Something that gets you annoyed at the store checkout?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Old Possum, Jul 10, 2019.

1. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I'd have to exchange words in that situation.

Another one, and I imagine it's not politically correct, is cashiers with skin issues. I don't really want someone with lesions all over their arms and hands handling my food

2. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

well, usually at Walmart we do the self-checkout, b/c they have no checkout people w/ the lines....the thing that kills me, is i'm doing all the work and yet the items cost the same

3. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

Hand scanner and self checkout FTW!

NtS likes this.
  4. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

Aldi's is great. Plus when the new cashier arrives, they will point to the next person in line, and say "M'am / sir, you can move to aisle X to check out". Plus they toss the checked items into a cart so there's no waiting.

Washburnmemphis and Travst like this.
  5. Gig Young

Gig Young Orson Wells; Mercury Theater 1935 Silver Supporting Member

BS

On nothing from nothing = nothing

bc you got to have something, if you want to be with meee...

6. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

Many of you should thank your lucky stars that you didn't have to shop when there were no scanners whatsoever!
    Price tags on each item, cashier manually punched in one at a time.

And I don't get the backlash against coupons; you're darn right I use them! However, I have each applicable one ready when I get in line so it processes timely.

My one issue involves the major grocery chain the the Pittsburgh region - the name is like "Big Bird", and anyone nearby knows who I am referring to. I wish Wegmans (a great chain originating out of Rochester NY area, extending down into northern and central PA through VA) would infiltrate and knock GE down a few pegs.

Wegmans has no self checkout aisles, and plenty of employees - friendly and efficient no less - manning them. My wife noticed one philosophic difference in their business models: Wegmans has large courtesy umbrellas at the doors, with a sign reading to use the umbrellas and leave with the cart outside. "Big Bird" will sell you an umbrella at the door.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  7. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

Someone walks out of the store and stops right out of the automatic doors reach to google something.

8. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

My thought on self-checkout is this: I don't mind using it. But, since I am saving you money by using it, why don't you knock 5% off of my bill?

When fast-food joints started "letting" people fill their own drink cups, everyone thought it was great. I told my wife I could see it coming ... where we would do our own checkout to allow the store to hire less employees - yet charge us the same.

9. MrSteve

MrSteve Member

Traditional WIC transactions do bottleneck things at the register. You'll be happy to know that all 50 stated should have e wic fully in place by next October. We have it in Maryland and wic transactions now take no more time than any other card based payment.

10. MrSteve

MrSteve Member

What about the farm workers, processing/packaging plant works, stickers and clerks and other customers that have handled your food before the cashier?

11. RocknRollAnimal

RocknRollAnimal Member

Think I heard about this recently as an actual story in a 'news of the weird' type segment on the radio. People are out of their friggin minds sometimes :bonk

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Nevets likes this.