Something between low and hi gain

hp29

I currently use Mad Professors Sweet Honey for low gain (or Overdrive if you want) and for the harder stuff I kick in Wampler's Triple Wreck. I love both pedals but I see the need to add something in between. Sometimes the Sweet Honey doesn't bite quite hard enough while the Triple Wreck would be total overkill, if you know what I mean.
My set up these days is either an LTD EC 1000 with EMG 81 in the bridge or a DiMarzio Fred (again bridge) equipped Ibanez RG. The amp is a Marshall 6100 head and a Marshall 1960 4x12 cab.

DanHorse

Maybe a Barber? like the Direct Drive, does good medium gain. A more incisive, less warm sound than the Barber would be something like the SolidgoldFX Superdrive.

tibbon

Seems to be overthinking it. Most overdrive pedals have a gain knob. Either turn it up or down.

More of a distortion, I ike the SolidGoldFX SuperDrive. I never tried their OD stuff, but I suspect someone will chime in. SolidGoldFX gear tends to enhance what already exists quite nicely.

Jet Age Eric

More of a distortion, I ike the SolidGoldFX SuperDrive. I never tried their OD stuff, but I suspect someone will chime in. SolidGoldFX gear tends to enhance what already exists quite nicely.
I dunno about "distortion"; I use the Superdrive as a medium + OD w/drive at 10 o'clock. I think IRG had a Sweet Honey before he got his Superdrive, so maybe he can provide some context. -E

br91

For medium gain I use an OCD, or Pharaoh Fuzz. Dirty Bomb dialed back works also.
The Pharaoh, The Elements, and Plimsoul mix well with other pedals.

Can use a Corona Chorus to fatten them up also.

Many drives do both. Skreddy screwdriver, Blackout Effectors Mantra, Fairfield Manifold, Barner Custom Cool or Small Fry, Tim/my, KOT, ... So many. What are you looking for tone-wise?

nrandall85

Whiteface Rat. I could have three or four on my board just so I didn't have to bend over and turn the knobs. Some people use it for fuzz. Kurt Rosenwinkel plays jazz with one. It has many shades of awesomeness.

hp29

Many drives do both. Skreddy screwdriver, Blackout Effectors Mantra, Fairfield Manifold, Barner Custom Cool or Small Fry, Tim/my, KOT, ... So many. What are you looking for tone-wise?
The SHOD does great stuff for the mid 70's style hard rock, so something that can complement this with more bite, yet fat and powerful enough to cut through the mix.

Jimmy_Rage

You might get lucky and find a discontinued Damage Control Womanizer or Liquid Blues pedal. Great tone and will probably get you the sound you're looking for.

- Jimmy Rage

Trending Topics