something odd

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by w00dsy, Dec 26, 2009.

1. w00dsy

w00dsy Member

i discovered something a little odd on my Cole Clark. I noticed it the other day while sitting with it unplugged watching tv. I would hit a C (on the D string 10th fret) and the note would keep on ringing even when i had muted the strings. I thought i was imagining it at first but i then discovered it was the bridge still ringing. It only does it with that C on the other strings as well, any other note and it stops dead as soon as i mute the strings. How odd. :dunno

2. Blurillaz

Blurillaz Member

It must be haunted. Sent it to me so I can give it an exorcism.

3. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W. Gold Supporting Member

The bridge? Are you sure its not one of the strings behind the nut ringing? One of the Strings from the tuner to the nut is probably tuned to C.

4. w00dsy

w00dsy Member

when i put my hand on the bridge it's vibrating.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Floating trem? Resonant claw spring?

6. Sadhaka

Sadhaka Member

How old is the guitar, mate?

Try changing the strings and see if the problem persists. The bridge itself would not be sustaining the note, at least not with a similar timbre as a fretted note, nor would a loose brace.

Please excuse my presumption that you may not know this approach to string installation... Forgive me if you install strings like this:

Make sure that there isn't any string below the bridge peg... It could be that the ball end ring is vibrating. Curve the the ball end section a little before placing it into the hole, then put the peg in above it and slide the string through the hole nice and snug. As you tune up, you may notice the peg rising a little and gently press it back in while the guitar comes to tune.

I hope this helps a fellow Aussie!

7. Sadhaka

Sadhaka Member

Cole Clarke's are Australian made steel string acoustics :)

8. w00dsy

w00dsy Member

nah it's the Col Clark Guardian which is essentially a Strat copy. It's brand new, i don't really see it as a problem, i just noticed it still humming after i had muted the note, i just thought it was odd. It has a Wilkinson vintage style trem, slightly floating, as in there's a bit of pull back to it.

9. Sadhaka

Sadhaka Member

Ummm, that is quite embarrassing :-(

If I had clicked the link in the op I would have realised that but now I look like a fool. I didn't even know he made electrics.

I might crawl back into my hole now... Sorry guys...

So as Tone Terrific said... Resonant claw spring???

:-(

10. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

Trem springs. I have a strat that does it on the "B". I actually tuned it to a B - I have 5 springs on the claw, and the bridge flat against the body. I messed with the tension of the springs until you can hear it ring on a B note - particularly the 12th fret B string.

I've heard it on other strats as well. Just kind of a quirk of the trem design.

11. w00dsy

w00dsy Member

no need to feel ashamed, their acoustic range is very popular, and their electric stuff is still the minor player in their arsenal. Great guitars though, i'd love to have a play of their acoustics. They look terrific and get great reviews.