Something I've realized about GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by habanaerosmith, Mar 5, 2015.

1. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

I've recently become somewhat obsessed with inexpensive gear. Not crap, mind you, but sub-$500 guitars that, when set up properly and possibly upgraded modestly here or there, compete quite formidably with much more expensive guitars. Guitars like Highway 1's, MIJ Fernandes Strats, Epiphone Masterbilts, etc.

I guess I'm just astonished at how great some of these guitars can sound and feel for so little coin.

Anyway, what I've discovered is that GAS is all in the anticipation.

When I'm waiting for a cheapish guitar to be delivered, I feel exactly the same level of excitement and anticipation that I did when I was accumulating more expensive gear.

Thoughts?

2. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

One man's trash is another man's treasure

3. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I think that's why the pedal traffic is so crazy on here. Even cheaper fix. I agree the buzz is the same.

/rick

4. outlawten5

outlawten5 Member

I collect 80's MIJ Charvels and Jacksons. Paid less than $500 for all but 1 and they are monster players with a good set-up. Thinking of branching out to Kramer and Ibanez soon. lol

5. bt2513

bt2513 Member

I agree a lot with this post. Certain gear purchases make me more excited than others but its always fun getting something new. I have expensive stuff, cheap stuff, and free stuff. It all gets played with.

I've recently tried to back off on gear purchases and really try to learn the equipment I have. Then I bought my first modular synth unit...

6. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

I did that for a while until a thought popped in my head: maybe the high end stuff is better than all my luthier hot rodded low end stuff - I must find out.

7. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

It's sad and amusing that the second to last guitar I bought was $5400. The last guitar I bought was $699. The $699 parts Tele slays all of my other $$$ guitars including said $5400 guitar. Good ones come at all price points.