Something Positive From Gibson USA - A CS-336 Love Thread!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Guitar Dave T, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

The Gibson CS-336 has got to be, hands down, the coolest guitar I've ever owned.

Having owned and gigged extensively with 335's, LP's, SG's, Strats and Teles, this guitar is just singularly unique.

It has the flexibility of the classic 4 knob control, the sustain and midrange growl of a Les Paul and the openess and harmonic overtones of a 335, with the upper midrange sweetness of a Tele. I've owned mine for over a year now, and it's funny how it took a while to adjust my touch and technique, but it is now my #1 favorite, especially with an amp that has its own overdrive options.

Got pics? Got clips? Post 'em up here!

[​IMG]
    Infamous Blues Bar, The Hole In The Wall, Dallas, Tx, September 2009, with The Mike Johnson Band, featuring yours truly on G&V, Mike Johnson on sax and vocals, David Fargesen on Electric Bass, and The Amazing Tommy Hill on Drums & vocals.

Here's a clip of the CS336 with an Omega modified (redesigned) Hot Rod Deluxe amp, no OD pedals or other effects (with my band, Revival, same club, also September, 2009): http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=977750&songID=8437865

2. Pikesoldier

Pikesoldier Member

sounds good! one of these days i'll try picking up another hollowbody, if i can ever get over this fender kick. (bought another strat this morning.)

3. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Amp and guitar sound like they go together well Dave.
    One of these days I've got to get my butt out to see ya'll.

4. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I have enjoyed my CS-336. It is not my #1 guitar, but it could be. :)

[​IMG]

5. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

6. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

This guitar shows that after all the crap Gibson has released recently, they can still create a masterpiece clearly honoring their traditions when they put their mind to it. I've played a few of these, and it's not exactly my cup of tea, but it was obviously a terrific guitar and every molecule a Gibson.

7. rhollyday

rhollyday Silver Supporting Member

How much different is a CS-336 than a 339?

8. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Aside from the general appearance, night and day difference. The 339 shares more in common tonally with a 335. The CS-336 is unique sounding in every way, like an extremely open sounding, harmonically complex Les Paul.

Appearance wise, the 339 is slightly thicker than the 336, and has a different body angle at the neck pickup which isn't conducive for the neck pickup mounting parallel with the strings.

9. surfshack

surfshack Member

my CS 336p.....
    i love this guitar such a killer alternative to the LP and 335!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Now there's three guitars that should cover a lot of ground!

I love the plain top on that sunburst CS-336. It gives it a real vintage flavor. My first 335, a '74 cherry red, and all the 335 style Gibsons I remember "back in the day" were plain tops.

BTW, here's Freddie King's '67 355 for sale on EBAY: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180375852258

11. surfshack

surfshack Member

thanks man......it plays as good as it looks too!

12. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Well here's your chance! I'll be with Revival at Nate's in Allen Saturday night, the 26th, from 6:30 - 10:30. Revival is a deep-cuts band focusing on dual guitar harmony stuff with a groove. Allmans, Little Feat, Steely Dan, and whatever catches our fancy on a given night. Saturday, we've got grammy drummer, Warren Dewey.

I WILL BE PLAYING THE 336 AS MY #1, AS USUAL.

Saturday Night, December 26, 6:30-10:30
    Nate's Seafood in Allen
    (Real Good Louisiana Gumbo and Crawfish Etouffee!)
    190 East Stacy Rd, Suite 1800
    Allen, TX 75002
    (972) 678-2223
    Click Here for Google Map

13. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I love the 336's.

I wish Gibson would hype and market these and the LP Axcess as much as they do the Dark Fires and the Robots. These are guitars that solve real problems and players want.

14. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I used to live about a mile from the Hole in the Wall.

15. stratlad

stratlad Member

Guitar Dave T: Nice playing man - some very tasty chops there. I have CS 336 with a natural plaintop. Very versatile guitar. I wanted to thin my guitar herd and took a long time deciding whether I'd keep my R7LP or the 336 but in the end the 336 won. It sounds better live and "work" better with more amps than the LP did while retaining some good LP mojo - but with more openess and clarity.

Cheers.

16. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

Gibson seems to put a lot more work into their semi-hollow & hollow guitars. Nicer fit & finnish.

17. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've been looking for a red one like yours to come up in the Emporium so I can buy it!

Now this has fueled my GAS for one!

18. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I have always thought that the most beautiful looking 335's were the plain grained ones.
    Just seems right due to, as you said, almost all of them were in the past.

19. A440

A440 Supporting Member

not a 336, but a close relation :)

here's my 356. Dave, I noticed you wrap your strings over the tailpiece. I'll have to give that a try next time I restring.

[​IMG]

big jilm likes this.
  20. Bad Juju

Bad Juju Supporting Member

I bought a 336 sometime around the mid 90s if I remember right. Not sure if they still are, but it was from the Historic Custom Shop or some similar name Gibson was using.

The guitar flat out sang, was sweet when you wanted it to be and growled when you dug in hard. Through a Budda Verbmaster, Fulltone FD II and Ultimate Octave it was just plain sweet.

The finish on it was not very good though - overspray on the f-holes, minor binding issues, etc., but it sounded excellent. Sold it a few years after I had it and now these newer ones are looking so much nicer, and from the sounds of it, still sound great.