Someone please explain to me why people get mad at Gibson for making new sig models

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ugacrow, Jan 23, 2012.

1. ugacrow

ugacrow Member

I just don't get it.

Gibson is a for profit company. Gibson execs aren't in it for their health. And no, a new Jonas Brothers or Drake model signature guitar does not affect the value or "integrity" of your '93 Les Paul Studio that you've "upgraded" to gold hardware and EMG pickups.

So what if they're trying to make a buck? Seriously, can someone please explain how on earth you can get upset with the company when they have a model that's made for pure profit?

Being 100% honest here. Buy the good stuff and leave the other alone. I didn't get pissed when Apple started making iPod nanos in pink. I thought it looked silly, and it was done entirely for profit, but it didn't make my classic black one less valuable of a tool, impact its resale value, or even begin to affect my view of Apple.

:huh

2. mralmostpopular

mralmostpopular Member

I think some people get annoyed that Gibson spends a lot of time coming up with new endorsements rather than fixing their QC issues.

3. ugacrow

ugacrow Member

If Gibson's QC is bad, don't buy its instruments. If Gibson realizes that creating new sig models is the most efficient way to spend its money, over fixing QC issues, improving customer service, or anything else, then power to it. Taking your money elsewhere is a much more effective strategy than whining about a new Jeff Tweedy signature model.

4. padavis

padavis Member

I think ppl get upset because they look at it like a high honor that shows an innovative and lasting contribution to the guitar and music. When Keifer Sutherland gets a guitar ppl just think that's a little misguided... I don't care but I understand.

5. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

I feel this way about nearly all guitar brands and models, despite all the complaining that goes on here.

6. Faded

Faded Supporting Member

I don't, and I won't, but I would if they put out a product worthy of the name on the headstock.

7. Faded

Faded Supporting Member

Yep.

8. mralmostpopular

mralmostpopular Member

You must realize that you are on a guitar discussion forum. When people go back and forth whether or not it was worth Gibson's time to work on another new model over fixing QC issues, that is a perfectly valid thing to discuss on a forum like this. That's kind of the whole point.

9. BKL71

BKL71 Member

I don't mind signature models as long as the price is reasonable and the sig model actually brings something new to the table besides a color scheme and a name on the headstock (or wherever). A good example of this would be the Buckethead Les Paul. That guitar has an oversized body, 27" scale and 24 frets, which no other Les Paul has, and it isn't something that could be re-created with a refinish and a parts swap.

10. The REAL Rocker

The REAL Rocker Member

People can't or won't understand that we all have our own standards for spending our dough, and because it makes no sense to some what and how others spend their money, doesn't mean we ALL feel that way:JAM.......................The REAL Rocker.

11. QQQ

QQQ Member

Because some people just enjoy being mad and contrary. Maybe they feel it is their mission to put the scales back in balance.

12. stratplexi

stratplexi Member

I don't understand why it upsets folks either. I have also noticed that any Gibson thread starts a lot of controversy on these forums. It's crazy with the love/hate thing and Gibson. I personally have had great luck buying them...no dogs in any that I have bought via the Internet. Thanks to plek they have all played well too.

13. sockeye

sockeye Member

Gee, I dunno...

14. patentcad

patentcad Member

Too many models. Confusing product line. Apple has 1 iPhone 4s, it comes in two colors and three levels of memory at different prices. Then they sell a couple of older models at reduced prices. RIM offers a couple of dozen iterations of the Blackberry. Apple is growing like crazy, RIM is on death's door.

KISS stands for Keep it Simple Stupid. I just think that would benefit Gibson in the marketing dept. That being said I do LOVE some of their guitars. I'm trying to be constructive when I criticize them, I really want them to succeed so they can keep on making these killer guitars some of us love so much.

15. ugacrow

ugacrow Member

I don't understand why this would bother you. If someone is willing to shell out $3200 for a pink and purple striped SG with Shakira's guitarists name on it, that's not hurting you, right? You won't buy it -- doesn't affect you if a bunch of idiots do...

16. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Well- I played a Bonamassa Studio Signature recently with a light brown fingerboard- and was very impressed with the tone and the QC was also quite good.

It was at least excellent, and I'd have to A-B it against some Historics and Standards to see if it's even better than excellent.......but excellent is pretty darn good for $1400.

Didn't care if it was a Signature or not- it was a good enough Les Paul that anyone could go onstage or in Concert with it-I was surprised, maybe they are not all this good but that one was impressive .

I could see on a semi serious level how some would be offended by an Ace Frehly or Pro Wrestler Sig Les Paul........

I also wonder about a Signature Guitar that's exactly the same as the other models.( ???) But don't care that much.

But if they came out with a set neck mahogany Strat with Zeke Zephyr's name on it- I would't care if I like the Guitar.

Since a Les Paul is a Signature Guitar already should there be a_______ Les Paul?

Should there be a Les Paul Signature Les Paul ?

Tune in next week ..............................

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  17. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

Sig models are hated on for the same reason they exist: Humans are incredibly picky as a species.

It's the same reason someone might hate on spinach. Because they don't like it.

18. BKL71

BKL71 Member

I never said it bothered or affected me, as I really could care less how some people choose to blow their money. From a player's standpoint, a signature model that brings something new to the table would be far more useful to me than a color scheme and a name on the headstock. If I can get that same guitar sans the signature and the paint scheme for a more reasonable price, then that's the guitar I will buy. I personally see no point in spending the extra money for unnecessary fluff.

19. ugacrow

ugacrow Member

Fair point. And guess I just don't understand why anyone would start a spinach-hate thread.

20. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

Me either. Humans just have different tastes.

For every person out there who loves the John Mayer strat, you'll have 30 who don't.

And since we are on a forum, of course we're gonna discuss our likes and dislikes....how boring would a forum be if everyone on here was like "OMG _______ IS THE BEST COMPANY EVER!!!" Debating and disagreeing is one of the reasons forum exist.