Something with humbuckers..............

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by major-minor, Feb 4, 2015.

1. major-minor

major-minor Member

I'm a strat/tele guy. Always have been. Lately thinking I'd like to have something with humbuckers-----just for a different flavor.

Would an SG be a good choice for someone used to Fender guitars? Found a nice used 61 reissue (Les Paul) that I like. It seems to have a slightly "brighter" humbucker sound.

Does that make sense? Opinions appreciated.

2. .

. Senior Member

I think so. In the midst of a tele binge, I fell in love with a white 2013 SG standard. Love em

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  3. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Surprisingly I would say a 335 is the best choice for a Fender guy. The airy quality and versatile tone gives you the classic humbucker tone but with just enough twang and funk to help you relate to your Fenderness.

4. major-minor

major-minor Member

I certainly like the looks of a 335 better than the SG.

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

SGs and Fenders have a very different feel to them. SGs are great guitars, but if you're used to Fenders, you may want to look at one of the Fender or G&L HH style Telecasters.

6. doc

doc Member

I'd play some before choosing. I'd probably also suggest a Les Paul or something very Gibson - jump in with both feet. If you were going the other direction (used to playing LPs and wanting to get into Fenders) - I wouldn't be suggesting that you get a set neck mahogany Tele with humbuckers to "ease into it" - you want to experience whats great about the difference. I'd be advising you to get an ash body, maple board and classic single coil guitar.

7. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

As someone whos played Fenders for years, the "best" humbucker guitar for a Fender guy is the PRS DGT. The neck and trem make you feel right at home, but the tone is oh so sweet. Big, fat, and twangy.

8. Promit

Promit Member

It's really worth spending some time with an LP. I ultimately didn't get along with that style of guitar, but I learned a lot about what a guitar can be in the non Fender vein, good and bad.

9. major-minor

major-minor Member

I think I can adjust to the feel. Ironically-----I just do not care for the way a Les Paul feels. The SG's thinner body appeals to me more. I also like the PRS feel , and have not ruled one of those out.

Humbuckers just always seem alittle "muddy" to me. I suppose I'm just used to single coils. I'd like a bucker guitar that I'm able to get a brighter sound out of----yet still maintaining that humbucker tone.

I need tone controls that will give me a nice sweep so that I'm able to bring in some highs when I want.

10. doc

doc Member

As far as mud goes, the pickups are the more important variable. Go with a low wind PAF type humbucker and you'll be impressed with the treble clarity available. Nothing wrong with SGs at all, I personally don't find them as comfortable or to have the sounds I like as reliably as with Les Pauls. Make sure you get one with 500K (or higher) pots to get all the available treble on tap.

11. major-minor

major-minor Member

This one has Classic 57's. Not sure about the pots.

There is also a very nice Gibson Midtown Classic with Burstbuckers that I'm tempted to explore some more. Any thoughts on the Midtown?

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Good choice. Another would be a PRS 'Paul's Guitar' (if you're willing to spend a bit more), which comes with their version of mini-hums. And don't forget that SG's also come with P-90's, which bridge the humbucker/single coil gap to a degree.

13. LeGar

LeGar Supporting Member

I've always been a Fender guy, but recently I picked up a new Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet and it has been a very smooth transition. It is quickly becoming one of my main players; I can only imagine how good the Duo Jet is. The Gretsch Filtertrons have great brightness and a lot of snap.

14. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Buy this before i do something very bad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

Don't rule out a S or T style with 'buckers. Different than short-scale guitars. Best of both worlds, IMO. The 25.5" scale length makes a significant difference in note clarity and separation.

16. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Danocaster Mongrel. Been wanting one myself a long time. Bridge humbucker/ P90 neck in a telecaster! :drink

17. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

How about a used Toronado? It's like Fender's version of the SG, more or less. There were various iterations, and the one pictured looks like a 2004.

[​IMG]

18. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

Just go full throttle: having a strat, a tele, and a les paul are what it's all about!

19. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

There's the physical feel of the body & neck. Then there's the tone. If you like the Tele feel, then get a Tele-shape with humbuckers. My Chapin Hawk has the humbucker sound but with some snap. There's also the foil humbucker.