something other than velcro?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by royd, Mar 3, 2006.

1. royd

royd Member

I'm putting together a new pedal board and don't care to use velcro...

I think I saw a little metal thingy that attached to the screws on the bottom of pedals and then screwed into the board. Does anybody know what I'm talking about or where to get them?

any other ideas?

roy

2. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I had that setup on my gigging board for years. If I was gigging as much as I did in the past I would do it again on a permanent board.

I made them by getting a piece of sliver bike chain, getting a chain breaker and taking it apart. It was a pain...

I have about 36 of them. PM me your address and I will send them to you. I do not plan on using them any more.

I used them in conjunction with a board that I drilled out and put Star Anchors into, the same anchors that you use to put in a wall. That was a time consuming project to do, but I kept that board in heavy use for about 2 years.

M.E.

3. Madsman

Madsman Member

I've seen cable ties work well. Especially on slotted boards like the PedalTrain I'm actually debating doing that myself.

4. nondeplume

nondeplume Puppet For Prophet Gold Supporting Member

I use "HoldTu" Plastic Adhesive made by Dixon...textured like Gum...holds nice and tight, removes real easy, never know it was there AND reusable. The heaviest effect it's holding in place for me atm is an SIB Echodrive...

[​IMG]

works for me an mine, ymmv

5. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I purchased them on eBay from eBay user trixxianvitolo. I think they are called FX Mounts. I don't see where he has any for sale on eBay at the current time but you might send him an email.

They work great with Boss pedals but they might not work with every pedal you have. The upside is once you attach the pedal to the board, it ain't going anywhere. That can be the downside too as you can't move things around quickly if you need to.

6. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Agreed. The work great with Boss, Ibanez and the bigger hammond boxes, but Not with my AM chorus, Neodrive or BYOC stuff since the screws slots are recessed. I haven't been able to find any longer screws yet.

7. moodog

moodog Member

+1 on cable ties. If you build a board that uses press board with holes (like the kind you use in a work shop to hang tools) or you can use un-drilled press board and drill them where you want them. Then cable tie the pedals down. It does not ruin the bottoms like velcro.

8. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    If you're trying to avoid "sticking" something on the bottom of the pedals then ignore this.
    A better material than velcro is 3M Dual Lock. You still have to stick it on but your pedals won't move and dual lock doesn't loosen up like velcro.

9. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

Wow! I've never heard of that stuff. How long does it keep things in place? Do you have to reseat your pedals very often?

10. tocs100

tocs100 Member

Does either the Hold Tu or 3M stick to rubber (so one need not peel the rubber backing off one's pedals)?

11. nondeplume

nondeplume Puppet For Prophet Gold Supporting Member

Keeps things in place till I move them for a purpose. Actually have to pull pretty hard to get them up, the stuff seems to 'adhere' more over time/weight/pressure.

That being said, if your a leadfoot and 'kick' your pedals on as opposed to pressing them on, maybe they'd slide foreward etc..but not a prob for me.

So far it sticks to metal, wood and rubber or w/e it is they put on the bottom of some old MXR/Ibanez pedals. Matter of fact, I just stick the stuff on the 'feet' of newer pedals which seems rubber/plastic based, holds fine.

Crappy thing about it, more-so than velcro is...if you have a cat/dog well, plan on taking them to the gig ala hair..

12. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

...This gives new meaning to owning "fuzz" pedals...:D

13. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

14. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

Other than the "fuzz factor" it sounds like good stuff. Maybe you could put wax or something on the exposed areas to prevent taking the critters to the gig. ;)
    I'll have to try it out.

15. Cokeman

Cokeman Member

Hairspray?