Something surprisingly good?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Cheddar Kung Pao, Jul 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cjp54

cjp54 Member

Recently tried out a Taylor GS Mini Bass and had a blast playing that thing. It will be in my collection in the near future.

I Love my Gibsons and Fenders expensive and cheaper ones as well as my production amps and boutique amp. Buy what you like and can afford and don't rain on anyone's parade either way!!

2. Telechamp

Telechamp Member

My Ibanez AS73 that I picked up for a song on Craigslist. Surprisingly good guitar.

[​IMG]

stephax, cam.man67 and BobK like this.
  3. nastynate

nastynate Member

An Ibanez Jet King 2 that was mis-marked at Guitar Center for $100. It's a funky offset guitar with a nice satin neck and coil taps on each pickup controlled by rocker switches on the pickguard.
    [​IMG]

stephax and cam.man67 like this.
  4. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Member

It was my "go to d-k move" at GC that once I heard some upstart trying too hard and too loud to impress for too long (and it was always with a $2K+ guitar in a big amp), I would grab a $250 https://reverb.com/item/5636693-ibanez-gax70-electric-guitar-in-transparent-red-with-tkl-gig-bag (*cheapest guitar in the house)
    plug it into a basic a basic 'ok' amp and quietly roll through some EJ, Govan, Segovia, Rhoads and Satriani stuff.

Its funny how even at whisper volume levels would have them quickly just turn off the amp and walk out.

-I am not saying it was the cool thing to do....or nice. I have outgrown that mindset and am much more supportive to people, even when they are trying to show off.

All this said that cheap POS Ibanez is a monster little guitar.

~JH

5. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Not sure how much a surprise it is because it's been getting killer reviews for years , but the Squier J. Mascis Jazzmaster. I chose it over the MIM Fender Classic Player and MIA Fender American Pro.

6. Bertiman

Bertiman Member

My oldest son just got a danelectro baritone guitar and it sounds absolutely amazing... one of the richest most harmonically complex sounding electric guitars I've played.

cam.man67 and Befuddled like this.
  7. kwaping

kwaping Guitar payer

The Digitech Trio+Looper was my most surprisingly good purchase lately. I expected it to be very complicated and hard to start using, but it was really plug and play. So much depth, so many variations - it's really changed the game for me. It's re-ignited my love for guitar (I had drifted off into bass for a while).

If you're on the fence, or maybe intimidated by it - pull the trigger! I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

8. p.j.

p.j. Member

I have a Kala U-bass, which is a ukelele bass that I got last summer. I am definitely wanting a Taylor bass now. (Damn my tiny acoustic bass addiction!)

9. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Bought a quilter amp head 50 watt model
    Thought it's cheap see what it's all about
    All I can say these things sound awesome granted I played it through a bogner cube but great amps

Befuddled likes this.
  10. Liversage

Liversage Member

I bought my nine year old daughter one of the relatively new Squier Bullet Mustang HH guitars in Imperial Blue for her birthday. It was this or one of those three-quarter sized mini fender strats. For £115, new, this thing is the biggest surprise I've had in 20 years of buying and playing guitar gear. It's amazing for the money. A fantastic starter short-scale electric, very playable, sounds particularly good with drive, and it's very light. She loves it. Obviously I now want one. I've already got several "guitars for just leaving around the living room", but am now thinking I need one for the car, or the porch etc.

http://shop.fender.com/en-GB/squier-electric-guitars/mustang/bullet-mustang-hh/0311220587.html

Cheddar Kung Pao likes this.
  11. strumnhum

strumnhum Member

My big surprise came when, after not playing for a LONG time, and listening to some local bands, my wife asked me why I quit. I said I didn't think I played well-she told me I sounded better than most of the bands we were hearing, so off we go shopping. Bought a Roland amp(used) and went to a local Music Go Round to look at used guitars. Tried several, nothing clicked. Then she handed me a Samick Greg Bennett UM-1 off the wall. Never heard of the brand previously. It was dull, scratched up, needed a set up, but sounded surprisingly good--other shoppers in the store were coming over to where I was playing to check out what guitar I was using. They were as surprised as me when they saw it!! Bought it, used some compound and car wax (cleaned up better than I expected). Liked it so much I had a pro set-up done on it. What a player now! Tone-wise and playability wise, it's a real decent guitar--don't plan on ever parting with it, as it got me back into playing once more, and enjoying it.

12. davess23

davess23 Member

We recently bought my girlfriend a Blueridge BR-143 that plays and sounds better than it has any right to. My acoustic guitars are Collings and Santa Cruz, and I didn't expect we'd find anything impressive for the money we budgeted. This all-solid-woods mahogany/spruce 000 brings it, though. I posted a full review a while ago in the acoustic section, so I won't go into detail here. All I'll say is that the Blueridge isn't just "good value for the money"-- it's a good guitar, period.

13. Jonny G

Jonny G Member

They aren't that common so when I saw one advertised on fleabay at a sensible price I snagged it fast. Did it's first gig last week and actually got compliments from the audience members (!!) on the tone and the sound guy asked to try it after the gig. Hi praise indeed :)

Road King likes this.
  14. Daka3

Daka3 Member

The Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Firebird I. Best thing I picked up in years.

willie k likes this.
  15. Befuddled

Befuddled Supporting Member

I've recently discovered the joys of big strings!
    I got 11s on my g&l that will soon be 12s once I play them, and I just put 12s on my epiphone les paul with 57/08pups and wow the sustain!
    It feels much more engaging to play, way more energy to them - albeit a lumbering, heavy piano strings kind of energy.

16. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

Planet Waves Patch cables. I bought them as I needed a quick fix and they had next day delivery. Moulded plugs are great, they seem super durable which is my primary concern with patch cables. That was almost a year ago and I recently ordered some more to complete the entire board with them. Maybe not as 'neat' as custom made but they've really given me peace of mind, will order again if needed.

kwaping likes this.
  17. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I think Sammick makes more guitars than any other manufacturer, including many for some of the brands you know quite well. the Greg Bennett line is very nice. I had a 335 style that played great years ago.

18. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

19. AlanH

AlanH Member

Used by one of the world's most famous musicians:

20. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

I personally am amazed at the quality of recently built MIM Strats in the $499 - $799 range. I am a noob to the electric guitar but at a bone stock level these guitars sound fantastic to me.

Ghast likes this.