Someone used epoxy

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Mahogany, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Mahogany

Mahogany Member

An old neck repair involved epoxy when re-gluing into the dovetail joint and the neck now needs to be removed.
    What are the options?
    The instrument in question is a solid top cello and I would like to avoid flush cutting the neck off if possible but that is not out of the question.

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Supporting Member

I had a double-bass which got buried in epoxy by a piano-repairer Who Shall Remain Nameless. This bass, actually.

There is no easy way to deal with old epoxy. It took the Uptons endless hours to get that crap out. Dulls your tools too mighty quick too. Heat is sometimes a help they say.

If this is a fine old 'cello which is worth the effort, or if you are a luthier/masochist, I bet you're going to be thinking about a new neck-block. You could probably remove the top, saw off the neck-block with the neck epoxied in place, hack off the neck-block with a bandsaw and files and get back to the original dovetail on the neck. Then you make a replacement neck-block and reglue with hide glue.

All in all a job much easier to post about online then to actually accomplish. Good luck.

3. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

That's why I always play a bolt on...:bonk I kid!

That sucks! Hope you find a viable solution!

4. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

What a great and helpful post! OP asks a question from a distant star about a cello and a guy from Maine with direct experience chimes in within an hour. TGP at its best ...