Sometimes there's nothing better than a set of silky smooth Flatwounds.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mrpinter, Mar 22, 2015.

1. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

Let's see some shots of your flattie-equipped guitars. Mine is an old school kind of Tele.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

Flats on my 175s. Love'em. Sometimes, I like the richer harmonic information that rounds bring to the table, but I am a sucker for an old Joe Pass or Pat Martino tone; I also prefer the way they feel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

who makes good flats?
    D'Addarios are not good, IMO.

4. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

Two companies whose flat wounds I've used and can recommend: Thomastik-Infeld and Optima. Both are excellent; the Thomastiks are a little bit smoother physically, the Optimas are a little bit darker in tone and have an equally smooth feel to the fretting fingers. Pyramids have a good reputation but I haven't used them. These strings are a bit pricey, but they last a LONG time.

5. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I think D'Addarios are good, but I like Pyramids best. I also really like Thomastiks.

6. aballen

aballen Member

Kind of amazing what a heavy string can do for your tone.

My very first guitar was an epiphone LP -100 and I still have it. It's over 20 years old now and it really does not sound that good so even though I'm nostalgic about it I don't play it much.

Well, slapped on some smith wound 13s and bam, it actually sounds pretty decent. I think this guitar needs a little more love. Maybe new pups and tuners.

7. g-mane

g-mane Member

I have Thomastiks on my mutant '53 Zephyr. I struggled trying to find its voice for quite awhile, then I put on some flat wounds and "SHAZAM" all was righteous.
    [​IMG]
    I have Chromes on this Harmony Bobkat. Makes me want to play "Day Tripper."
    [​IMG]