Something to recover lost Mids with buffer usage

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kingdavidy2k, Mar 14, 2015.

1. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

I like my buffer. It restore the high end on my chain.
    But what I found with buffers, it shifted the mids, kinda like scooping it a bit.
    Does anyone else hears that?

How do we solve this problem?
    EQ pedal? Would any of these pedals fix this problem?
    -Diamond boost EQ
    -Audiotech MB-1 Mid Boost
    -Empress ParaEQ
    -ROTHWELL F1 BOOSTER?

2. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

It's much more likely that the buffer brought you back to flat response. It may seem like the mids are lower, but I'd bet that that isn't the case.

At any rate, the VFE Rocket EQ is very nice, if you decide to go that route.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

^^+1. A buffer shifts the resonant peak back to "flat". Capacitance will shift the peak down, reducing his but also focusing more on the mids. OP it may just be that you prefer an unbuffered signal chain. Nothing wrong with that. And given the old audio adage "cut before boost" you might find that adding an EQ and boosting mids, while keeping the buffer, gets you even farther from the goal line. Just a thought.

4. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

Just get some long cables. Youre overthinking. Either you like your buffer or ya dont.

5. chaeridley

chaeridley Member

Long cable runs create a low pass filter. This basically means that the longer the cable run the more high end will be missing. When you place a buffer after your guitar it negates the cable run after. Generally this "brightens" the sound or de-emphasizes the once relatively louder mids.

6. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

The only buffer I've found to not mess with your midrange (and I completely agree with you btw) is the LA Sound Design PI-01. It has the most natural EQ and is an incredible interface as well. I'm a big fan of LASD's work, but even without their boards, I'd totally recommend this interface for a buffering solution. Also helpful is the vintage/modern switch which can pad down the high end if necessary.

[​IMG]

7. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

Does the buffer really make things flat? Doesn't it just move the peak, and the subsequent roll off of frequencies above the peak, higher? I suppose if you move the peak out of the audible range it would flatten things out, but I don't think that's what happens, though I'm relying on memory and haven't done the calculations.

8. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Well, it's an RC network, so if you make the Resistance low enough the Capacitance doesn't really matter, at least for any value C that you might find in a cable, and for the guitar audio range.

9. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

I normally leave the "Cut before boost" to my sound man. I try to give him as much as bandwith he can get so then he can do cutting before boosting thing. Do you reckon?

10. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Looks interesting. Thanks for that. Very expensive though. What buffers have you tried before? Just want to get a comparison between this and other regular buffers.

I don't need the stereo outs. I wonder if they can make a smaller cheaper one with just mono out?

Thanks again.

11. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

I believe they can make you a simple in/out with their buffer.

Buffers (stand alone and in pedals) I've tried....

- Psionic Audio Telos
    - Klon/KTR/Aluminum Falcon/Archer
    - th1smyne
    - Suhr buffer/iso boost
    - Boss pedals
    - Roger Mayer Voodoo 1 (this is my favorite out of the bunch. still scooped and a little bright though)

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Empress is great EQ, will do exactly as you need but I switched to a Rocket EQ, being as 95% time I was just using parametric in mids. It's a bit cheaper, smaller and has full variable Q, quality is easily on par with Empress, 9v power but runs at 18v for more headroom. It will do exactly what your asking perfectly.

Might look at his Focus too, but I haven't tried it yet. It's a adjustable mids shelving EQ.

[​IMG]

13. Phletch

Phletch Member

14. nerdbot

nerdbot Member

This is probably what's happening here.

15. cacibi

cacibi Member

Exact. Same. Story.

+1

16. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

Nerdblot (and others) have it right. Whenever you shift the resonant peak upward and extend the highs your ears hear it as "less mids."

You may prefer your tone unbuffered (with a bit of a downward shift in resonant peak and earlier high end roll off). Or you can just turn up the mids a bit on your amp or turn down the highs a bit.

n

17. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

I prefer my tone straight from guitar to amp un buffered. But guitar to board to amp? I definetely don't like the unbuffered tone on that.

I think I'll try the Rocket or Empress EQ thing.
    I don't think there is anything that can recreate exactly the tone and feel of "guitar straight to amp" on a "guitar to board to amp" situation.

18. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Member

Where in your chain are you placing the buffer? Most people automatically put it at the front of the chain, or right after wahs and fuzzes, but I've always preferred mine at the end of the chain where it can restore any lost highs and drive the long cable to the amp without getting in between my pickups and dirt pedals.

I'm just saying, before you add the EQ pedal, try the buffer in various positions in the chain. There's no rule that says it must go at the beginning.

Also, you may find adding the EQ negates the need for the buffer. After all, any active pedal IS a buffer effectively, so no need for two pedals unless they're at two different locations in your signal chain.

19. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

I did did try placing the buffer in different places. I like to put it after my drives as my drives sound more natural and pleasing before the buffer.

20. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Member

I'm so happy to hear you say that! I completely agree!!! :beer