Something wrong with my Germino Classic 45?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lgehrig4, Sep 26, 2006.

1. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I just bought a used C45 and picked it up tonight. First thing I noticed when I flipped the standby was a pretty noticible buzz/humming sound even with the volumes down. It sounds like barber shop clippers. When I try to play it's real flubby sounding and ghost notes everywhere. Almost like I am playing through an octave pedal and reverb at the same time.

I already email the seller, but I would like to hear what you guys think as well. What a disappointment. I've been dying to hear this this amp.

Thanks
    Jeff

2. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

check the rect. tube bro. In fact remove and reinstall all your tubes man.

3. lgehrig4

Just so I'm clear, replace with new tubes or just reinstall the current ones?

4. Free

Free Member

EDIT: I'm an idiot - I just read that you said you "picked it up", so I'm deleting my shipping theory...

5. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Unseat/completely remove all the tubes 1 at a time, and replace with the SAME ones first .. It really sounds like 1 of your tubes isn't seated completely in the socket. Be sure none of the tubes (pres or rectifier) are MILKY white as they might 've developed a small break .. If it is, replace that one. Then if the amp is still doing this, NO tubes are broken , and they're all firm in their sockets... there's probably something else the matter. I'm assuming you know how to tell if POWER TUBES are running somewhere in the ballpark current/bias-wise... ie.. if 1 of them is totally red or orange, turn your amp off, and don't be running it with them! GOOD LUCK

ERIC

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Oh man, that is the best description of the C45 sound I've read yet! :eek:

Just kidding. :crazy

Something is wrong, for sure. Could be a lot of things. But tubes are relatively fragile devices that wear out with use, so I'd check there first.

7. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

8. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

+1 on Calling Greg-Great guy, and will help you find the problem, without a doubt-These are great amps, probably a simple fix-:AOK

9. lgehrig4

I didn't get a chance to last night. I'm going to call Greg today and try everything I'm told this evening. Another thing I forgot to mention is that there is not much volume. Probably the same amount as my 15watt Vox Valvtronix .

I find it hard to believe that it was fine before he sold it to me. Unless he was using something else or loaned it so someone he had to know about this. I'm sure the 25 minute car ride didn't do this.

10. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

my guess is a bad power tube. do you have an extra set of 6L6's, KT66's, or EL34's? they all work in that amp.

11. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Sounds like a tube to me Jeff. It's the minor draw back of having a tube amp.Maintance is just a issue that come up sometimes.I believe a very minor fix and sometimes solved by just reseating the tubes.Good luck.

Johnny

12. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Unlikely in a quality new amp, but it sounds like one of the power supply caps is gone or has become disconnected. Could also be a bias supply cap.

If tube swapping doesn't help, it's off to the amp tech!

13. lgehrig4

If tube swapping doesn't work, it's off to the seller. I paid for a working amp and since it wasn't shipped we can't blame UPS. If I have to pay a tech and buy new tubes I might as well have bought a new one.

He seemed like a really cool guy so I'm not worried. More impatience on my part. I've been dying to hear this after selling my LoVo55.

Greg was on the phone when I tried him, but he is calling me back so I'll let you guys know what he says.

Thanks
    jeff

14. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I had some issues with preamp tubes, and once those were changed out, it was good to go. Try tapping on the tubes with a pencil and listen to see if any make weird noises. That can help narrow the problem down pretty quickly too.

15. lgehrig4

I just got off the phone with Greg and from my description he suspects that it is the output tubes. I've decided to send him the amp to check out, replace the tubes and upgrade to current specs. He also doubted that this just occurred as soon as I got it as opposed to being gradual.

Serial #13. Anyone have one from this era? 2004?

16. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I own #004, the 212 combo reviewed in the Guitar Player magazine article. It's been upgraded since to current specs, and I replaced the Greenback RIs with a pair of Heritage Ms. It's a great sounding amp, not as aggresive or loud as a Lead 55, and has one of the best clean tones I've ever heard in ANY amp. I just run the amp volume all the way up and go from clean to dirty with the volume knob on the guitar. I might ad a little boost if I want to take it over the top.

Greg is a great guy and will get you fixed right up.

17. myles111

myles111 Member

Power tubes would be the first thing I would check .... unbalanced tubes if a bit off or a bad one will cause hum.

next .... swap out the preamp tubes, one at a time.

If there is still a problem you may have lost a ground connection or could be a bad filter cap.

18. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

WE gave him advice for 10 posts, but he didn't want it. He's sending it to the builder. Did you read any of it?

Eric

19. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

I had an early C45 and it is one fine amp!

20. lgehrig4

It's not that I didn't want it or appreciate it. After speaking with Greg I realized that my best bet would be to have him look it over and update to new C45 specs. He's not charging for labor so it's a no brainer.

I tried replacing the preamp tubes from one of my other amps last night, but the results were the same. I did not replace the power tubes or rectifier. All tubes were glowing and appeared to be operating.

Greg said that he switched from KT66 to EL34 in his C45 because the KT66's had a tendency to become unbalanced (lose bias) when pushed.

Greg's customer service is 2nd to none in my experience.