Something better than '57/'62 pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by supergenius365, Jan 22, 2008.

1. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I know there are a gazillion "What Strat pickup should I get?" threads here.

I want to know if anybody has switched from the 57/62 pickups to something they felt was much better.

I feel the 57/62's I play have a harsh high end.

2. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I likey the 69' CS's meself.

3. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Yes I have and have never looked back, Lollar Blondes. Smooth, slightly scooped mids that blow the Fenders away IMHO. The 69's are nice as well. I have a set of the handsigned Abby's that are very nice.

4. Chris T

Chris T Member

I like those pickups but...Duncan Antiquitys are my choice in both my 57 and 62 RI Strats...Texas Hot in the 62 and Surfers in the 57...

5. supergenius365

Been thinking about Lollars. My bandmate swears by Lollar stuff.

6. KBR

KBR Member

I have used Van Zandts since 88, and sold alot, I like em,
    and Lollar's and Fralins all excellent Strats and Tele's.
    for HBers I like Tom Holmes, Lollars & Voodoo's
    P90's Lollars.

I used em all on over 50 cds.

7. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

I had 57/62's in my alder/rosewood partscaster and under the suggestion of K-Line I tried the Lollar Blondes.

Perfect, that high end harshness is long gone. The Lollars are excellent. I couldn't ask for anything more.

8. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Peter Florance is installing some VooDoo ST 60's on a MIM Strat for me and doing some neck work as well. Getting it wound slightly hot a little on the edge of out of control.

I like his work and attention to detail, His Humbuckers kick ass and take names later.

regards

Joe Tee

9. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

If you like the sweetness of the Alnico II Lollars, Duncan's APS pups (1's are staggered, 2's are flat) are a really nice sweet singing, quacky Alnico II pup for a reasonable price. ( no dis to Lollar intended).

10. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I really like the 57/62's with pure nickel strings.

11. supergenius365

bump for more replies please

12. sqadan

sqadan Member

I have the 57/62's in my 62 reissue... I don't detect any high end harshness... Like the above poster, I'm using pure nickel strings though...

I'm tempted to try out some Fralins. Any opinions on those? How do they compare with the Lollars?

13. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Silver Supporting Member

The cs fat 50's are fantastic. Slightly hotter that say the cs 69's and a little more scooped souding but they are soooo smooth and creamy. They overdrive great.

14. frank62

frank62 Member

For me the 57/62 is the Fender pickup by which all others must be judged. Pure nickel strings and precise pup adjustments will get you there. The other pups mentioned are very good indeed but they are not the classic Fender sound.

15. jkats

jkats Member

I have a set of the 57/62 pickups as replacements in a MIM 50s Classic with a .1 uf tone cap (rather than stock .022), and they sound great -- better than the stock Alnico 5 (of course) and at least as good as the Duncan SSL-1. But are we talking about the same pickups? There are two versions -- the non-bevelled magnet pre-1998 version that can sound less than inspiring, and the bevelled magnet version from 1998 on that was reverse engineered from a 1963 Strat pickup, which is the version I have been using and recommend.

16. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Lately, I kinda like the Duncan Surfers (their take on aged original '64 Fender's)...and they are one of the few non-Fender pickups I've tried that, to my ears, actually have that old Fender vibe to them.

I used to really like the Van Zandt Vintage+ set...but, for some reason, the last few sets I tried didn't sound as good as the one's I tried about 5 years ago.

However, in my experience, pickups have to be installed in wood that compliments their tone to sound their best. A few years ago I did an experiment with 6 similar Strats, with the exact same set of pickups, and it was amazing how different they sounded in each guitar. So, I've come to the conclusion that pickup swaps are a hit/miss scenario.

17. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

wcr sr's...quite the vintage tone to my ear.

18. supergenius365

What height are you setting the pick ups? I have gathered from many posts here that Strat pickups work best when set almost level with the pickguard.

Also, what are some pure nickel strings? I am finding mostly nickel wrapped strings when I search on line.

Thanks

19. sqadan

sqadan Member

Yeah... Set the pickups pretty low to avoid harshness... I get much better control over the sound with the pickups set low. The bass side is always just peeking over the top of the pickguard with about twice that rise on the high strings. That's for the Neck and Middle, the Bridge is set a touch higher than that.

Here's a pic so you can get an idea:
    [​IMG]

As for pure nickel strings... I use DR Pure Blues. The last a long time, feel super smooth, and have great tone.

20. frank62

frank62 Member

^What he said. Pup adjustment is crucial on the Stratocaster. Different gauges and types of strings come in second place. I like the Everly B52 sets. I agree the newer beveled magnet 57/62 pups are the better ones.