Something for Viv Campbell DIO era fans

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by ak301, Feb 27, 2012.

1. ak301

ak301 Member

From his FB page:
    I had so much fun playing "Rainbow in the dark" with Steel Panther last month that I've organised a get together with my old Dio bandmates on Tuesday to jam some more of the old songs. I've been listening to the records trying to remember how the songs and solos go. I'm really looking forward to it!

2. Omega

Omega Member

Well, that is pretty cool. He sure ripped on those songs.

3. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

Vivian is a badass. I love the solo in Just Another Day.

4. V-Type

V-Type Member

Im glad he has had a re awakening on the subject of how in demand his Dio era material was.
    Honestly Viv wouldnt have even made it had it not been for his Amazing Guitar Prowess and with the guidance of Ronnie.
    He might not have liked working for a couple G's a show early on but then again he wouldnt have had the chance too reach the level he has for so long now.
    He owes a Lot too Dio and that era's Viv fans for keeping the torch burning in his favor.
    And BTW Phil C could learn a thing or ten from those first 3 Viv/Dio Platinum classics.
    For years I couldnt fathom why Viv an A+ player imo was playing 2nd fiddle too guys like Vandenberg and Phil C. when he clearly had everything and more too offer.
    Good for Viv though and he and Appice were great together.
    I caught him 3 times in Dio(Viv) and oh man the guy was almost VH,Rhoads,Moore all rolled up into one with RJD.
    Riverdogs was cool as well btw but his WS and DL stints leave a taste of Meh in my mouth

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Vivian could have chimed in much earlier after Dio passed - sure, bad blood between them but VC would be unknown if not for Ronnie (sorry, Viv always hit me as Gary Moore lite).
    No doubt the Dio material w/ Viv is the best, but his soloing sure ain't the highlight for me... Ronnie was.
    Now here's one helluva band (w/ orchestra) playing "Rainbow in the Dark" w/ RJD:

6. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

I dunno, I love Steve Morse and all... The Dixie Dregs channel on Pandora is probably my favorite station. Steve did not sell "Rainbow in the Dark" to me in that clip at all. He can play the sh!t out of a guitar... but he's no metal head.

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Thank goodness! He actually made it sound refreshing, IMHO. More ideas, command of time/dynamics, intensity/individuality, and facility than most... Dio's obviously having a blast.

8. V-Type

V-Type Member

Aldrich played it spot on a few years back and his stint was very album like from front too back.
    Great player,tone and taste imo.
    But Viv was no slouch at many live shows I caught with Dio in fact he stole the show guitar wise.
    Imo the sum of that band with Bain,Dio,Viv and Vinnie on those first 2 is lightning in a bottle and just oh so rare too duplicate.

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

What I've heard of Aldrich is really great - intense, like Sykes, but his own man.
    Agree that Bain/Appice/Viv were special.

10. louderock

louderock Member

Not safe for work!!!! Language!!!

11. Jimmy B

Jimmy B Member

Vivian sounded great in that clip! His playing on Holy Diver was "teeth cutting" material for me.

12. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

What I find amazing is that Ronnie still sounded great as he got older. He took care of his voice.

13. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

I saw him perform with Heaven and Hell on their last tour less than a year before he passed away. His voice was as strong as ever.

RIP Dio, you rocked. /m\

14. Bankston

Bankston Member

Wonder how much wood shedding Viv had to do to play Rainbow?

He probably hasn't played it live in 20+ years.

15. evildik

evildik Member

I remember an interview with Neal Schon after Rainbow first came where he was praising the heck out of Vivian's playing. Still one of my favorite solos from that or any other era.

16. rspencer

rspencer Member

Those albums made Campbell's name.
    And still the high point, IMO.

But to me, apart from RJD himself, the star of that band was Appice.
    His drumming is incredible.
    And based on how high he is in the mix, maybe not just my opinion.

17. Brooks

Brooks Member

agreed. vinnie has an amazing backbeat; its like he hits the snare at the last possible moment to still be on time, it smooths out the whole groove. basically, he's the polar opposite of almost every drummer i've ever worked with, ha.

also agree that dio was viv's best stuff. i once read viv say that phil c "does all the fancy licks" in def lep; what a joke!! sux that they keep viv down & don't let him rip.

18. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Huge Vivian Campbell fan...everything I've read and heard from him is that he is incredibly happy in Def Leppard. I don't see them "keeping him down"...he gets chances to play in their set. I love the guys playing, but he'll be the first one to tell you that from a technical standpoint Phil Collen is head and shoulders above him playing wise. No slag on Viv at all, but Collen is a monster player.

19. 83stratman

83stratman Member

Collen a monster player? :facepalm

20. Brooks

Brooks Member

where?? not on def lep's stuff. he was guest shredder on VH1's that metal show, sounded very mediocre imho (esp compared to past guests like george lynch, tony macalpine, ritchie kotzen, yngwie).

but dio era viv was a rippin' metal player.