Something a little different...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by heretic, Dec 6, 2005.

1. heretic

heretic Member

I'm having a guitar built by Scott French, a young luthier in Auburn CA. It's just about finished and I'd like to share some pics with yall...specs are:

1-piece swamp ash body, hollowed out
    5-piece maple/wenge set neck, 25" scale, 24 frets, pau ferro board
    DiMarzio DLX neck pickups, 5-way rotary switch, master volume, master tone
    Weight: about 5 pounds

Here are some pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. straightblues

straightblues Member

Very nice guitar. Who makes that bridge?

3. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

It is a hipshot baby grand bridge. I've got one in my Chapin. Very cool guitar. I hope you love it as much as I love my custom guitar.

cmn

4. Norcal_GIT_r

Norcal_GIT_r Member

I live right outside of Auburn.
    Does this guy have a website or shop?
    Nice lookin guitar!!!

5. heretic

heretic Member

Thanks guys...yes it's a Hipshot babygrand bridge.

www.scottfrench.com is the website, but it's under construction right now, although you can get a sneak peak on the homepage.

6. hansv

hansv Member

Unique shape, I like it.. kind of reminds me of an elongated Novax Expression.

[​IMG]

7. Scott French

Scott French Member

Cool! One of my customers/guitars on Gear Page! I can't wait to hear how you like your new guitar, Steph. There's a nicer shot of the back here: http://www.scottfrench.com/images/linked/steph/stephBack.jpg

I do have a shop just outside Auburn's city limits but its just in my basement. I'm trying to nice it up for public viewing upon appointment. I'm also trying to get the site running this month. Almost everything is done other than some copy writing.

This SF1 bodyshape is largely inspired by the Warwick Dolphin bass. That Novax does have a VERY similar treble side horn although this is the first time I ever noticed. Thanks for posting it.

8. axpro

axpro Member

NO scott, you're wrong! You were inspired by the Robin Machete! :D

[​IMG]

9. axpro

axpro Member

Actually, upon further inspection, it reminds me of a prototype fretless bass I built about 10 years ago! hmmm, i think you WILL have copyright issues sir... you'll have to build me a guitar "au gratis" to ensure they are different.... :D
    [​IMG][/IMG]

or maybe i was inspired by the machete :confused:

10. heretic

heretic Member

Hey Scott! Good to see ya here - Seems like an eternity between now and Tuesday when the Brown truck gets here!:cool:

11. Scott French

Scott French Member

Nice! I'm pretty sure it was the Dophin though. I designed that body years ago before I went to luthiery school or even knew who Ralph was (just heard of the Machete on this thread). Compaired to the Dolphin I don't think those other guitars look ANYTHING like my SF1!

I'm anxious for you to get it too, Steph!

12. axpro

axpro Member

OKay maybe not an "au gratis" guitar.... maybe an augratin guitar?
    mmmmmm au gratin.

KIdding aside, nice stuff Scott, good to see someone who works a little outside the box and doesn't just re-build the sane guitar 25 other companies are building!

13. 908SSP

908SSP Member

Love the body shape. The head stock could use a little tuning. Try staggering the tuners so that you can a straight string pull on all the strings.

14. heretic

heretic Member

I actually like the headstock shape a lot, and the round truss rod cover is a very nice touch! Straight string pull isn't an issue on a hardtail - BTW, the tuners are Planet Waves auto-trim locking machines - I'm addicted to them.

15. fyler

fyler Member

i like that a lot. i hope the finished website will have pricing info. :dude

p.s. scott, i like the guitar you did for spencer from hella too...even though the whiskers are bit....icky....

16. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

That looks very "basslike" to me.

17. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

+1
    and that somebody is not afraid to buy one!

18. heretic

heretic Member

Tone Terrific, I suppose it's always a leap of faith when you go off the beaten path, but in this case I'm glad I did! I am thrilled with this instrument. The workmanship and attention to detail are top-notch, the fretwork is outstanding, and the guitar rings lound and fat like a 335 -surprisingly so considering its small body size. Notes bloom when you bend them, and in a few spots, morph into harmonics on their own...I love that!

After a couple of days of freaking out, trying to re-adjust my forearm position (I usually play a Melancon S shaped axe), I am getting very comfortable with the SF1, and it is so light, it feels like nothing on my shoulder. Balance is very good, just a tad neck heavy - But the Planet Waves tuners are very heavy themselves, it would probably be perfect with some Grovers.

Obviously I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I feel that Scott French is a rising star in the world of guitar lutherie, and a great all-around fella - I got to meet him and hang out at his shop this summer. I would definitely recommend his instruments.

19. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

Scott- any chance you could post a pic of that great guitar you did for the guy from Hella (sp?)? Green with... was it back hair? haha. That guitar has one of the most beautiful body designs I've ever seen on an electric. Truly an inspiring instrument.

20. sosomething

sosomething Member

Nice attention to detail. I'm curious about the balance with the huge upper horn and strange strap-button placement, but it looks like a very deliberate design choice. Does it balance with the headstock pointing at an upward angle?

I also like the fact that the pickup routes would accomodate P-90s. :)