity between the volume controls of the two channels. Many people like to plug into the Instrument channel, set the Instrument channel volume for the amount of gain they want, then dial in the Mic channel volume control, which will roll off a bit of the gain but will also effect the mids. The Tone control controls the amount of brightness of the Instrument channel, and also serves as a treble bleed for both channels.

You can also jump the channels together for even more interactivity. Plug into the 1 input of either channel, then run a patch cord from the 2 input of that channel into the 1 input of the other channel, then blend the volume controls to taste.

5. Doodad

Doodad Member

And can I jumper between any of two inputs to the other channel? It did not seem to like it when I tried, but it may have been a cheap cable.

6. DavidH

DavidH Member

I don't have a 5e3 but i remember reading this,taken from Vintage Guitar review of the Clark Beaufort (on Clark's website); 'Also, the volume controls were interactive, just like an original. This allows the player to control the midrange of the channel used by turning the volume of the channel not being used. Maximum midrange occurs when the volume control of the unused channel is set about half up (about 5). Maximum midrange scoop occurs when the volume control of the unused channel is almost all the way up. When plugged into the bright channel with the volume about half up and then turning the normal channel almost all the way up (around 10) gave a clean tone very similar to a grand piano sound.'

7. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I like to jumper from mic 1 to instrument 2. Then plug the guitar into instrument 1. I set both both volumes to around 5 (out of 12) and get a nice warm middy raunch with a Celestion Blue.