Something Completely Original

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PFCG, May 19, 2008.

1. PFCG

PFCG Member

I'm Curious, has any builder made something completely original, from the ground up?

No Prior influence from designs.

I know the Radio Shack designs influenced the Fender designs
    Then the original Marshalls were based on a Fender Bassman, and the Soldano is a hot rodded Marshall.
    So in some awkward fashion the Soldano is a heavily heavily modded radio shack design.
    (i don't know i its radio shack or RCA, or what, Correct me if I'm wrong)

Has anyone created something from scratch, just based on some electrical engineering skills.
    original preamp and power amp, tube or not tube.
    Something without a lineage.

just something new. something not Fender/Marshall/Vox/Dumble influenced.

I dont care how weird it sounds. just something inventive.

If someone could find me something like this, maybe ill invent a prize for the finder!

and i challenge any amp builder on this forum to make something new, something 100% your own.

2. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

A Soldano is a radio Shack design, in much the same way that a Formula One car is a donkey cart. Wheels, chassis, means of propulsion, steering system, suspension that will jar the teeth out of your head.

All of our technology is built on preceding technology.
    This is the age of refinement, not the age of discovery. Not to say that ther ewill be no discoveries, but they will be developments of knowledge rather than entirely brand-new fields of knowledge.

It's a pointless challenge. Even if it were done, no-one woulf buy it.
    Are you gonna put up 10 million for the R&D ??

3. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Lets see Marshall sprang from Fender and so did Dumble for that matter. Fender sprang from Western Electric. You could back up to the earliest Fender amp and couldnt do what your requesting.

There is no way to make a Gutar Amp design that is benign of any other influence. That would be like saying invent the wheel and make it like no other wheel before it.

4. strat68

strat68 Member

While I agree with the comments about development vs. discovery, in fairness to the original guy's question:

I just ran into this the other day while going through the mag stack in the outhouse. In a 2002 GP mag (Jon Spencer Blues Exlposion was the cover story) there is an amp reviewed that was high end and made with unconventional power tubes- used in the radio industry. It also had some wierd specs like a 30 ohm custom speaker cab- don't recall the exact value. Joe Walsh was involved with the product, and I remember it being described as a no coloration amp, just super clean.

It would be interesting to know how many units they sold and how the company is doing now 5 years down the road.

But this is as close to your question as I can come up with.

Steve

5. PFCG

PFCG Member

thanks for the info sjhorvath,

as for the other guys, i know the soldano is nothing like the radio shack designs, it was just a round about way of saying it.

I know things could be refined and the builders do an incredible job.

I know it was a donkey cart to indy car comparison, but this is a just for fun thread.

Im not looking for someone to reinvent the wheel, just something different.
    even if its only 1/2 a watt and has one knob, just something cool ya know.

Im not trying to get people angry or nothing, just a kind of a fun new thing.

please dont post ultra negativity if your gunna tell me oh its impossible or im dumb for even asking, just have fun for once!

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Well I hope I didnt come across to negative.

I do think there are some different things out there now we just dont know about.

A good example is my Andrews amp that squezes 80 watts out of four EL84's but folks just dont care for different. As you can clearly see they would rather follow the Dumble Clown around.

I do believe when something truly different arises we will not consider it amp and guitar.

7. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

here's a link to Viking amps : http://www.vikingamps.com/

I'm not sure how 'original' the design is..pretty sure I've heard of transformerless amps before, but it's a cool idea thats not widely used in guitar amps afaik.

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Seems the likes of VHT and THD are doing just that - no?

ZERO prior influence? Well, the thing has to power up, huh?
    Knowledge is accumulative. But, yes, there's a difference between a tweaked circuit and a less derivative path...

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Those would certainly fall into the tweaked circuit cat IMO.

If its square it aint a wheel no more. :p

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

And the alternative is?
    Besides, some of the aforementioned designs might be a tad more unique than expected (even if a lineage).
    At the end of the day, guitarists ain't exactly the most pro-active regarding new templates/technology.

11. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

There have been original designs, but there haven't been any new tube technological advances in probably 40 years. Original designed amps would include the original Rickenbacher that went with the Frying Pan, and maybe the first Gibson EH series stuff. If you want to go further back, then you would have to look at Atwater-Kent stuff.

12. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

1/2 watt and one knob ??

I believe it is called the ZVEX Nano. It sounds like a Marshall.
    Actually, Zach Vex is the kind of guy you are looking for. He has done some totally off the path things.

I wasn't being negative either, I wus just answering your question.

Musicians are traditionalists. In a post above, guitarists were noted to be not into new technology, and I'm probably guilty of that, but compared to orchestral musicians, we are outrageous consumers of newness.

13. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

14. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

15. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I would argue that digital amps are completely new technology. I don't know if Line 6 was first, but they certainly popularized the product. Of course it's ironic that the major focus has been on recreating tones of amps as much as 50 years old, but I'm sure the technology could be used to create "new" sounds, if we knew what they were, and had any interest in them.

John

16. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

17. PFCG

PFCG Member

thanks for the metasonix clip! now thats what im talking about for new!

i dont think id use that amp at a jazz gig, but its still something interesting to not always look at the same stuff we see here every day.

As far as the ZVex stuff, i thought it may have been something original, i know Mr Vex is a genius and its an awesome little amp!. Id love to pick his brain about the music technology industry and how he is in a way advancing it.

The mad professor, the metasonix, and viking are prime examples of what im looking for! Thanks so much.

I like the transformerless design, i wish my amps didnt have such heavy iron!

The mad professor is a great sounding amp too! i like the features it has to offer. Especially the built in power scaling.

As for Line6, i think that is innovation, as well as the Axe Fx is an innovative preamp. I dig all of their technology.

I was wondering if you guys would consider Acoustic Image to be an advanced amplifier. I love mine, but is it something totally different?
    For 5 pounds and 1000 watts, i think so!

18. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I know everyone is going to hate me for saying this, but, IMHO, the original Line 6 amp was the most original design in decades...

19. PFCG

PFCG Member

good call, it surely was revolutionary!

20. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I'd love to have one of those Metasonix amps for a weekend but doubt I'd like it. Rather than buying that amp, I would go with some of the Metasonix effects into a good sounding Egnater amp.

I'd also love to own a Wretch Machine to mess with but not at that price.

Jeff