Sometimes I wish it was simpler...(speaker content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by illini, Feb 20, 2016.

1. illini

illini Member

and we just had three speakers to chose from. I have gone through so many threads of people looking for the right speaker for their 212 cab, and I feel I am not any closer to pulling the trigger. Some have gone the route of switching out as many as ten sets before sticking with one they now love. Honestly I don't want to got through all that. I need more power handling than what I have with the two 25 watt Greenbacks currently in the cab. But while I am at it, I would like the cab to have a little smoother top end and a fuller bottom. I play rock not metal.

I am leaning towards:
    G12-65's -- but which version? Heritage? Creamback? Or some other?
    Celestion Lynchback
    Eminence-- A few of these sound good. Red,White and Blue?
    Celestion A Type
    Calling Jim at Scumback

2. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

I know this feeling... Long road and many hours. I ended up with Scumback M75 65 watt in my 2x12 for the same reason. I compared one cab with greenbacks to one cab with various speakers to find which was closest for what I wanted.

Best of luck with this! :D

3. illini

illini Member

Thanks. Do you find the M75's to be much different to the Greenbacks in a 212? I have never played these, but have been very interested.

4. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    I only have a pair of blackbacks to compare to - I find the M75s to be a bit smoother. Contact Jim!

Russ

5. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

OP-why do you say you need more power handling? What amp are you running into it?

6. Structo

Structo Member

Sometimes I wish is was simpler

7. illini

illini Member

I have a seperate shed where I run my amps, so I can run them very loudly if I want. I think the cab should be ok with my 2204, but I have heard on here that I may be pushing my luck. I have recently added a 100 watt Blackstar Series One head to the herd that I would like to run with it, although I am pretty sure my 2204 is louder than it is.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  8. illini

illini Member

Thank you.

Joshlespaul1952 likes this.
  9. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

I think they are a little rounder sounding and less bright and I agree with Geeze, they are smoother than the Reissue greenback. They are way less bright compared to my M65 creambacks which seem surprisingly bright in comparison (I didn't expect that). M75 In my Marshall jcm800 2x12 they are warm yet still have bite with my M type amps. My fender AB165 bassman even likes the M75. Oops off into Fenderville I went. sorry :D

10. nevismusic

nevismusic Member

For what you're looking for they're all solid choices but your best bet would probably be the m75 as suggested or Weber Legacy or silver bell. They'll all be great for the tone and style you're after.

11. illini

illini Member

My 2x12 cab is an 82 JCM 800 cab. I like the character of Greenbacks, and like everything that is being said here about the M75's

12. illini

illini Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I am feeling pretty good about just giving the M75's a go.

nevismusic likes this.
  13. Matt117

Matt117 Supporting Member

I've been through a few speakers, not as many as some. But enough for me to figure out what I wanted and how to get it.
    I settled on weber legacy 55hz 50oz, and legacy 75hz 35oz speakers. Perfect blend for smooth, warm sounds. The bass and extra smooth comes from the 55hz, and the 75hz adds that great bite to the mix. They blend together so good, and give me a very pleasant sound.. I'm settled now for a long time.
    Just wanna find a 2x12 to put them into together, vs the 2 1x12s currently.
    Have you talked to jim yet? His product is very similar, either will be great. Weber use to make the m75s for Jim.

14. Bruce85

Bruce85 Member

Your description reminds me of what I was thinking when I was looking for a speaker to replace my 70/80.

The answer I found was in the G12M 65 Creamback.

15. mikey69

mikey69 Member

1 Ceramic / 1 Alnico Weber?

16. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Going through the same motions as well with my 2x12. Love the cab and the build but the G12T-75s are not my favorite speaker at all. I got the cab used from a TGP member for a great deal and it is in excellent condition but the speakers are coming out of it!

I'm am looking at the G12M-65 Creambacks. Either a pair of them or 1 of them mixed with a V30 in the other hole. I've heard that is a nice combination as well. The cab was initially wired to 16ohm but for this I'm going to grab 2x 16ohm speakers and wire them parallel to 8ohms so I am not switching the cab switch at the back every time I want to use my torpedo live instead of my cab.

It's actually kind of nice to have so many choices!

17. Stormin

Stormin Tele's and Plexis Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

If you like the Greenback tone, then you should look at the Creambacks. They're always in the emporium. I got a pair to replace a pair of Greenbacks for the exact same reason and they sound great. You should be able to get a pair used for ~$200.

18. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

I find this discussion a bit confusing seeing we discuss vintage style and modern style speakers invariably, slightly pushing it towards vintage style ones which tend to have less lows and more and peakier highs. The woody overtones aren't going to be there as much regardless

A period correct speaker for that 2204 would be the G12-65, which is quite a bit fuller, smoother mids and airier highs. Later it was replaced by the G12T75. I would suggest the Heritage G12-65 or the WGS ET65 here, perhaps even the WGS Liberator.

The G12-65 could be said as being designed to sound compressed from the get go. A higher power, vintage flavoured G12M could be a bit peaky bright in this context and it won't compress as much as a 25W:er but stand much stronger. So although a bit fuller in lows and smoother on top it's still peaky bright.

Then a G12M65, a WGS Invader or Weber Legacy or Scumback M65 could be had with a LHDC to shave off some busy highend (with the Celestion you have to replace it manually though), but it's still peakier than the G12-65 albeit less bitey.

19. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of lynchbacks or large dust cap scumbacks with my 2204. You'd probably like the m75 if you want the straight up greenback tone but with more power handling and fuller bass.

20. therealjoeblow

therealjoeblow Member

My favorite rock speaker of all is the Eminence Legend V12. You simply can't go wrong with that speaker, $65, 120 watt power handling. IMO, it is very similar to the G12-65.

I have 2-Peavey Bandit's (red stripe) in a stereo config, and the stock speakers sounded ice-pick harsh in the treble and upper mids, and had almost no low end. I replaced those both with the Legend V12's, and now they sound stellar, those tamed the top end and added all of the missing low end.

Here's a video of the Bandit with the V12's (clean/crunch/classic high gain/modern high gain):

I loved the V12's so much in the bandits that I put a pair into my 2x12 to use with my Marshall JCM 2000 DSL50, and they sound equally fantastic with that amp. They nail the classic rock tones with a very nice full rounded tone, and also sound very nice and chimey when played clean.

Also the stock speakers in the Soldano 4x12's BTW. Like I said, my favorite of all rock speakers. Based on your complaints and my similar experience, I strongly believe these would be the ticket for you!

Cheers
    TRJB

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016