Something I dont like about boss pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JasonAz, Feb 25, 2012.

1. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

if the Bosses ac adapter happens to go bad, or it comes out of the pedal accidentally, god forbid during a show, then all the sound stops. This also happens with my ehm freeze pedal and the digitech pedal.
    Is this because theyre buffered pedals? Because, for example, my block phase 90 reissue, and tech 21 rotochoir, have buffers however, when i disconnect their ac adapter, the guitar sound remains. it doesnt go away like the boss/.digitech etc pedal... A little confused about this,. hopefully someone could shed some light

2. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

True bypass vs. NOT true bypass?

3. luke_95

luke_95 Member

Do you put batteries in the phase 90 and tech 21? If so they should still work even when disconnected from power supply

4. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

no batteries in them

5. SeicheNZ

SeicheNZ Member

yes, only that some versions of the phase90 are not true bypass but have a bypass version where the output of the circuit is still connected to the output that goes to the output jack. so the signal can pass, but is still influenced by the circuit (tonesuck)

6. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

anyone else. still a little confused

7. Dompax

Dompax Member

What's so confusing? Just a different bypass architecture..

8. SeicheNZ

SeicheNZ Member

don't be confused. it's normal. it sucks, but that's the way it is. :console

solutions:
    - you could use a true bypass looper to put your boss pedals in. That way you can take them out of the circuit if necessary.
    - Use backup batteries (rechargeable if you prefer) that are in the pedal at all times, in case something comes loose.

9. KindaFuzzy

KindaFuzzy Member

Just put backup batteries in, they won't get used unless the cord gets ripped out. Won't save you if there's a power outage or bad adapter, but then you just have to disconnect it and go battery only and it'll work fine.

10. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

bad part of that is you'll have to disconnect everything from the input or else your battery would drain in between playing.

11. amp_surgeon

amp_surgeon Member

Putting the AC adapter plug back in will also disconnect the battery. The problem is if you've got a backup battery installed then you probably won't know if the AC adapter plug has come out, so you won't know to plug it back in. If you're using backup batteries then it's a good idea to check all of the AC adapter plugs before packing up your pedal board at the end of a show. It's easy. Just turn off your power supplies and then try to turn each pedal on. If a pedal turns on then the backup battery is engaged, and the AC adapter plug isn't seated correctly.

12. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

the only thing i dont understand is why my buffered pedals still allow the signal to go through even though the ac adapter is unplugged. i thought that was a trait of the tb pedals only.

13. SeicheNZ

SeicheNZ Member

"buffered" is relative in that context. your "buffered" pedals (at least the old school phase90) are not "buffered bypass", so to speak.

here is an excellent explanation of the difference between hardwire and true bypass.

and here is a good explanation of the difference of true bypass to buffered bypass, taking a tubescreamer as an example (for a typical ibanez/boss kind of effect)

hope this helps. :aok

14. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

Ive ended up at those pages before, but had a hard to reading them. A bit too e=mc2 for me.

15. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

your question was answered a few different ways. are you still unsatisfied?

16. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

I see what siechenz means now.