Sometimes I think I should just focus on one instrument then I see this guy...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cantstoplt021, Feb 24, 2015.

1. cantstoplt021

cantstoplt021 Member

Wow. Check this guy out. The first clip shows him playing guitar, bass, drums, and piano over some jazz/fusion stuff. The other clips are medleys of Sting and Paul Mccartney tunes. This guy is good. This is what I aspire to.

2. Sheherezadeh

Sheherezadeh Member

Incredible. When people are impressed by the fact that I can play half a dozen instruments decently I need to start showing them this.

3. cantstoplt021

cantstoplt021 Member

I don't know how you get this good at these different things? I guess playing from a young age and practicing each of them everyday.

4. Der JD

Der JD Member

Right. Seems that most people who get really good, especially when it involves multiple instruments, start young and practice their butts off at least throught their early 20s. I've notice that they also often come from a family with at least one active musician, often several. They're surrounded by it completely when they're young.

I'd love to be really good at several instruments but at this point in my life it's simply not going to happen. Hard enough to get good at one. Not enough hours in the day.

5. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

cantstopit?

stop worrying about this and that & set out to make the music you want to make.

6. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Learning the 2nd-Nth instruments is like languages. They often get easier as many of the musical concepts and procedures are there from learning the earlier instruments. It's just a matter of building up the neural pathway, muscle coordination and learning the role/mindspace of the instrument.
    Of course, there are really big discrepancies between a piano and drums, but musicality overrides...

7. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

So you can buy a bunch of instruments and play with yourself? I'd rather play with other people.

8. Sheherezadeh

Sheherezadeh Member

I would infer that he aspires to the degree of fluency with each instrument that he demonstrates, which can then be applied either solo or in group contexts. And I'm not so sure that aspiration to being a musical auteur is less noble a desire. Prince's studio work, for example.

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Holy crap, that was good!

10. cantstoplt021

cantstoplt021 Member

Good point, but my goal is to be able to play these four instruments well. I love what each of them can do and I don't think I'd be content just playing one.

That's true. Other than the technical differences between the instruments, music is music. They all use the same notes (well except for drums) and guitar and bass are enough alike that you can switch between them to some degree.

I'd imagine this guy has no problem playing with other people on which ever instrument he wants to play. Seems pretty cool to me.