1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Something soothing for a Sunday AM

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by davetcan, Oct 23, 2005.

1. davetcan

davetcan Supporting Member

2. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

Good one Dave. I think you sent me that BT. Haven't got to it yet. Nice playing Dave.

3. Normster

Normster Member

Smooth!:dude

Everytime I hear this backing I expect to hear Smokey Robinson to start crooning "Ooooh, baby, baby." ;)

4. davetcan

5. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Hi Dave,

This is the 2nd time I went to go listen to it, the first time I was turned off the the lack of direct link, but this time I went through and listened to all of it.

My opinion is that it's pretty good, and from one beginner to another, these are my thoughts:

1. For a smooth relaxing piece, it's pretty good as is, but for an overall instrumental piece, the first 2 min / 30 seconds sound a little repetitive and scaly, I would shorten that bit to about one minute before jumping into some faster playing.

2. Your vibrato sounds a little nervousy. Go ahead and wrangle that string all you can. If your guitar isn't out of tune after you finish a tune with vibrato, you're possibly not bending that string enough!!

3. Your tone is very smooth, silky and violiny, what kind of fuzz/OD are you using? It sounds a lot like my '69 pedal when played clean without modulation.

4. Overall it's great, probably better than all my stuff, but from my listening perspective, I'd love to hear you rip it up more and take that vibrato to the next level!!

Post some more, direct linking would be cool if your host lets you.

Keep on playing, recording, and posting!!

6. davetcan

Thanks for listening Ted.

I'm slowly working on the vibrato, trying to slow it down a bit and give it some meat. As for effects it was all digital, just my LP STD with darkburst pups direct into a Johnson J-Station, I don't remember what patch I used.
    I tend to get very carefull when I'm recording something, afraid to make too many mistakes, which results in the repetitive scaly stuff that you hear. I'll try to force myself out of my little box :D

7. tedm

a great tip on vibrato practice that Lance (llham here) gave me a year or two ago was to play the note you want to practice vibrato with at the standard position, then bend it up say a step and clearly listen to both notes, then play the note and bend it up to the next step and wiggle it. Then you can clearly hear if you're bending out of tune.

However, the above method can be kind of constrained, you might learn to do vibrato like BB King, but another kind of vibrato is to just bend a string as hard and as far as you can, so some would say that's not proper or musical. Try everything.

btw, the teachers here, who are good, have given up on me, but there's hope for you ;)

oh, and don't play baroque :)

8. lhallam

lhallam Member

Sounds good Dave.

I'm not sure how clear Ted was, if you find this redundant my apologies.

Exercises for practicing vibrato:

Start on the 1st fret low E string, 1st finger
    Play the note
    Apply vibrato
    Play the next fret F# with your 2nd finger
    Apply vibrato
    Play the next fret G with your 3rd finger
    Apply vibrato
    Play the next fret G# with your 4th finger
    Apply vibrato

Do the same on the 5th or A string
    Do the same on the 4th or D string
    Do the same on the 3rd or G string
    Do the same on the 2nd or B string
    Do the same on the 1st or E string

Go back down each note and string. Then start the whole thing again, this time beginning with 2nd fret 6th string.

This is a great way to warm up.

If this is too tough, it's OK to start the whole exercise on the E string, 5th fret, 1st finger, apply each finger, go to next string.

For practicing vibrato whilst bending:

1st play the target note for a tonal reference, bend to it, then apply vibrato.

For example.

On the 1st string, play D (10th fret)
    Then play C (8th fret 1st string) and bend up to the D until it sounds in tune, then apply vibrato.

You can do the same exercise as above except play your target note 1st then bend to it.

You can do this with 1/2 steps. whole steps, minor 3rds and if you have the strength major 3rds.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Ted I haven't given up on you. You just need to take private lessons instead of getting tons of confusing advice on the forum.

9. davetcan

Excellent !

Really well explained and something I can start work on right away, thanks.

When I post anything I'm really looking for constructive critiscism. If I do something well then it's always good to hear it but I'm always open to anything that may help me improve. I've been stuck in this minor pentatonic rut for a long time and I 'm finding it very difficult to break out so please, everyone, don't be afraid to recommend stuff, I'm very open to suggestions.

Thanks again Ihallam.

10. tedm

On being stuck on the minor pentatonics, I'm stuck there too. I've had many a comment to that on my clips. I don't know the best way out of the rut, so I'm looking forward to replies to your question as well.

One thing I've run into is there are some backing tracks out there where only a major scale sounds right over. The other thing I've done is to just consciously play major scales repeatedly over a backing, and then eventually soloing with only the notes in the major scale that sound good, if that makes sense.

Another thing I've done was to incorporate the minor blues scale, which is just one more note than the minor pentatonic, but I use that scale interchangeably.

Also, if you examine the key of the song, say C, and you're gravitating towards Am pentatonic (6th), try G major and C major scales (5th and root). I hope this helps. Again, I'm no expert and will be looking forward to better replies to your questions than what I can answer with.

11. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

Dave,
    I prefer slow vibrato to fast vibrato. You can tell by my style. Don't be afraid to let your hair down. You doing very good. You have a lot of feel in your playing, and that's a good start. If you don't make mistakes, your not trying hard enough. LOL
    Keep up the good work. :AOK